British Soldier dies rescuing kidnapped Journalist

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Welshy, Sep 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is tragic that one of our soldiers lost his life in this operation but journalists do a brave job in bringing news from war torn areas of the world to our doors, so in this instance credit where credits due.
  2. The journalists bravery could be viewed as foolhardiness or even recklessness.It has cost a British soldier and others their lives is any story worth this terrible outcome. :?:
  3. We should get our troops out as soon as possible. On the news tonight the operation has been condemned by Afghanistan as badly planned due the the Afghan journalist and other Afghans being killed.
    Can't our government get the message? They are sacrificing lives (on both sides) for Western values, values than many Afghans do not believe in.
    We must not force those of other ethnicities to comply with our standards, I believe eventually they will evolve and sort the problems out in their own time
  4. Today's Peter Brookes cartoon in The Times rather sums things up...
  5. I expect the journalist was well aware of the risks and to be fair it was not he who authorized the raid to free him. Maybe you would prefer it if we only had news from Afghanistan that had been vetted by a government office? As long as we are there journalists love them or hate them play an important role in getting the truth to us.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

One life for three, who is this journo? is he some pulitzer prize winning scribe that brings earth shaking news with his every report or some muppet that makes a habit of getting kidnapped?
  7. Maybe the New York Times would like to make a donation to the Help for Heroes fund?
  8. Yeh Right.

Just like Mr. Virgin Atlantic DIDN'T when 819 pulled the foolish nkob from Scottish waters when his balloon went splash!!!!!!

RIP to those dead trying to save this Journo from earning his daily crust. I don't suppose he wanted anyone to die for him but are Journo's that naive to think an attempt would not be made. Sad very sad.
  9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You are either the eternal optimist or pissed!
  10. I did say in time.
    it took millions of years for football hooligans to evolve from apes.
  11. I appreciate what you're saying, but how many journos have you met who feel compelled to bring the world the truth for the good of the human race and aren't just self-serving, pissed up, hypocritical, insular fools?

As Daffy said in the other thread, he hasn't even had the good grace to acknowledge his recuers sacrifice in saving his worthless life.
  12. ______________________________________________________________

There were some celebrations among the mainly British soldiers on the aircraft home, which soon fell silent. It later emerged that one of the rescue party was also dead, mortally wounded during the raid. His blood-soaked helmet was in front of me throughout the flight. I thanked everyone who was still alive to thank. It wasn’t, and never will be, enough.

13. Repost (with minor edits) of my post on ARRSE.

It's surely significant that yesterday the government was officially offering no comment, but apparently off-camera spinning like motherfuckers about a great Special Forces rescue.

Now it turns out that the negotiators were very optimistic that they were close to getting the hostages released and are furious that SIS waded in with clodhoppers and (to quote an unnamed diplomat) 'no local knowledge of the situation' to offer 'intelligence' that led to led to an ill-timed and possibly ill-advised raid. Cue Downing Street backpedalling like bastards and saying that the Foreign Secretary and the Defence Secretary made the decision. I don't like either of 'em, and excuse my naivety, but I thought the whole point of a chain of command was so that ONE person made the decisions?

None of which will be any comfort to the soldier's family or that of Mr Munadi, or indeed the other civilians who are believed to have died.

As for 'making every effort to get the body back', we now know they didn't. The Afghans (for the reasons you state) are furious that Munadi's body was simply left there (when the soldier's was quite rightly retrieved), and the impression I'm getting from what they're saying is that they've inferred that Munadi may not have been identified as a hostage.

Easy to criticise from the position of internet geekery, but whatever has gone wrong here is clearly not the responsibility of the brave troops called on to perform an extremely difficult and dangerous mission. It just may be that they should never have been called on do so, and (whilst I accept in principle Farrell's right to be rescued) the blame MAY lie at the door of the journalist's poor risk assesment (we'll have to see how that pans out), or indeed any political intent to exploit the situation in the UK.

Edited to add - whilst having read a bit of Farrell's own account it does look like he personally is guilty of poor risk assessment which places him under a burden of responsibility, I don't share the general sentiment of antipathy to journalists such we've seen on ARRSE. If journalists weren't in Afghanistan all the general public would have is New Labour's lies about what's going on there and how wonderful it all is. That does the troops a disservice just as much as anything else. That doesn't mean there isn't the odd throbber journalist who does something like this with tragic consequences, but the amount we are lied to by our government means journalists are more necessary, not less in my view.
  14. In which case I stand corrected.

I'm still threaders he got himself in that situation which resulted in a Serviceman AND let's not forget, Civilian deaths.

15. No probs MLP you wouldn't have seen the article, it was literally hot off the press.

The simple and brutal "arithmetic of the frontier" is that we lost an SF soldier and the Taleban lost dozens.

16. 48 insurgents killed according to the Taleban themselves, however:

Plus one Woman and child and the terp.
  17. Surely the newspaper should have paid a private sector mercenary to do it rather than expecting a serviceman on a fraction of the journos salary, to save him.