BRNC Dartmouth May Entry 2018

Hi everyone,

If all goes well with my aircrew medical I'll be heading to BRNC this May so thought I'd pipe up on here.

NavyNovice you have any idea what happens if you get a high blood pressure reading at the medical? I know I have 120 when it's not important but soon as I'm aware it could potentially ruin everything it spikes to 160!

Hi everyone,

If all goes well with my aircrew medical I'll be heading to BRNC this May so thought I'd pipe up on here.

NavyNovice you have any idea what happens if you get a high blood pressure reading at the medical? I know I have 120 when it's not important but soon as I'm aware it could potentially ruin everything it spikes to 160!
Someone had high blood pressure when I was there and they put relaxing music on and took loads of readings over about 20 minutes until they got one that was under so they will really try to get you through!

Google 'white coat syndrome'. It's actually very common but it is hard to relax when you know how important the medical outcome is. It certainly used to happen to me and my heart rate used to whizz up, well beyond my normal relaxed rate. As you do more and more medicals you do get used to them and definitely relax a lot more. Nowadays I don't even think about them and my heart rate is the least of my problems. I'm not going to tell you to 'relax' because you won't but read the articles about WCS and see if there's anything in them to help you.

Google 'white coat syndrome'. It's actually very common but it is hard to relax when you know how important the medical outcome is. It certainly used to happen to me and my heart rate used to whizz up, well beyond my normal relaxed rate. As you do more and more medicals you do get used to them and definitely relax a lot more. Nowadays I don't even think about them and my heart rate is the least of my problems. I'm not going to tell you to 'relax' because you won't but read the articles about WCS and see if there's anything in them to help you.
Thanks for the suggestion pontius, I did know about WCS but I’ll do some research into how people offset the effects. Worst comes to worst and I can’t get a normal reading will they do a 24 hour reading or is it an immediate fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst comes to worst and I can’t get a normal reading will they do a 24 hour reading or is it an immediate fail?
I really don't know old stick. I thought 24hr monitoring was normally for heart rate, not for blood pressure but I am certainly no expert.....in fact, not expert at all. I don't really see how they can keep a cuff inflated on your arm for that long :)

I find it is better if I'm lying down when they do the blood pressure as I can then just stare at the ceiling or close my eyes....and get some extra ZZZzzzzs because I'm a WAFU. If I'm sitting then I try not to look at the machine but either close my eyes (and ZZzzzzz) or just stare at something totally unrelated to the check. This didn't work so well with a particularly attractive Crabette in the RAF Valley sickbay but I'm sure they made allowances for that.

If you're young, fit and healthy then there is very little chance of you having hypertension, they know it's WCS because they see it EVERY day and they will try to relax you enough to get you through. Just chat to the nurse about something like the weather, ignore the cuff and it'll be over in a minute....literally.

I like my mate who is the exact opposite. He's got 15 Hawaii Ironman competitions to his name, so he's a bit fit. He has to pace up and down the clinic as fast as he can to get his heart rate up a bit or the Japanese docs don't believe that he's not dead with his resting heart rate. He could put a hibernating frog to shame.

Hopefully will be selected for May intake for warfare (X). I have to agree the wait for the selection board (sitting March 23rd) is making me a little stir crazy!

What is frustrating is my work contract finished in January so i've been sat about trying to maintain fitness etc but even that only fills so much time. Looking for work is not fun when employers are rightly reluctant to hire someone who may well be off in 3 months time.

They cut the numbers from about 48 to 22 apparently so I wasn't selected. Not sure what the numbers for warfare are this time round though

Also waiting to hear for TM. The number of places can apparently be counted with one hand...

@sav89s what do you teach?
Glad to see another potential TM on here! I have heard that about the number of places - quite scary really. When did you do your AIB? Did they say if you would be likely to be selected?

I teach History and Politics.

AIB in September, I was hoping to go for Jan entry but they scrapped that intake for TMs.

My score was very good but it's difficult for them to say definitively with several months (at the time) until FSB, so "borderline" covers the Board's back.

I teach science myself.

AIB in September, I was hoping to go for Jan entry but they scrapped that intake for TMs.

My score was very good but it's difficult for them to say definitively with several months (at the time) until FSB, so "borderline" covers the Board's back.

I teach science myself.
Yeah I was the same myself. AIB back at the end of September, my ACLO forgot to mention the fact there was no intake for jan. it’s been a long long wait! Let’s hope we both get in.

Yeah I was basically identical to you, very good score but told borderline and the board president said basically that it’s still months away so that’s why it’s borderline. Have you been preparing for BRNC? Amazing, where do you teach?

Mainly working on fitness, trying to do anything around teaching is difficult (but not impossible).

I'm in the south, within commuting distance of AIB. Yourself?

What aspects of being a TM appeal to you most?

Yeah I am the same - working on getting myself as fit as possible (especially after speaking to a friend who is at Dartmouth right now). Yeah full time teaching job is not the best for preparation time.

Yeah I'm in the south too.

I quite like the idea of the Strategic Communications side of things as a TM but I just like how diverse and wide ranging the role can be so that will be exciting! How about you? Are you excited about the possibility of leaving teaching?