BRNC - do I need to leave my TA unit?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Craftyfox, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi

    I am due to start BRNC in the fairly near future. I have been in the TA in the past and never officially left. After uni I tried to transfer to my local TA unit and basically my transfer took months to go through (JPA issues I think?).

    To cut a long story short I am still in the TA but have no idea if my transfer ever actually happened as I passed AIB in the meantime.

    I realise I could just phone them up and find out, but I have heard on entry to BRNC that I will simply be transferred into the navy ? Is this is the case it will save me the nightmare of trying to find out from the TA what is going on.
  2. I was in the urnu before i joined, i got a phone call from BRNC asking for my service number as they are just going to continue my service from my URNU days.

    I don't no if this will be the same case with yourself best person to phone is Miss Tiley on 02392542112, she sorted me out with my service number.

    Give her a ring and let me no how you get on.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Simply write to your last TA unit advising them you join the Senior service on whatever date & therefore resign.

    Copy the letter to the Regional TA HQ. Keep a copy for yourself should you need to prove you have resigned. There is no automatic correlation between the RN & TA other than via JPAC. If you have a TA JPA account simply notify them through the online helpdesk function, terminating the TA contract- any seniority owed should be carried over automatically if it's valid.

    If you ask nicely at your AFCO, they may let you access JPA through their system, rather than have to go to a TA unit.

    Good luck.
  4. How recent is this (your URNU service, gaps, and entering RN)? I thought you had to get a new service number... If so I'd (hopefully) get my old pre-JPA service number back! :w00t: Unless the buggers mess it up. Ninja, any idea how it would all work; if we include time served in the RMR and whathaveyou?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Not got the rules here, but seem to remember to have any seniority carried over you had to physically join regular service within 12 months of leaving an URNU, this may well have changed in April 2007 when seniority was awarded by qualifications held on entry. I understand URNU time also counted to qualifying time when the Queens Golden "Jamboree" gong was issued.

    RMR Other Rank seniority would only count (I think) if you were joining as an Other Rank/Junior Rate.

    It's extremely unlikely your URNU service number (commencing C999...) wold be carried over into regular service as the number range (V052... for females) was for list 7 RNR only.

    I'll check come Monday

    Edited to add seniority changes.
  6. Eh well.. No serious bother, just curious. Would make no difference if I end up going regular RM officer or something like that.

    Many thanks anyway.

  7. JPA is a pain with service numbers so most people are carrying on with them from UAS/OTC/URNU.

    Although does it make a difference with which service you started out with? E.g. OTC --> RN?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    I doubt "old-style" OTC & UAS service numbers will carry over as all service numbers now start "3000...." on a tri-service basis for new joiners. The theory is however, that the newer numbers will remain unchanged whichever service you join. The logic being that if you were for example in the TA & join the regular RN, the RNR & Join the RAF, UAS & join the Army, individuals can only be in the employment of one service at any one time.
  9. All i no is that BRNC rang me and asked me to supply them with my URNU service number as it would be carried on, i found this strange to but it does not affect me.
  10. In answer to the original point, I am ex TA and was required to present my certificate of discharge before being allowed to join.
  11. Logically it seems to me that yes you do need to leave the TA - I can't really see the problem as a letter to the unit concerned should do the trick.
  12. A few people I know who were on my uni's UAS turned up at Cranwell and were issued the new 3000 number but after 1 week has to revert back to their old 870xxxxX number as JPA couldn't handle having one person with 2 service numbers. I was just wondering whether this would cross over within services as JPA is now tri-service and that all services are on a 3000 but I guess I'll have to wait and see (got to get in first :thumright: )
  13. Thanks for all the good information and advice. I will put a letter in the post asap.

Share This Page