Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BRNC Joining questions

ml2sjw

Badgeman
Hi all started packing in earnest now, so another question has come up. Personal medicines, nothing major I'm thinking some strepsils(sore throats lozenges) and ibuprofen.

Is it allowed to have a few of these in my personnel kit to deal with the aches and pains I'm sure will pop up in my first few weeks?

I know the sickbay is there for dealing with anything approaching serious but would like to avoid running off to them for an odd paracetamol if at all possible.

Also Chris if you bring a travel guitar, I can take no responsibility for my actions after about two weeks :p

ml2sjw said:
Also Chris if you bring a travel guitar, I can take no responsibility for my actions after about two weeks :p

Ha ha, don't worry i was planning on finding somewhere away from everyone else anyway!!

As for personal medical kit, i'm thinking of taking the same as you as well as some pro-plus. Should think the shop on base has most of what we'll need though.

BOX_KICKER

Midshipman
letthecatoutofthebag said:
ml2sjw said:
letthecatoutofthebag said:
I'd also reccommend a pencil Maglite torch with a blue filter for map reading at night.
away already.

Snipage

Good luck!

Thanks, A penlight of some description was something on my list of things to take that i forgot t put on the list. One thing thought it was a red filter on torches to prevent loss of vision, or does it not really matter as long as you have a filter in one of the primary colors on it? As i'm looking at a some of the new LED ones that come in a variety of colors as my old one had an unfortunate Uni related incident that made it unusable...

The closer the filter is to the red end of the spectrum the less the light will affect your night vision. However, the contour lines are orange on OS Maps, so they won't show up if you use a red filter. Similarly, if you use green you won't see woodland. If you use blue you won't see water, but there's not much water on Dartmoor and what there is is pretty obvious. Check out this map to see some of the areas you will stomping around. Blue will affect your vision the most but at least you will be able to pick routes that aren't sheer cliffs.

IMHO (and experience), on Dartmoor the thing you would like to see most on the map is water!!! Even after a relatively damp spell of weather, the babbling brook that appears on the map can be a raging torrent that can be DANGEROUS to try and cross. Bogs are also marked on the map with blue symbols, just try crossing one in the daytime let alone at night.
Try taking filters of all three colours which certain maglites come supplied with relatively cheaply! That way all your bases are covered and you can check your map against the terrain depending on what you are looking for at the time.

ml2sjw

Badgeman
Good point, My weekend spent hill walking in the beacons, taught me that i really don't like bogs, particularly when they are on top of a mountain(ok well a plateau at the top of a hill) where they have no right to be :p

On another note I'm starting on Monday have just had my last lie in for a very long time and its all hands to panic stations for me !

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Given the fact that you are joining at this time of the year, you won't be doing much route work in the dark.

Unless its as hot as last year when the Heat Stress Index meant that you had to take a break during the day and start again in the evening.

ml2sjw

Badgeman
True, sadly nothing in the world is solved by a good panic, if it were it would be a far better place :p Still with my bags packed, everything triple checked not much else left to do :p Certainly its to late to do much else. Apart from kick back in the sunshine light the bbq and enjoy my last beer for a while.

Oh and for those of you who have read my posts in the past will understand, recheck my essays for the 1000 time

geoffers

Badgeman
Make sure you take a decent liner for your rucksack. I recommend the Canoe bags from Ortlieb as they're pretty tough going and a large one will cost you about £25, money well spent compared to how much a normal one would cost you!

Leathermans or Gerbers are useful with all the extra tools, but 9 times out of 10 u won't need them all! a simple lock knife is usually enough. Don't bother with zippos, one of those proper propane turbo windproof ones are better - best to take a few cheap 50p ones too as insurance.

For those of you who aren't experienced walkers, visit your nearest outdoors shop and invest in some liner socks - by wearing proper liner socks and using the 2-sock layer, your feet will be less likely to suffer from blisters! As for you outer socks, thick posh ones like bridgedale summits (gore-tex) are nice but pussers are sufficient.

Thing i found with the mini mag-lites is the LED variants are better, but they cost £40! It'd be £10 cheaper to buy and old-style one at £20 and buy the LED upgrade that costs £10.

You can honestly do without your laptop first phase, but it is your choice! Defo remember your camera!! I still laugh at all the hilarious pics I have.

Guns

War Hero
Save money and buy Heavy Duty Rubble Sacks from B&Q, cheap and as good as any fancy rubbish from outdoor stores. You buy a roll, few for you and then sell/loan out to the ones who don't have them.

Filters. Blue filter. Night vision thing is rubbish. One person uses the torch to read map, called the map reader. Others, especially the point man, covers eyes so no loss of night vision in group. Then spend next 5 mins telling the map reader "Watch out! Bear!" Always a winner. When route planning dotted lines in black around water will then show up at night. That said with 10 Cadets bimbling around the moors no matter how hard you read the map you will find water. FACT!

IPod, up to you. But instead of sitting listening to music on your own try sitting around with your fellow lifers and chat, dit on and get to know each other. Small radio good idea.

And you are doing ACE not Commando Course. Don't sweat it. You can get by with decent socks, talc powder and that foot powder stuff. Simple lock blade or multi tool. I favour multi tool as you end up using it for essentials like opening bottles, unscrewing stuff to see how it works etc.

But having done a bit of time out on the hills trust me on this one. At night before you go to bed treat your feet. Off with the socks, rub the feet give them some life and use foot powder to treat them. New socks and you will feel the world is at ease. Look after your feet and they look after you. Applies in the college as well when breaking in your boots.

All comes with the caveat that I passed through the college 90/91 so things have changed. Like the internet and mobiles, Battledress, stiff collars and obviously all the youth of today are nothing like us, barhhhh Bloody YOs, all that noise and laughter.

Yours Old Fart Two and Half.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Joining Instructions BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L joining BRNC in April? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
A BRNC - Joining Pack Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
shotty13 3rd Sep BRNC Joining date, anyone else? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 75
R what happens between passing AIB and joining BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Joining before BRNC RMR 1
A BRNC: Is there a break between Militarisation and Marinisation? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D BRNC intake January 2021 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
SeaBiscuit October BRNC Intake- FB Group now live RFA 5
H BRNC September 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 14
Xenophon BRNC - Why do some pass out as S/Lt or Lt? Joining the Royal Navy 4
D RFA BRNC June 2020 intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
G BRNC May 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 54
D Prep for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S RFA Training at BRNC RFA 13
alfred_the_great On BRNC, and other stuff... Joining the Royal Navy 0
A BRNC January 2020 Intake Joining the Royal Navy 33
J BRNC 16th Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K BRNC Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C September selection (BRNC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
M BRNC May 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 94
Y BRNC Feb 19 RFA 10
L January 2019 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 34
photface BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C September 2018 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 37
R BRNC Soon RFA 5
S BRNC Dartmouth May Entry 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 190
R BRNC in Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Starting BRNC in January- Potential role change? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
photface Dates for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
DB583 BRNC Dartmouth January 2018 entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
WannabeAdmiral BRNC morning routine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
dnnidlc BRNC - Sleeping arrangements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
dnnidlc BRNC - Training Management Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W BRNC - Confirmation Course Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
D Questions re BRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
K BRNC Acquaint 6-9 July Joining the Royal Navy 3
Y BRNC showers Joining the Royal Navy 13
M BRNC June 2017 RFA 20
T Warfare Officer BRNC intake numbers (May-Jan 17) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A What is it like at BRNC during training? Joining the Royal Navy 14
T-W-C BRNC May 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 241
A Body Mass Index too low - BRNC January 2017 Joining the Royal Navy 11
T BRNC January 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
R BRNC OCTOBER 2016 RFA 5
L Questions about Oct 2016 BRNC RFA 22
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6