Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BRNC February 11th 2013 Intake

Bisley

War Hero
On the issue of boots jusy to clarify

Raf - dont get issued boots, ruins the 5* star hotel carpets, issued pink fluffy slippers :)

Army - issued boots immediately given to there steward for cleaning later

Navy - polish your own we have sacked all the stewards and replaced with civvy Sodexo grumpy bitches

oldgaius

Midshipman
[/B]

Stitching people up already. You'll fit right in the wardroom.
Comment earlier was tongue-in-cheek. I'm used to taking a bollocking just fine whether or not I think it's due. No expectations of getting through BRNC (or anywhere else in life) by shirking responsibility. :sad1:

scouse

War Hero
...The Admiral passed a hand wearily over his forehead.

'As this is the first day,' he said, 'I may as well refresh your memories on one or two items of policy.'

The Board slumped in their seats.

'Remember we are not looking for normal boys. We are looking for boys who will make naval officers. There's a difference. We are looking for half-wits. The service will add the other half in its own way and in its own time.'

The Board nodded.

'None of these boys will be very intelligent. If they had any intelligence they wouldn't be here. They'd be applying for jobs outside which carry more pay and less work, like most of their contemporaries. But lack of intelligence need not concern us. An intelligent man never makes a good naval officer. He embarrasses everybody.'

The Board glanced briefly at their President and nodded again. After all, he had been a naval officer for nearly forty years. He should know.

'I need not tell you not to be surprised at anything you hear in this room. I myself have long since lost the capacity for amazement.'

The Board pursed their lips. They remembered the candidate who had tried, with a pin, to convince the Admiral that Christian Science worked for the common man.

'Keep off religion and politics. They know more about that sort of thing than we do.'

The Board began to rouse themselves. The Admiral was approaching his peroration.

'One last point. Make sure, I implore you, gentlemen, make sure you know what the boy's father does for a living. If the man's an admiral then of course you can be as facetious as you wish, but if he's a plumber or a boilermaker or anything which remotely sounds as though it has a trade union then I must beseech you to be careful. We just cannot afford any more questions in the House. It upsets the First Lord and I get it all back from him later.'

The Admiral wound up his watch, shot his cuffs, gathered some papers together, and looked round the Board.

'Well,' he said. 'Who have we first?'... ^_~

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
It may also be worth noting that peoples IDs are easily translated in real life, and that I'd be cautious giving away too much here, lest the staff at BRNC look at you with a Lt Cdr Bodger style wolflike grin when they take charge of you in due course...

I believe some cadets have found out the hard way that there is no such thing as anonymity on the internet!

slim

War Hero
For ALL you aspiring occifers who wish to know what Blood Group they are I have a suggestion.

GIVE BLOOD

Lots of it needed at this time of the year, costs you nothing and you even get Tea and Bickies after.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I think I have proven Purple_Twiglet's point. A couple of things you will become familiar with (assuming you pass AIB and join the RN) are PERSEC (personal security) and OPSEC (operational security). The former comes from your 'internet fingerprint', such as your forum usernames, social networking site profiles and use of your email address. AFCO/AIB/BRNC staff often use RR to find out more about potential candidates, so be aware of what you post on here.

Point taken! Though I would say I am aware of what you are able to access on me and don't currently feel that I have anything to hide: I'm fairly boring! Not that I know what PERSEC states you should have available to open forum. :)

Bisley

War Hero
L[/I]
Point taken! Though I would say I am aware of what you are able to access on me and don't currently feel that I have anything to hide: I'm fairly boring! Not that I know what PERSEC states you should have available to open forum. :)

I'm fairly boring :)

You will feel right at home in the wardroom :) only teasing...............

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Those who think that PERSEC is nothing to worry about should consider this. If you are joining HM Forces, then you immediately become of interest to people who have less than good intent towards the UK. If you doubt me, try doing some basic research about convicted terrorists and what they've tried to do.
I recently did a presentation on PERSEC to an URNU unit - I knew a few names in advance. Some simple googling of their name and the word 'navy' and within 5 minutes (I am not exagerating) I knew their name, history, photos, linked in profile, where their parents lived (complete with imagery) etc. If you are comfortable that complete strangers can access your entire life and personal history easily, then good for you. Personally I try to lock myself down a bit to prevent my family becoming easy targets.

similarly, if you go to BRNC in Feb, and post here, then end up dripping here later, it doesnt take the brains of a rocket scientist (or BRNC member of staff) to work out who you are. I have it on very, very, good authority that some BRNC members may have learned the hard way that dripping here can land you in serious shit.

You may want to think about that before giving too much away!

Olly013

Midshipman
I didn't get aircrew, I think I was at FATs with you though! Passed them with aplomb apparently but my AIB was shocking, but still a pass and they offered me Warfare submarines, so I'm in doing that. Excellent effort on getting aircrew!

I was going to book a blood test with my GP when I get back to the UK, but that costs £60 and not worrying about it sounds like a better (cheaper) option! So oldgaius, did you send your proforma off without a bloodgroup?

Cheers! Nice one on getting in for Warfare bud! You joining on the 11th February aswell?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Booner123 BRNC February 2015 Intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 561
W BRNC February 2014 (Be sure to observe PERSEC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 97
A BRNC: Is there a break between Militarisation and Marinisation? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D BRNC intake January 2021 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
SeaBiscuit October BRNC Intake- FB Group now live RFA 5
H BRNC September 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 14
Xenophon BRNC - Why do some pass out as S/Lt or Lt? Joining the Royal Navy 4
D RFA BRNC June 2020 intake Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
G BRNC May 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 54
D Prep for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S RFA Training at BRNC RFA 13
alfred_the_great On BRNC, and other stuff... Joining the Royal Navy 0
A BRNC January 2020 Intake Joining the Royal Navy 33
J BRNC 16th Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K BRNC Sept 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C September selection (BRNC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
M BRNC May 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 94
Y BRNC Feb 19 RFA 10
L January 2019 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 34
photface BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C September 2018 BRNC Intake Joining the Royal Navy 37
R BRNC Soon RFA 5
S BRNC Dartmouth May Entry 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 190
R BRNC in Feb Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Starting BRNC in January- Potential role change? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
photface Dates for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
DB583 BRNC Dartmouth January 2018 entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
WannabeAdmiral BRNC morning routine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
dnnidlc BRNC - Sleeping arrangements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
dnnidlc BRNC - Training Management Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W BRNC - Confirmation Course Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
D Questions re BRNC Joining the Royal Navy 7
K BRNC Acquaint 6-9 July Joining the Royal Navy 3
Y BRNC showers Joining the Royal Navy 13
M BRNC June 2017 RFA 20
T Warfare Officer BRNC intake numbers (May-Jan 17) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A What is it like at BRNC during training? Joining the Royal Navy 14
T-W-C BRNC May 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 241
A Body Mass Index too low - BRNC January 2017 Joining the Royal Navy 11
T BRNC January 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
R BRNC OCTOBER 2016 RFA 5
L Questions about Oct 2016 BRNC RFA 22
L Likelihood of being selected for BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
ToonPatriot Brnc SFA? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L BRNC Passing out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J May 2016 BRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C BRNC September intake - dates... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1