BRNC - All you need to know. And more

Time Off and Leave at BRNC?

Greetings,

Does anyone know the details of time off during training? At what point in training are you allowed off camp during the week or weekend?
When have you got to be back on camp?
What are the dates for Summer leave this year at?

Much obliged

Time Off and Leave at BRNC?

Greetings,

Does anyone know the details of time off during training? At what point in training are you allowed off camp during the week or weekend?
When have you got to be back on camp?
What are the dates for Summer leave this year at?

Much obliged

WIthout wanting to sound harsh, if you go there, then you will be given the information you require at the point you need to know it.

Assume your entire life for 30 weeks will be block booked, and that any time off beyond that is a brucey bonus. Don't book holidays, don't plan for weekends, expect to lose them for a myriad of duties and issues, and then be pleasantly surprised when you can go ashore.

Turning up for a physically and mentally demanding course wanting to know when you're getting time off isn't a great plan.

Thankyou for your reply. I was expecting an answer like this. I appreciate your advice but i can assure you that I am mentally robust enough to deal with my time being taken away last minute.

Am i right in assuming that summer leave dates are very unlikely change? Even if they do, I will have cancellation cover on any holidays i book.

Summer leave is the thing i am desperate to know. The other stuff I would like to know.

Not sure of the exact dates but the 3 term entry revolves around christmas. Week One of the spring term was 2 Jan. Count on 15 weeks to get to "easter" leave. There will be 2 weeks for easter. Then another term of 15 weeks. Then 3 weeks for summer. Then another 15 week term to Christmas which is 2 weeks.

As for leave during the first term. Nothing until after ABLE. Thereafter weekend leave can be APPLIED for but is not guaranteed as purple twiglet alluded to for various reasons such as duties, additional training, misdemeanours, travel to ISA/battlefields study package/BSSC, open days (one weekend in the summer term) and November ceremonies.

Cinderella leave into town also starts after ABLE and is a privilege which can be removed for poor performance and/or behaviour.

All of this information is in the joining instructions and is available through your ACLO.

Good luck and for f**ks sake turn up able to pass your mile and a half, the required number of press ups, sit ups and do a 300m shuttle in less than a minute. Such a pain for trainees and staff alike!

Thankyou for answering the question @BandGeek.

I will have no dramas with the phys side of things. Nor any of the militarisation side of it I expect as I have a small amount of previous military experience.

One further question if i may. I have it on good authority that the May intake is on the 1st May and the September intake is on the 11th September. This leaves a gap of 19 weeks. Does this mean that the sep intake starts a week after everyone else or the may intake does 16 weeks before having their 3 weeks summer leave.

Or maybe brnc got wind of my holiday plans and decided to extend summer leave to 4 weeks

I think you need to abandon plans for summer leave till you know whats going on. A lot of the leave periods involve activities, such as acting as DO for the CCF summer camp, or going on an Exped. This far out you do not know what you may get told to do, and the Service will have to come first.

My very strong advice is wait till you get there, find out the lie of the land and then worry about it. I've seen plenty of people over the years make the mistake of thinking that leave means leave. It doesnt, leave at BRNC means a period of time when while you may not be busy training all day, you remain liable to be dicked for all many of shitty duties or broader development, and you would be an extremely foolish individual to turn up expecting uninterrupted summer leave.

Plan on no leave right now, and anything beyond that is a bonus that you take advantage of where possible.

I think you need to abandon plans for summer leave till you know whats going on. A lot of the leave periods involve activities, such as acting as DO for the CCF summer camp, or going on an Exped. This far out you do not know what you may get told to do, and the Service will have to come first.

My very strong advice is wait till you get there, find out the lie of the land and then worry about it. I've seen plenty of people over the years make the mistake of thinking that leave means leave. It doesnt, leave at BRNC means a period of time when while you may not be busy training all day, you remain liable to be dicked for all many of shitty duties or broader development, and you would be an extremely foolish individual to turn up expecting uninterrupted summer leave.

Plan on no leave right now, and anything beyond that is a bonus that you take advantage of where possible.
Summer leave is summer leave there are no longer expeds during it as it is only three weeks. There is the Dartmouth regatta which is good fun and is run using volunteers.

Whilst assuming you have no leave and being pleasantly surprised when you do avoids disappointment it isn't helpful for planning and managing family expectations. Ultimately it is poor man management and one of the reasons people leave in droves!

Your ACLO has all of this information available officially. But suitable cancellation insurance is a sound investment!

Thankyou for answering the question @BandGeek.

I will have no dramas with the phys side of things. Nor any of the militarisation side of it I expect as I have a small amount of previous military experience.

One further question if i may. I have it on good authority that the May intake is on the 1st May and the September intake is on the 11th September. This leaves a gap of 19 weeks. Does this mean that the sep intake starts a week after everyone else or the may intake does 16 weeks before having their 3 weeks summer leave.

Or maybe brnc got wind of my holiday plans and decided to extend summer leave to 4 weeks
I would think the information you have is Duff. The term is a strict 15 weeks.

Fortunately i'm not that fragile and should my summer leave disapear for some reason I will take it on the chin and crack on. Losing a few quid in cancellation insurance isnt the end of the world (although i doubt the mrs will agree).

I also thought that those dates were odd so i looked into it more and those dates are definitely the correct dates for the intakes. However, the specifities for summer leave seem to be shrouded in secrecy for the time being.

Medical at BRNC

Hi all, sitting AIB next month and presuming that goes well and I get selected (two very big 'ifs'), I am aiming for the May intake.
My application has been really slowed down by the medical process/Capita/my GP, so I am just wondering if anyone can advise what the next medical consists of? I believe this is held on arrival at Dartmouth - or is it between successful selection and the training intake?

I only ask as my GP is a nightmare to get any info/records out of and I wouldn't want a delay in me sourcing records to impact on INT(O) - or my ability to focus on it! Am I safe to assume that all records will be passed over from Capita and I just need to turn up where requested and cough?

Appreciate there are earlier hurdles to focus on, but prior planning and all that...
Any info would be helpful, cheers.:)

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
It's been a while but from memory the medical that happens during week one is fairly conveyor belt driven, you won't be spending ages in with the doc unless you need it. If you've had any injuries, illnesses or anything since your Capita medical they'll be discussed, if you're still the same body that passed the Capita medical it shouldn't take long.

There are often one or two medical discharges for conditions that have emerged since the initial medical, or people who turn up with injuries that get them back-phased pretty much immediately.

If anything is going to get you going back to the medical centre it is the dentist! Oh and remember that the doctors and dentists are going to be fairly senior officers, throw in the odd Sir or Ma'am...

Thanks CMDKeen. From what you recall, will I need to take copies of my records with me, or will they have everything from Capita? It seems like a small point I know, but it has previously taken me in excess of a month to get copies of my own records from my GP (without even getting started on Capita!)

Barring any disruptive out of body experiences, I plan on being the same body that passed the Capita medical ;)
Famous last words.

"I brush thrice a day and floss regularly Sir/Ma'am!"

Before you arrive at BRNC you sign all your medical care over to the Royal Navy. The PMO at Dartmouth essentially becomes your GP. Dartmouth will get all your medical records the same way as a new GPs surgery would if you moved home and signed up at a new surgery.

Up-to-date BRNC Training Timetable

Hi All,

This page looks a little outdated, but I was wondering whether there is a latest training timetable or pre-joining guide that someone has?

I'm a 24 year old guy working full-time and also studying my a-levels at the same time. I am therefore going to try and start my application just after my AS exams in June, so that the application process doesn't affect my studying too much.

I'm already doing a lot of revision for my application, but BRNC and the training timetable seems a bit of a quiet topic. I've looked at the Navy website, as well as a number of other sources (mostly covering the old 3 term syllabus). I'm positive that the Navy wants you to have a better knowledge than the 10 or so lines on their website though.

Feel free to PM me if it's more sensible.

Thanks, James

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Joining the Royal Navy 37
R RFA 5
C Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12