BRNC - All you need to know. And more

Can anyone elaborate/ update on the reserves training pipeline (general entry officer)? Having read the RN website it looks like much of the training (20weeks) is in-unit training followed by a 2 week BRNC course. Has anyone got experience of this? What is covered with the unit vs what is covered at BRNC? Is it really only 2 weeks or is it supplimented with weekends there too?
Just trying to get the a little more detail before my upcoming sift :)

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Can anyone elaborate/ update on the reserves training pipeline (general entry officer)? Having read the RN website it looks like much of the training (20weeks) is in-unit training followed by a 2 week BRNC course. Has anyone got experience of this? What is covered with the unit vs what is covered at BRNC? Is it really only 2 weeks or is it supplimented with weekends there too?
Just trying to get the a little more detail before my upcoming sift :)
There are threads in the RNR section covering it. You do the same INT syllabus in unit as the rating entrants to get you up to speed with the basics, with some additional CLM theory. Two national weekends deliver the fundamentals of the officer side of things. You then have an assessment weekend to check you stand a chance of passing the 2 week course. That said you're only halfway through the Phase 1 pipeline post BRNC, it is then off for the maritime side of training, more national weekends, 2 weeks at sea culminating in fleet board. Short of doing the Accelerated Officer's Programme over the summer the whole thing takes around 2 years.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm hoping to commission into the RN at some point in the next year or two and was hoping someone could give me some advice on what fitness standards I need to achieve. All of the advice I can find online suggests a run time of 10min 30s (I'm female, btw), but I can't find anything about press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, upper body strength etc. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me the standard that I realistically need to be at to give myself the best chance at Dartmouth (other than 'be as fit as you can'!). I used to be very unfit/fat, but have been working hard to change this over the past year, and I don't want to start my application until I know that I am at the right level of fitness. Thanks!

I'm 22, but will probably have turned 23 by the time I start my application and the role is warfare officer (surface fleet). I've had a look at that page but it was focussed on run times. I'm happy with the way my run time is progressing (currently 12min 16s, but down from over 17min!), but am more concerned with any strength exercises (press-ups etc) that I would need to be able to do during training

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Yes; some of the showers are located near offices etc. I’ve bourne witness to a lot of cadets with too small a towel rushing to the shower and flashing their DO. Never was I, ahem, impressed with what I saw..........

Really nothing has changed since Elizabeth, and having been warranted for the past twelve years, things have been going from z to a. But of course no one is going to admit to that one, especially if school fees reach into the five figures. Another politician is born. Keep it in the family that's what I say.