British sailors arrested after ransacking a pub

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Nov 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. linky

its the daily mail, but sounds like good run-ashore.

2. Purely from a technical point of view, it's a shame the photo shows the Hunt Class vessel HMS Brocklesby instead of the captioned Sandown Class vessel HMS Pembroke or even the Sandown Class vessel HMS Grimsby, neither of which is actually a minesweeper. Yet more shoddy journalism by a national newspaper that should know better. I wonder if Brocklesby (currently in UK waters) will sue for defamation of character?

(Edited to make more sense)

3. 'Unidentified ship'.

Then HMS PEMBROKE and HMS GRIMSBY.

Eh?

4. More evidence of the perils of alcohol and I suspect that in time we'll get the real story which was probably considerably less sensational that has been reported in the mail. Of course UnSensational never sold a newspaper. I often wonder why us Forces types ever buy them.

SF

5. As 5dits says, sounds like a good run ashore, but fancy breaking the 11th commandment!

6. .. and the 11th would be?

SF

7. Dont end up in the Daily Mail? :thumright:

8. the only crime's getting caught??

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Two Sandowns ransacking a pub - just as well it wasn't a 23, a 42 or something even bigger, all with crews numbering more than 40!

10. I'm surprised that a member of the Senior Service doesn't know that "Thou shallt not get caught".

Would want to put SPB out of a job though. :biggrin:

11. The Sun is bound to issue this as a Front Page news exclusive tomorrow or Friday .... ;) :thumright:

12. Have i missed something or isn't GRIMSBY a hunt?

13. Don't kid a kidder. From HMS Grimsby's website:

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Yes you have, no it is not. Hunts are named after hunts. Beagles and horses chasing foxes in Grimsby?

Mod hat: two deletions.

Watch what you post. Journos have made an arrse of reporting this, don't help them out the hole by digging a deeper one for the accused. Threads like this are often locked/deleted and this one may be heading that way.

15. Ok, sorry.

I'm now back in the box.

16. Tosspot civvies do this al the time in Ibiza ad the like, and does it hit the papers? Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarnts

17. The BBC has picked up this story too (link).

a. The accompanying picture is captioned HMS PEMBROKE but still shows HMS BROCKLESBY (a different class of ship).

b. The caption describes HMS PEMBROKE as a minesweeper whereas she is a single-role minehunter.

I know that 99% of the population couldn't care two hoots but examples like this always reinforce my opinion that accuracy isn't exactly the media's strong point these days, even for a respected news organisation like the BBC.

18. NG...it took the BBC over a week to mention the Cumberland pirate story, and only then tagging it onto the end of the naming of 2 British crew captured on the supertanker.

19. :scratch:

20. As an old Chief said…

'Remember Son, you don't get put on a charge for being a bad boy, you get get put on a charge for getting caught'

Wise words.