British, Ozzie and Yank Police - spot the differences

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Oil_Slick, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a Police officer in the UK

How do you tell the difference between a British Police Officer an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Pose the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed?
    Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
    Could we run away?
    What does my wife think?
    What about the kids?
    Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
    What does the law say about this situation?
    Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
    Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
    Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
    Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
    If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
    Should I call 999?
    Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behaviour.
    If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed when he falls over running away, knocks his head and kills himself?
    If I shoot him, and lose the court case does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and I will lose my family home?

2. Daft yellow jackets that make them look like pregnant bumble bees?
  3. Obviously the American Office is NOT an expert shot!!!! :w00t:
  4. You forgot to add for the UK Officer:

Is he an innocent Brazilian electrician going about his business, but I'm too stupid to tell him from a panicked arab terrorist? Yes? BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG
  5. Contributor Mode

Well as an ex South London Detective IMHO The Metropolitan Police clearly failed to follow even one of the items mentions when they gunned down Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell Underground Station two years ago. The members of the surveillance team clearly committed an offence or offences of Attempting to Alter the Course of Justice (Perjury if given in evidence in court) by altering their surveillance notes to cover their mistakes. (and I am not saying it would be in the Public Interest to proceed with any procecution). That is just for a start let alone the feck ups and lies then given by Senior Officers all trying to get below the parapet and leave the firearms team who have taken four hours to get a few miles from their briefing to the the plot. Stop for breakfast did they?????. The armed Surveillance team had orders to arrest any person leaving the target address. As SO19 were not present they failed to carry out that order WHY????? and that is only what has been released by interested parties and put into print.

Me thinks you are trying to preclude a current trial or if you are not the author passing Met Pol Spin from a Police Forum.

6. Well, he wasn't entirely innocent was he? No work permit = another illegal worker gone.
  7. I seem to remember reading, and I could be way off line here, that the surveillance operator was from 14 det (pongo) as they were short of surveillance teams. Not sure where I read it, so it could easily be a bag of b*&&*x, all I can say is that it definitely wasn't in the scum.

If that was the case and he was armed, what were his ROE's? Was he on the same comm link as the Armed coppers? Surely if he feared for his life and that of the other people on the tube he could have taken a decision to engage or not.

One of the reports yesterday said that even the surveillance guy had a couple of guns pointed at him so it must have been like a Chinese fire drill in that tube train. Someone cocked up big style on this one.

Amazing though how it takes a case bought under the Health & Safety Act to try and get to the bottom of this almost as strange as Al Capone getting done for evading taxes.
  8. I thought that a rumour with no truth whatsoever?

According to Wikipedia (the all-knowing, and so trustworthy source!):

The Home Office said he arrived in Britain on 13 March 2002, initially being granted a six-month visitor's visa. He then applied to stay on a student visa, receiving permission to remain until 30 June 2003. It said it had no record of any further correspondence. A spokeswoman added: "We have seen a copy of Mr de Menezes' passport, containing a stamp apparently giving him indefinite leave to remain in the UK. On investigation, this stamp was not one that was in use by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate on the date given." De Menezes was thus living illegally in the UK.

So that settles that (?).

However, still doesn't excuse the Met's actions and ineptitude. Muppets.
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Fcuks me this thread went serious quick. So serious I thought I'd pay it some attention then realised I was in Lil's.

Although I recognise your scepticism OSLO, it amazes me that Wiki is still cited as proof of anything. I'd sooner take norman's word for something.
  10. Does'nt need to be, that's why he has a 17 shot mag (Oil Slick miscounted, he also forgot the shout of "freeze mother f*cker" after the last round went off).
  11. I believe British Forces have been known to do that in Gibraltar ... :study:
  12. Your're right GR, but it was the Hereford Hooligans who took care of the rubbish disposal at the behest of the local bobbies.
  13. I share you scepticism about Wiki, but the quote is about what the Home Office has stated. Are you saying that the stamp in his (JCdM's) passport was valid?

To assuage fears, this from the Telegraph:

" Mr de Menezes had been living in London for three years. But the Home Office issued a cautiously-worded statement last night that appeared to indicate that he had a forged stamp in his passport.

A spokesman said: "We have seen a copy of Mr de Menezes's passport containing a stamp apparently giving him indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

"On investigation, this stamp was not one that was in use by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate on the date given." "
  14. Seadog

I seem to recall Jack Straw sucking back on that OSLO. Possibly out of respect for the deceased and his family rather than respect for the truth but JCdM wasn't here sponging and mugging he didn't deserved whacked for being (if he was) technically illegal (if anyone is suggesting he did).

16. 40S&W Glocks hold 13 rounds… :thumright:
  17. Sorry to harp on about this, but I'm a stickler for getting the facts right. The statement from Jack Straw was made on 25 July after the shooting. The press release from the Home Office was made 3 days later (once it had checked its records). So to the best of public knowledge, de Menezes was apparently here illegally. HOWEVER....

....that in no way means that SO19 had the RoE nor the rights of decency society to execute him, independent of his legal status (nor of his criminal record should he have had one). In the circumstances of a clear and present danger to the public, then the shoot-to-kill policy could be argued to be the right thing. However, it is amply clear from umpteen enquiries, that the whole operation was a FUBAR, and I'm still waiting to see why the on-watch Commander didn't jump (or get pushed).

D'ya hear there: Seriousness over, Seriousness over, return and stow all argument. Morale state 3, humour readiness state 1. Normal 'Lil Watch, cruising watch.
  18. Seadog

Wait OSLO, are you saying the then Home Secretary was talking out of his arrse and was put back in his box by his own department? Like it!

May I now join you in the humour mill ?