BRNC - All you need to know. And more

huwshpis

War Hero
A "commonwealth passport" is simply a passport issued by a commonwealth country. If you're not a national of a commonwealth country, you can't get one without becoming a citizen of such a country. If you're Nigerian, Nigeria is in the Commonwealth, so get a Nigerian passport. Simples, innit?

WreckerL

War Hero
No idea what a "Commonwealth" passport is or how to get one if it exists. Why don't you go to the British Embassy and ask them, seeing as you're in Lagos, according to your details

Edited to add huwshpis has the answer which I never noticed :(

Noe Blade

Midshipman
I have been answering the CAPTCHA question but they are still telling me that I didn't answer it well..
how am I suppose to answer the question...
Help me oooo....

Domino98

This may have been asked already so I apologise. How easy is it to change roles whilst at BRNC? For example if I applied to be a Warfare Officer (Subs) but wanted to change to Warfare Officer (surface)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
This may have been asked already so I apologise. How easy is it to change roles whilst at BRNC? For example if I applied to be a Warfare Officer (Subs) but wanted to change to Warfare Officer (surface)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What it all boils down to in this case is what is referred to as 'Service need'. Simply put, you may be allowed to rebranch, vacancies, reports and aptitude dependent, but only if there is tangible benefit to the Service in your doing so.

BurghJG

Midshipman
What it all boils down to in this case is what is referred to as 'Service need'. Simply put, you may be allowed to rebranch, vacancies, reports and aptitude dependent, but only if there is tangible benefit to the Service in your doing so.
I would go on to argue that this would not be in the benefit of the service as they would not want to set a precedent. They are well aware that it is easier/faster to get in if you volunteer for the SM service and I would expect it wouldnt be looked upon kindly if someone tried to use this to trick the system and get in as a skimmer. I would personally suggest that people are prevented from making a transfer and have the option of leaving the service or continuing with what they applied for.

But I am having a grumpy monday so maybe they think differently from me.

WreckerL

War Hero
I would go on to argue that this would not be in the benefit of the service as they would not want to set a precedent. They are well aware that it is easier/faster to get in if you volunteer for the SM service and I would expect it wouldnt be looked upon kindly if someone tried to use this to trick the system and get in as a skimmer. I would personally suggest that people are prevented from making a transfer and have the option of leaving the service or continuing with what they applied for.

But I am having a grumpy monday so maybe they think differently from me.
When I was a DO to Phase 2 submariners there were many who tried that as a way to get to surface fleet. Unless it was for medical reasons the request was always turned down. If I'd had a quid for everyone that came to me and said "the AFCO told me I could do it" I'd be a rich man (AFCO's didn't say it).

The philosophy applied was if you applied for a job in Factory A, got the job and once through the door said you didn't want to work there, you really wanted to work in factory B, your employer would tell you tough luck. The RN employed the same principle. That was the reason we gave to enquiring (angry!) parents when they rang up and it was something they could relate to.

^Not too long ago NE's expecting a GS career were frequently miffed when told off for boats, until they were reminded that the small print on their Terms of Service included service on any ship or submarine...

Genuine Question - Do the current TOS still include a potential liability for S/M service for non-volunteers?
If so, do many get moved across kicking and scrinnying?

WreckerL

War Hero
^Not too long ago NE's expecting a GS career were frequently miffed when told off for boats, until they were reminded that the small print on their Terms of Service included service on any ship or submarine...

Genuine Question - Do the current TOS still include a potential liability for S/M service for non-volunteers?
been a while since I was involved but as I've been outside for 12 years now but I did teach a couple of courses with disgruntled POWEA's in it :)

Yes they can, don’t know how many.

For the OP - I’d change before you get to BRNC. Otherwise, it is possible, but X(SM) is just a shortage branch as X(GS) so I’d adjust your hopes as appropriate.