British Out of Iraq by next July, according to Brown

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by WhizzbangDai, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/a-moment-for-truth-as-britain-exits-iraq-1202312.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article5361931.ece

May or July next year - British Forces will be out, leaving it to the Iraqi Army to do the job, apart from 400 to continue to train officers - who in turn should leave by early 2011.

Finally - several hundred deaths, £5billion and six years later - is it a win for the away team? Or just a collossal waste of time?

If there is a silver lining, at least it forced more government expenditure on equimpent! :thumbright:

2. If there is a silver lining, at least it forced more government expenditure on equimpent! :thumbright:[/quote]

oooooohhhhhhhhhh thats the best joke that i have heard for ages :dwarf:

3. All depends really on whether they will be "redeployed" to ganners.

4. haha ok I take the point, but if you look at it this way - Osprey/Kestrel, Bulldog, Mastuff, Ridgeback, Minimi, UGL, more widespread use of NVG, forced realisation of how crap Snatch is, forced realisation of how we need more helicopters, UCBA shirts, oh and best of bloody all THE NEED TO ISSUE DECENT BOOTS!!! (as someone who suffers from the issue boots, thats close to my heart)

I know Herrick experience also helped force this awareness, but Iraq got the ball rolling.

Procurement is still crap I completely agree.
    And more importantly, leaving surely means less overstrech. Anyone for Zimbabwe?

5. And more importantly, leaving surely means less overstrech.

There you go again :w00t: my sides cant take much more laughing. STOP IT :thumright:

6. I suppose we can expect a general election here soon after

7. Also amusing how it comes just when unemployment is going through the roof and on upwards into the stratosphere, where soon it will smack into the moon - they need good news, and by giving a fixed date, they've got it

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This is also an incentive to terrorist groups to commit atrocities against our people so as to 'prove' that we were kicked out (as happened in Aden in 1968). There, it was Bulwark and her helicopters that hoist the last bods out.

9. Yep, according to brown.

10. History will repeat itself, not sure if leaving and declaring a date is a good thing, granted Iraq was a mistake, but the troops have been there for a long time and if your proud of your work, you would hate to leave, thinking the job isn't finished yet, not speaking for all the troops on the ground, just my personal opinion... :hockey: