BRNC Laptop

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by !5jan, Apr 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At BRNC there is no WIFI apparently, but are there Ethernet ports for internet connection or is there no internet access on site aside from the available computers?
  2. I think you misunderstand the amount of time you will have to yourself when not either doing something or sleeping.

Computers are provided. I'm not sure a laptop would fit into your "personal drawer".
  3. There are no Ethernet connections in the cabins. You may be disappointed at the rooms when you get there if you're expecting such modern fittings.

There are plenty of public computers to use for internet access if you need it. There is a 3G signal though, and your laptop does fit in the personal draw. I took mine and used it to write my essays.
  4. Is that allowed with regard to Syops? at the leadership school nothing is allowed to be done on personal computers for this reason.
  5. In the joining instructions I've got next to me it recommends if you've got a laptop to bring it with you, I assume for the reason of being able to use it for essay writing. As somebody mentioned earlier I expect to have the root sum of bugger all free time, so I can't see the point of bringing a laptop if we're not allowed to write essays with them.
  6. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

You have very limited free time in Militarisation. I took my netbook and barely used it. Getting essays from your personal laptop to the BRNC computers is actually impossible, due to the limitations on using USB drives and the fact that if you burn it to a CD, the computers in the ELC probably won't read them.

You will have more time in Marinisation - then your laptop may be more useful. Bear in mind you will need to bring a dongle/tablet/iPad with you in order to have internet access in your cabin and that not all providers have good reception in the Dartmouth area.
  7. so what network does have good reception?
  8. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm with Three and signal is passable.

Other mobile internet providers are of course available and also receive good signal.
  9. Thankfully, as an SUY I only did Marinisation. I also live in Plymouth and went home every weekend so I could use my own printer, although I did burn one of my essays to a CD and print it off in the library just fine.

It is, plus the essays were for Strat Studies and unclassified.

10. I was thinking more of listening to music while ironing or writing.

Thanks for the info everyone.
  11. Then take an iPod.
  12. What sort of iron?
  13. I'm taking a flat one, I struggle to get a proper crease with the curvy ones.
  14. if you take two you can do both trouser legs at the same time.
  15. Didnt seem to matter at leadership.
  16. I've already got a wavy ironing board so I'll have to take a curved iron.
  17. I've heard Headphones/Earphones are discouraged during training because they are a tad anti-social.
  18. Ive never taken part in social ironing before! Earphones are only anti-social in social surroundings.
  19. When I went through Raleigh social ironing was the way ahead, everyone did it together in a room full of wooden ironing boards.

We had a stereo down there and Bon Jovi was our ironing music.

To this day if I hear 'Keep The Faith' it makes me want to arrange things into perfect A4 piles.

Edited to add: I had an Argos iron that cost £29.99, best I could afford at the time. It was blue.
  20. Im just going to take a travel iron, cant be that much ironing to do.