BRNC: January 2016 Intake

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bigears96, Nov 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. Thought since there didn't already seem to be a thread for this, I should make one.

I got the call today. I will be joining BRNC on January 4th 2015 for Warfare. Absolutely shitting myself.

2. Good luck with that. Dartmoor in winter is a delight.

3. You may have a point there. It's been deceptively warm so far. Definitely going to come back and bite us in the ass come ABLE.

4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Folks

A wise word of warning here - BRNC spies on threads like this. Previous new entrants have been bollocked and punished for posting here in their first couple of days in the RN.

Think VERY hard about whether you want to give the cowardly so and so's at BRNC who spy on future shipmates the satisfaction of punishing you.

Yes I do think the people that did it are C *cks of the highest order.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Can I just point out that there have been several BRNC intake threads with no issues whatsoever. It's good for the new cadets to be able to discuss their experiences and help with any concerns. I'm sure BRNC have no problems with this. You will see that the one issue (in the May 2015 thread) revolved around a lack of respect for a senior member and those concerned WERE indeed taken to task on their first day at the college. All have since apologised for their actions on this forum. Whether BRNC were right to do this is a matter of debate.

In my opinion, go ahead and post, surely this is what forums are all about. Have fun but show respect for others and please be careful not to give out any personal information (PERSEC).

Congratulations on being selected, you should be very proud of yourselves and good luck for January.

I do have some knowledge of recent intakes so if you have any concerns please feel free to send me a DM if you would prefer not to ask in public.

6. Seems you're the first few to know. I'm hopeful of this intake but wasn't expecting to hear until the end of the week at the earliest. Did the call/email come from your local AFCO or somewhere more central?

7. I got a call from my AFCO. The selection was on monday, so they'll need a bit of time to prepare the letters and send them. End of the week sounds about right.

8. Do we know what the schedule is for this intake. I know it changed for the last intake, so i'm a bit unsure.

9. Purple_twiglet

The fact remains that brnc actions against the May intake were probably illegal though and were any of those taken to task to speak to an employment lawyer, the ensuing case could be VERY embarrasing for brnc and the mod.

You cannot subject people to summary punishment for actions undertaken prior to joining the RN.

I've said it before and will say it again. The permanent staff who did this are wrong, and they badly misjudged the situation. I hope one day they will suffer the comsequeneces of their ego trip.

10. I agree it was the wrong way to handle the situation. It must have made for a very uncomfortable beginning to the 10 week militarisation which is intimidating anyway. I do think some of the posters were flippant with their comments and a gentle (private) friendly word in their ear would have been my solution.

My main point though is let's not discourage the new intakes to post on here. The Feb and May intake threads were busy but it seems this incident along with over the top reaction to PERSEC has put people off posting. Seems someone only has to say they are travelling 6 hours on a train to get to Totnes and they get warned about PERSEC. No-one dares to post after that.

So new OC's don't be afraid. I miss the ironing board debates ;)

11. May was the last 3 x 10 week which had been going for a few years. September was the first (new) 2 x 15 week schedule. I can only assume this will continue but I can't say for sure.

12. I think it was a bit of a storm in a teacup. Seems the initial phase of brnc has a theme of 'you're future officers - start acting like it.' What with all the PT, being picked up on for dust in rounds, strict uniform standards etc it's meant to hammer home the message of discipline and sticking to the rules. I'd say those in charge looked at it as an opportunity to get this message across that you're held to a different standard once in the college. With all the people making an idiot of themselves on Facebook nowadays it probably stood out as a chance to get the message across in a relevant way. Doubt it had any lasting impact on their stay, but we'd do well to make sure this thread stays on track.

13. Purple_twiglet

But again, the point is they may well have acted illegally in doing so. You cannot summarily punish someone for actions conducted prior to joining, particualrly when people have had no guidance on what the RN considers acceptable conduct.

I bang pn about this because i thought BRNC existed to uphold the highest standards of conduct and subjecting new joiners to summary justice in this way is at best cowardly and at worst bullying. I have utter and total contempt for those at BRNC who think this is an acceptable level of conduct. Its not, its conduct unbecoming an officer at best.

14. Does anybody know what the deal with leave is. I'm not asking because I'm looking forward to it, but I am going to have to manage my girlfriends expectations about how often she'll see me. I understand it's one weekend somewhere around able, and two weeks at easter, but I've heard that the easter leave may involve AT as opposed to being actual free time.

15. Also got the call to say id be joining BRNC 4th of Jan. No idea on leave however. Maybe if you find one of the older BRNC joining threads and ask someone from there.

16. Not sure exactly how the new 2 x 15 week schedule will work but the annual leave in usually 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at Easter and 3 weeks in summer for all of BRNC. Up until the latest intake (Sept) you were only allowed outside the college on families weekend until the end of militarisation at week 10. You were then allowed out in the evening and at weekends unless you were on duty.

17. Up until ABLE, you are not allowed on weekend leave. However you have families weekend (I believe is week 7 for the 2 x 15 week schedule) during which time your families come down to visit you at BRNC and you are allowed on night leave Fri/Sat/Sun (until 2359 each night). Post-ABLE, you have the ability to go on leave every weekend (upon completion of instruction Friday - 2359 Sunday) unless you are on duty, have an exam/training serial or it's a black box weekend (eg Remembrance Weekend).

If anyone has any questions feel free to DM me, I pass out this Thursday so may end up being one of your sea parents.

18. Extremely helpful info. Thanks GSall

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

19. Oh and just further to that, you get 2 weeks over Easter, 3 weeks over Summer and 2 weeks over Christmas :)

See you in the new year!