BRNC - All you need to know. And more

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by silverfox, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Single topic - single thread.

2. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

Let's get this rolling, can't find the answer for this anywhere, but after your first Seven weeks of the miliarisation phase, unless followed by Christmas, Easter or Summer leave, do you get to return home?

Can someone explain what MARL, and the other assessments are as well?

Thanks

3. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

PO according to th BRNC pack they send you just before you join you get a "long weekend" off following your passing in parade at the end of phase 1. No details on how long a BRNC "long weekend" is,(3 days probably) but in just 8 weeks from now i will be able to confirm this first hand. Providing i don't break myself or wash out that is.

4. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

BRNC?

5. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

Britannia Royal Naval College, like your Navies Annapolis :thumright: .
    NZB

6. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

oh fun, the naval version of sandhurst.

just what we need, another ring-knocker :D

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

Not quite - fortunately we do not have the equivalent of an ROTC programme and therefore we manage to escape the elitism that I have sometimes seen in the US Officer Corps.

(this is submitted for information, I know you were being tongue in cheek....)

8. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

BRNC encourages an 'all of one ship' outlook. We don't suffer from the US-style frat house mentality/cliquism in our civil universities either. Not necessarily better, but certainly different.

9. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

I would go a trifle further and suggest that as the RN developed into a regular service in the post Elizabethan era it progressed down a path where in general (there will always be exceptions) it considered that officer selection should be based on ability rather than class. Commissions were rarely purchased and whilst up till the institution of naval colleges midshipmans billets were in a ships captains gift they were as often awarded to the sons of respected warrant officers as they were to the sons of the gentry.

As for the present system, though my experience dates back a bit now it was then very much a unitary officer corps, there were no second class citizens, some of us though as one might expect were bigger pratts than others. There certainly are no 'fraternities' or secret societies operating within the system. The only ring I have ever worn is my wedding ring and the same goes for every other officer I have known.

10. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

In the hypothetical situation that I went to BRNC and was issued with shoes/boots... would I get away with spraying them with Japlac / Hammerite? Saves bulling them constantly and it looks lovely.

:thumright:

11. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

The GI's did, we didn't. Someone tried it on and regretted it when they got a pace stick dropped on the shoe.

Afterwards, OTOH.......

12. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

I hear (rumor) that they will be looking at candidates for the Sept. intake tomorrow, anyone else going to be ringing the training officer??

13. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

I was told that they were doing the selection in late July (this was from a 2 1/2 in AIB)

14. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

hmmm, yer no harm in ringing I guess, apart from p***ing the guy off :S

15. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

I was going to go more for the if we pester him enough with "Are we on yet?" "Are we on yet?" Are we on yet?" He might just put us on the nearest start date! Well... that or completely remove us from all intakes for the rest of time.

16. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

i always thought the selection for September 3rd was on the 23rd of July, but ive still been told to call in 2 weeks regardless. Hate the waiting

17. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

Its in addition to the AIB Testing, to test if you can deal with the Hurry Up and wait of the Military!

18. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

Ok silly question here, do they let you out for xmas? How long would you get if they did

19. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

At BRNC they do, it shuts down! I believe its two weeks. (Thats what my bandie in training buddy got.)

20. Re: All you never wanted to know about BRNC....

I phoned them and the date in which they are certain is the 23rd or 24th july. Argggh! I hate the uncertainty of whether you will cut it or not!

Shotty, are you a grad or DE. Im gunning for your pilot space ;). Did you pass for Aircrew officer or just Pilot, i'm starting to wish i had only passed for Pilot! lol