British Veterans

D

Deleted 7

Guest
As a Veteran of the British Armed Forces (defined by the Government as any person of any age who has served in the Regular or Reserve Forces) you may at times have wished for your old Identity Card. Research has indicated that many Ex-Servicemen and Women aspire to having their former service recognised and would welcome the opportunity to carry a form of identification. Additionally, proof of former service can unlock existing discounts on certain services and products both within the United Kingdom and abroad.

So whether you are 22 or 92 years old, The British Veterans Recognition Card will solve both these problems
Website
 
The card seems like a good Idea

However!!

Subscription prices per annum ? joining fee ?
Copies of service records ???

With available discounts given by most big companies and with access to the web I would suggest people shop around .

Only card required---a valid debit or credit card!!
 

safewalrus

War Hero
Whilst the idea seems good, and I have no objection to paying an annual fee for administration charges, it does smack of civilians jumping on the 'bandwagon'! If we're going to have something like this (and by God we should) surely the idea is that as you hand in your service ID card, if you have the requisite time in you get issued with one of these, and a 'Veterans Lapel Badge' after all if you've got the guts to sign on 'tis not the posting that you get or the campaigns you do that matter (some obviously worse than others) but the fact you stood up to be counted that matters!
 

Rincewind

Lantern Swinger
safewalrus said:
Whilst the idea seems good, and I have no objection to paying an annual fee for administration charges, it does smack of civilians jumping on the 'bandwagon'! If we're going to have something like this (and by God we should) surely the idea is that as you hand in your service ID card, if you have the requisite time in you get issued with one of these, and a 'Veterans Lapel Badge' after all if you've got the guts to sign on 'tis not the posting that you get or the campaigns you do that matter (some obviously worse than others) but the fact you stood up to be counted that matters!
Absolutetly!

Rincewind
 

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
I was unable to access the link provided by JD, but this is not really a new issue. The argument has been around for years and from what I read here it just looks more likely to happen, albeit at a price and that’s what really bugs me!

My thoughts echo the words included by safewalrus. This should have been introduced years ago and should be free and immediate on handing in your old ID. Other countries manage to do it without problems and their veterans qualify for tons of discounts and freebies.

The point about civilians jumping on the bandwagon is valid. It seems that whenever the Government or MOD can no longer afford to give or do something (Navy Days in Plymouth for an example) they contract it out and we end up paying through the nose for accessing something which was once freely available to us and that many have given decades of their lives to.

Insulting doesn't even begin to describe it.

SF
 
safewalrus said:
......you have the requisite time in you get issued with one of these, and a 'Veterans Lapel Badge' after all if you've got the guts to sign on 'tis not the posting that you get or the campaigns you do that matter (some obviously worse than others) but the fact you stood up to be counted that matters!
Hi All

There is the MOD Veterans Agency:

www.veteransagency.mod.uk

who are currently awarding Veteran lapel badges to ex service personnel who have completed service dates up to 31/12/1959.

It is their intention to eventually award this to all personnel who complete their service engagements, maybe this could tie in with the id card.

:)
 
Why would anyone miss having an ID card???? WTF?
I understand getting discounts, but just wanting an ID card? It would be OK if you could use it as valid ID for opening bank accounts or travel etc. then OK.
Paying an annual fee for maybe using the odd discount, seems like a feed to me.
 
Lingyai said:
Why would anyone miss having an ID card???? WTF?
I understand getting discounts, but just wanting an ID card? It would be OK if you could use it as valid ID for opening bank accounts or travel etc. then OK.
Paying an annual fee for maybe using the odd discount, seems like a feed to me.
It depends who has shares in the company... asking for service records... maybe the IRA, Al Qaida, or Sam the Man Dicosta... the mind boggles. Hey Sam, is it true? :twisted:
 

slim

War Hero
Lingyai said:
Why would anyone miss having an ID card???? WTF?
I understand getting discounts, but just wanting an ID card? It would be OK if you could use it as valid ID for opening bank accounts or travel etc. then OK.
Paying an annual fee for maybe using the odd discount, seems like a feed to me.
Come on Lingyai a run ashore wasn't classified as a good run unless you'd lost your ID card. You paid your annual fee in our day when you got to the commanders table. 7 days stoppage of leave and £10 for a new card
 
I last lost my i d and had to fill in the report for the administartive charge (read fine) for a new one. I knew where it was ish, I had left it at the reception of a short time hotel in Dubai when I was boning a whore from the garage bar. Didn't realise till I got back to the gate and then it was too late, I would never find the place again. Wrote the truth on the report though, no sense in lying. Ah, memories, dusky little thing from Ethiopia as I remember.....
 
Still got my paybook somewhere .

Only ever had one and its a real historic memory jerker.
The photo is me as a 16 year old
Its got more sweat,beer,blood and other stains on it from runs ashore .

Everything in it -leave dates ,medical records and jabs clothing issues.

ID cards were too easy lost
 

dondon

MIA
Lingyai said:
I last lost my i d and had to fill in the report for the administartive charge (read fine) for a new one. I knew where it was ish, I had left it at the reception of a short time hotel in Dubai when I was boning a whore from the garage bar. Didn't realise till I got back to the gate and then it was too late, I would never find the place again. Wrote the truth on the report though, no sense in lying. Ah, memories, dusky little thing from Ethiopia as I remember.....

Good man , never been with an Ethiopian , love Brazilians though , 8) :lol:
 
dondon said:
Lingyai said:
I last lost my i d and had to fill in the report for the administartive charge (read fine) for a new one. I knew where it was ish, I had left it at the reception of a short time hotel in Dubai when I was boning a whore from the garage bar. Didn't realise till I got back to the gate and then it was too late, I would never find the place again. Wrote the truth on the report though, no sense in lying. Ah, memories, dusky little thing from Ethiopia as I remember.....

Good man , never been with an Ethiopian , love Brazilians though , 8) :lol:
They all look the same upside down mate :lol: :lol:
 

dondon

MIA
Lingyai said:
dondon said:
Lingyai said:
I last lost my i d and had to fill in the report for the administartive charge (read fine) for a new one. I knew where it was ish, I had left it at the reception of a short time hotel in Dubai when I was boning a whore from the garage bar. Didn't realise till I got back to the gate and then it was too late, I would never find the place again. Wrote the truth on the report though, no sense in lying. Ah, memories, dusky little thing from Ethiopia as I remember.....

Good man , never been with an Ethiopian , love Brazilians though , 8) :lol:
They all look the same upside down mate :lol: :lol:
I try & compare the aromas in the cellar areas , mmmmm
 
I wonder if all the foreign tangles we are all involved with now will help to make the service recognised by the country. It's a shame that our government do not recognise or really appreciate the committment of our troops. Nowadays there are more and more extended deployments with fewer personnel or equipment available. People are becoming dis-heartened with the extended time away and are beginning to leave. Who can blame them? Even with this well published spin of the bonus pay to cover tax when away is not recognition. I think this is a knee jerk reaction to a sudden retention problem. This should be in place anyway. RFA crews obtain this perk, and so do NAAFI staff on long deployments. How one person is entitled, when the rest of the crew on the same ship, is not, is beyond me! If the serving troops are not being looked after what hope the veterans?? You would like to think that someone who has served their country would achieve some recognition. The Americans certainly look after their servicemen during service and after. We could certainly learn from them, (in this case). So a veterans ID card and badge should be small beer for the government. If they stopped restructuring to save money they might finally see the trees!

Rant over.........stows soap box....... :evil:
 

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
Greenie said:
Still got my paybook somewhere .

Only ever had one and its a real historic memory jerker.
The photo is me as a 16 year old
Its got more sweat,beer,blood and other stains on it from runs ashore .

Everything in it -leave dates ,medical records and jabs clothing issues.

ID cards were too easy lost
Still got mine as well mate. Every time I look at it, it brings back memories of marching up to the pay table, showing the paybook and getting my £7 every fortnight. Seemed to go a lot further in those days though.
 
£7 you were living in luxury, pure luxury, I was only picking up a £5er and it was not enough to last a fortnight unless you drank scrumpy at a tanner a pint in the Wheelers in Torpoint!
 

bren498

Midshipman
Good point theVeterans Agency are handing out Lapel Badges and a certificate to all people who have served up to 1904,i just got mine and its very well presented i personally think the only poeple running these schemes should be veteran organisations,who would dirctly benefit from them
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Speech: British High Commissioner addresses opening of exhibition dedicated to WWII veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK aid to protect 7,000 Commonwealth veterans of the British Armed Forces from extreme poverty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD choose The Royal British Legion to lead help for veterans MoD News 0
B Abdale and others Re-trial British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 3
B British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS News story: British D-Day veterans receive Légion d’honneur award MoD News 0
S British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to Tanzania: August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Philip Barton presents credentials as British High Commissioner to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation launched on post-EU reforms for British courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has approved the appointment of Venki Ramakrishnan as a Board Member of the British Library. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to extend residence rights for British Nationals (Overseas) citizens in Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy holds virtual healthcare webinar on COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British nationals stranded in Chile returned to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Ambassador welcomes donation to fight covid 19 in Guatemala MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RWM partners with the British Geological Survey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New tech to tackle leaves on the line and de-ice platforms set to revolutionise British rail travel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alan Gemmell OBE appointed British Deputy High Commissioner for Western India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to Brunei: August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission Launches Covid-19 Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to The Gambia: July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Good karma: British travellers rescued by Deputy High Commissioner via mountain roads, ‘elephant corridor’ and a breakdown in a tiger reserve. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commissioner meets SAPM health ahead of the Global Vaccines Summit in the UK MoD News 0
I Changes to the British Nationality Act 1981 refernce Republic of Ireland Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS The British Embassy Ashgabat opens its call for project proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to bring home more British travellers from Central and South America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New flight from Jamaica to bring home British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The British Embassy Kyiv: call for project proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Rt Hon Sir Patrick McLoughlin CH as Chair of the British Tourist Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bus, plane… and horseback: How the Foreign Office helped a British traveller return home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces three more charter flights for British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flights from Caribbean Islands for British travellers to return to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for concept notes for the British Embassy Tel Aviv “COVID-19 Enabling Fund” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Asunción: call for bids 2020/2021 – COVID-19 MoD News 0
D Buy British regardless Diamond Lil's 37
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw staff wear pride-themed masks to mark IDAHOBIT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three further flights to bring hundreds of British travellers home from Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Gurkhas and UK Government rescue mission to help stranded Brits in Nepal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Jamaica for British travellers seeking to return to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another 900 British travellers in New Zealand set to return to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Guyana for stranded British nationals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel: ministerial direction on continuation of Official Receiver’s indemnity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: British, French and Dutch join forces in the Caribbean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ramadan message from the British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces flight for British travellers stranded in Fiji MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 19,000 British travellers return from cruise ships after major international effort MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint message by British and Italian Ambassadors to Poland on Earth Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First charter flight departed from Bangladesh to bring British travellers home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK set to bring home hundreds more British travellers from across the Philippines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commissioner visits COVID-19 Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top