BRNC April 2009

scouse

War Hero
topman said:
Anyone recieved their boots then yet?
Whats everyone doing for naming clothes? You using labels to write in civvy clothing? Not sure whether to use them because we will need extra room to write service number won't we?
:wink: You could always do what the Lower deck used to do Snotty??? getting kitted out, learning to sew in red cotton (chain stitch) my name on my kit, :lol: :lol: :lol:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
scouse said:
topman said:
Anyone recieved their boots then yet?
Whats everyone doing for naming clothes? You using labels to write in civvy clothing? Not sure whether to use them because we will need extra room to write service number won't we?

:wink: You could always do what the Lower deck used to do Snotty??? getting kitted out, learning to sew in red cotton (chain stitch) my name on my kit, :lol: :lol: :lol:

But why would he sew your name in his kit?! 8O :D

hertsmc

Midshipman
Afternoon Chaps,

Received my letter last week, WEO for the September intake.

It's all rather exciting, but seems so far away. Is there any chance that someone could post the kit list. I'm interested in having a look at what we need to get hold of.

Hope all goes well and good luck to those whoo start on the 27th!

minimania

Badgeman
hertsmc said:
Afternoon Chaps,

It's all rather exciting, but seems so far away. Is there any chance that someone could post the kit list. I'm interested in having a look at what we need to get hold of.

Congrats on your letter-and september really isnt that far away. I cant be arsed to type out the whole kit list (i really should be runnng/learning rule of the road) but there is nothing on there that you wouldn't expect, its all underwear/personal pt stuff/sew kit/polishing kit/stationary/wash kit/torch etc--nothing surprising or that you cant get really easily from tesco/argos/wilkinsons/internet

to be honest I would take the extra time you have now to work your way through the reading list (which i posted on here a couple weeks back) and start learning rule of the road-its such fun!!

recite after me... "these rules shall apply to all vessels on the high seas........" :lol:

hertsmc

Midshipman
minimania said:
hertsmc said:
Afternoon Chaps,

Congrats on your letter-and september really isnt that far away. I cant be arsed to type out the whole kit list (i really should be runnng/learning rule of the road) but there is nothing on there that you wouldn't expect, its all underwear/personal pt stuff/sew kit/polishing kit/stationary/wash kit/torch etc--nothing surprising or that you cant get really easily from tesco/argos/wilkinsons/internet

to be honest I would take the extra time you have now to work your way through the reading list (which i posted on here a couple weeks back) and start learning rule of the road-its such fun!!

recite after me... "these rules shall apply to all vessels on the high seas........" :lol:

"these rules shall apply to all vessesls on the high seas......" ;)

Cheers mini, thanks for the advice.

ht214

Midshipman
minimania said:

".....and all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels"

I like this game! Therewith, what a wonderful word :)

Chalky

Lantern Swinger
To all on this thread obsessing about heels and buttons and any number of minutia:

Don't worry at all. You will hardly wear dog robbers etc as a junior so you have penty of time to bed that idea in and grow to loathe it as much as everyone else. Pusser, as with any parent, will provide you with all you need.

You won't wear any civvy clothing or the first 7 weeks, wont have time to wear it for the following 7 weeks and will then only be a senior at the college for the 4 weeks after IFT. Those of you lucky enough to attend the IWO(F) course can deal with the grand and ever-lasting 2/3 button conundrum then.

I will, in my infinite wisdom, offer you these 3 pieces of advice:

1) If you're ex-URNU/Cadets then never, ever mention it. You'll only have the piss ripped out of you at first and end up being loathed at the end. 'We never did it like this in the URNU' always sounds weak when you're in the actual RN. Use your familiar skills and help others, but keep your mouth firmly closed on the issue lest your division murder you.

2) Never be the grey man. Anything you do in addition to your core training will save your ass if something goes wrong for you. The RN, in theory, doesn't want grey Officers. If you can't step forwards and do the extra work then take a step backwards back onto the train.

3) Never, ever give up. You will, at any one point in your training, be shit scared, be it on ABLE, BSSC, IFT or wherever. It might even be the fear of failing an exam, giving a presentation or whatever. You will feel you are facing something that you cannot posibly do. If you give up, you are writing yourself off. It all gets written down somewhere and the second you **** up along the line, it will come back to haunt you.

Well, that's enough unsolicited advice.

God be with you and I will see you on the beach (You'll get that soon enough). Or on the 27th. Whichever happens first.