Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Nuclear Test veteran still holding HMG to task

ahoy!

Midshipman

CHRISTMAS ISLAND 1958 – GRAPPLE ‘Y’ AND ‘Z’
NUCLEAR EXPERIMENTS.

On many occasions I have been told that the Judicial system in the UK is corrupt. Having served as a Prison Officer for almost 17 years at HMP Pentonville in London I have always defended the Courts, until I crossed swords with the WPAFCC (War Pensions and Forces Compensation Chamber). Which, I consider as the most dishonest, corrupt, and unprofessional, Court in the land.

I have attended THREE first tier tribunals all of which can only be described as KANGAROO COURTS.

We often hear of large sums of money being paid, by the Government, for the legal defence of criminals and illegal immigrants, yet, Nuclear Veterans are denied this luxury.

It is only the experimental nuclear tests conducted at Christmas Island that I am discussing but I am confident that the same misdemeanours are appropriate for all of the experimental nuclear sites.

I have a ‘Release Medical Certificate’, Annex pages 1 to 3 from the Army, that is a blatant FORGERY. I did not have a medical examination on leaving the Army, as there were extenuating circumstances but, this does not concern this case at the moment. My signature on annex page 1, is a forgery. The Ministry of Defence were requested to have the signature checked by a writing expert to confirm this accusation, but, they have declined to do so. The report from my writing expert can be seen on annex page 3A.

Proof of this forgery can be found by examining annex page 2 at sub para 11a. It will be noted my height was incorrectly stated as being 61 ¼ inches and weight 95 pounds on my discharge date of 6th January 1961. On the 15 October 1954, my height had increased to 67 inches and weight 126 pounds (annex page 3). Only an IDIOT would subscribe to my height and weight in 1961 (on my release from the Armed Forces) as being identical to November 1951 (prior to my enlistment).

The Veterans agency was notified regarding this anomaly on the 26 May 2013 (Annex page 4) but they declined to acknowledge my correspondence, and took no action to rectify this matter.

It has been stated, by Mr R Cockerill (The dosimetry Manager at AWE), that the radiation dose which I received was 2.4 mSv (top of Annex page 7) throughout my tour of Christmas Island.

I find it hard to believe that a Dosimetry Manager could make such an error in his calculations, I wanted to cross examine him, under oath, to discover if he had been forced to quote the ridiculous figure of 2.4 mSv, in order to appease the Ministry of Defence. Perhaps if Mr Cockerill paid attention to the radiation levels at Christmas Island rather than berating me for my Freedom of information questions we may have received true and honest figures.

The late Judge Stubbs and Judge Horrocks gave “Directions” that Mr Cockerill should attend my First Tier Tribunal. “Directions” were also given for the “Original compendium of radiation film badges issued for Operation Grapple Zulu” be presented at court. These ‘Directions’ were ignored by the Ministry of Defence Legal Team, and no action was taken against them for doing so. Annex page 20 shows the arrogant attitude by the Ministry of Defence Legal Team.

If we look at Annex page 9 (taken from ES1/602) we discover the radiation level 1½ hours after detonation was 1 Roentgen per hour = 10 mSv. Annex page 10 shows the rate of radiation decay and Annex page 11 shows the radiation had come down to working levels (whatever that may be!) 9 Days after detonation.

Any Primary School Child would be able to state a person entering Ground Zero 2 hours after detonation would be receiving an absolute minimum of 9 mSv of radiation per hour. How Mr Cockerill, the dosimetry Manager, managed to overlook this fact makes one doubt his ability.

Radiation film badges issued were to discover the level of radiation a person received whilst in a radioactive zone. What were the reasons these documents were altered, and who authorised it?

I was issued with THREE radiation film badges:
10459 was issued as a Routine film badge.
10560 was issued specifically for Operation Pennant.
11256 was issued specifically for Operation Burgee.

It is stated by the authorities:
10459 was issued for Pennant and we received no radiation.
10560 was a routine film badge issued for August 58.
11256 was a routine film badge issued for September 58.
This was a blatant lie, designed to confuse the entire issue.

Fortunately, there was one honest Member of Parliament, the Defence Secretary Derek Twigg, who gave the correct interpretation of the film badges at the bottom of annex page 13 and top of annex page 14. Why the Ministry of Defence and the AWE have continually lied regarding this issue requires investigation. Are the Ministry of Defence calling Mr Derek Twigg a LIAR?

The authorities decided that personnel entering highly radioactive areas should have a blood count taken prior to the tests, and a further blood count taken after completion of the tests. Annex page 17 is the report of a blood count taken prior to the four detonations (two Hydrogen and two Atomic bombs) and this was placed in my Service Records. A further blood count was taken after completion of the four detonations but this was not placed in my Service Records, I am now informed that NO TRACE can be found of this document. It is my opinion this was gross mismanagement. The same opinion must also be made regarding the missing hospital records from Royal Air Force Hospital, Aden.

Approx 18 months after my return from Christmas Island I was posted to Aden, and was hospitalised on several occasions during my tour mainly for problems resulting from my time at Christmas Island, one incident in particular occurred on the 2 June 1960 when I suffered from swollen glands in my groin. Annex page 18 is proof of my admission to the Hospital for 13 days, and annex page 19 confirms that the results of a gland biopsy was awaited. The results of this biopsy, has never been revealed to me, and I have been informed that no trace can be found of my hospital records. When one looks at the facts: My blood count after the detonations cannot be found, The result of my biopsy with the hospital records cannot be found, my radiation film badges have been wrongly declared as not returned, No record can be found regarding my QFE Dosimeters, they were reading 5 roentgens (50 mSv) and many other documents that apparently cannot be found leads me to believe that there is gross mismanagement at the Ministry of Defence or a deliberate attempt to eradicate all reference to the levels of radiation at the British experimental nuclear tests. I consider the old adage, “If one item goes missing it is an accident, if two items go missing it is carelessness, if three or more items go missing it is “DELIBERATE.”

Could it be they were attempting to discover the level of radiation a person must receive in order to KILL them. L/Cpl Derek Redman is a good example, he drove various Boffins into the Hydrogen bomb Ground Zero on numerous occasions after the largest British hydrogen bomb was detonated (Grapple ‘Y’), he was denied any protective clothing or respirator. He passed away 7 days after detonation having been found to be 100% fit for posting to Christmas Island. He was quickly buried at sea.

I should mention that there were two Ground Zero’s, one for the Atomic Bombs, the other for Hydrogen bombs, they were approx three miles apart.

The removal of all documents relating to this period are being, or have been, moved to the North of Scotland where individual researchers will not be able to visit. We are given the feeble excuse it is to make more room. If this is the case, why not move all documents prior to 1900 to the North of Scotland, or, build new storage facilities. I believe they are using the adage “Out of sight, out of mind” to cover up the atrocities they have committed. I foresee a disaster, a Fire, a flood or some other catastrophe where all of the documents will be destroyed. Even the possibility of lies being told, regarding the destruction of all incriminating evidence.

David Whyte
Nuclear Veteran
Christmas Island 1958
Operations ‘Y’ & ‘Z’

Dave Whyte a Brownjob corporal during the 50's 60's has long been a thorn in the side of AWRE later AWE a pseudonym used by MOD like Porton Down to give the impression it's nothing to do with them. They did it over the Porton Down testing sarin nerve agent pretending it was to find a cure for the common cold .
If you would like to see more his email address is:- [email protected]

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

Last edited:

Wightsparker

War Hero
Sorry to disagree with other posters, but whether or not @ahoy! is Norman, I think he has a valid point.

The treatment of the nuclear test veterans has been absolutely appalling and I'm a bit surprised that others - who would otherwise support veterans - haven't acknowledged that.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
But we have. Many times. However, there is little we can do about it and having it repeatedly dragged up as disembodied quotes from unacknowledged sources without any effort to stimulate debate is tiresome. Hence the reactions.

To get an indication of how balanced and objective the protagonist is here, try reading this:

MY EXPERIENCE AS A NUCLEAR VETERAN - DAVE WHYTE (labrats.international)

There is such a thing as putting your audience off with swirling hyperbole and over-exaggeration.

Last edited:

Wightsparker

War Hero
But we have. Many times. However, there is little we can do about it and having it repeatedly dragged up as disembodied quotes from unacknowledged sources without any effort to stimulate debate is tiresome. Hence the reactions.

To get an indication of how balanced and objective the protagonist is here, try reading this:

MY EXPERIENCE AS A NUCLEAR VETERAN - DAVE WHYTE (labrats.international)

There is such a thing as putting your audience off with swirling hyperbole and over-exaggeration.

OK. Hyperbole. But are the allegations credible?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
When you consider the government debacle surrounding the Hep B and blood donor scandal then yes, perfectly credible. Whether this is by accident or design, we won't really know but the MoD has form in the past for being less than forthcoming about certain matters (HMS Eagle), but there also needs to be a certain amount of context taken into account as well. The accusation of lesser courts being kangaroo-like in nature is to be expected from those who do not win anything at them.

What I find interesting is that those making the most noise about this are well advanced in years. These tests were in the 1950's, and yet they are still alive to write blogs about it. Not the worst outcome in my view - a scandal so heinous it forced people to live well into their 80s and 90s.

ahoy!

Midshipman
When you consider the government debacle surrounding the Hep B and blood donor scandal then yes, perfectly credible. Whether this is by accident or design, we won't really know but the MoD has form in the past for being less than forthcoming about certain matters (HMS Eagle), but there also needs to be a certain amount of context taken into account as well. The accusation of lesser courts being kangaroo-like in nature is to be expected from those who do not win anything at them.

What I find interesting is that those making the most noise about this are well advanced in years. These tests were in the 1950's, and yet they are still alive to write blogs about it. Not the worst outcome in my view - a scandal so heinous it forced people to live well into their 80s and 90s.
Most are long dead. There are but few survivors to this day. Most of the anger springs from their offspring. This Whyte fellow is one of the survivors. Another a RAF navigator who flew though the nuclear clouds to take air samples is also still alive. Their argument stems from MOD's deceitfulness. If there was little danger so be it.
HMG has to consider their position should they admit to the dangers of ionizing radiation.
Might they be overwhelmed with claims for damages from prolonged usage of mobile phones radiation?
Could that be the reason for telling Whyte and others that Ionizing radiation is nothing to be afraid of?
So far as MOD's chicanery is concerned have a look at their deceit over the Find a cure for the common Cold when all they were doing was testing Sarin Nerve Agent on bamboozled, mostly National Service volunteers being promised extra food no work and a service to their country. They were caught out in the end--many years- as they will be caught out this time.
Their being caught out yet again is approaching fast.

Last edited:

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
As I said, the MOD has form for this type of thing and it is still here, able to brazen it out once more. T'was ever thus. You can look at the debacle of the Crimean and Boer Wars in a medical context where often the majority of casualties were not due to enemy action. It took the War Office a long time to determine that an effective medical branch should not just be there for casevac.

What would be interesting would be what the other nuclear powers were doing at their tests, at the start of the era of the Ultimate Deterrent. Hence why I mentioned the context. Hindsight vision is always 20/20.

Your sarin story can be found here:

Interesting that the first MSM articles to come up in a Google search on Porton Down Testing on Soldiers threw up the Grauniad and the Independent - both well known for their support of UK governments and departments. Even so, it gives me a sense of pride that I can do that and find such articles freely and openly available.

Feel free to accuse me of being an MOD lackey and in their service / pay, as you have done in the past, but whilst I hold a healthy scepticism of what the government (and particularly politicians) says it does as compared to reality, I am reassured that the country I have been fortunate to have been born into is one where principles such as honest fair play still has some meaning. Otherwise, what is the point in any of it?

ahoy!

Midshipman
As I said, the MOD has form for this type of thing and it is still here, able to brazen it out once more. T'was ever thus. You can look at the debacle of the Crimean and Boer Wars in a medical context where often the majority of casualties were not due to enemy action. It took the War Office a long time to determine that an effective medical branch should not just be there for casevac.

What would be interesting would be what the other nuclear powers were doing at their tests, at the start of the era of the Ultimate Deterrent. Hence why I mentioned the context. Hindsight vision is always 20/20.

Your sarin story can be found here:

Interesting that the first MSM articles to come up in a Google search on Porton Down Testing on Soldiers threw up the Grauniad and the Independent - both well known for their support of UK governments and departments. Even so, it gives me a sense of pride that I can do that and find such articles freely and openly available.

Feel free to accuse me of being an MOD lackey and in their service / pay, as you have done in the past, but whilst I hold a healthy scepticism of what the government (and particularly politicians) says it does as compared to reality, I am reassured that the country I have been fortunate to have been born into is one where principles such as honest fair play still has some meaning. Otherwise, what is the point in any of it?
Am certainly not convinced you are a MOD sycophant ,despite your portraying certain tendencies--However I am convinced you must have a liberal leaning toward them.
But it's the season of good-will-so let Voltaire speak. I disagree profoundly with what you say but defend to the death your right to say them. Perhaps you might condescend to reciprocate. Happy New Year.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Am certainly not convinced you are a MOD sycophant ,despite your portraying certain tendencies--However I am convinced you must have a liberal leaning toward them.
But it's the season of good-will-so let Voltaire speak. I disagree profoundly with what you say but defend to the death your right to say them. Perhaps you might condescend to reciprocate. Happy New Year.
Do you speak like that in real life??

ahoy!

Midshipman
Do you speak like that in real life??
Who does?
Did Shakespeare talk like that in everyday conversation. No one does. We all write differently from the way we speak.
Why does it interest you so ."Bloody hell mate what the **** are you on about"? Pray tell us.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Who does?
Did Shakespeare talk like that in everyday conversation. No one does. We all write differently from the way we speak.
Why does it interest you so ."Bloody hell mate what the **** are you on about"? Pray tell us.
Cheers dit’s.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator

Actually, Voltaire didn't say that. At least, not directly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D British Nuclear Test Veterans The Gash Barge 16
MoD_RSS New guidance for British Nuclear Test Veterans MoD News 4
B Abdale and others Re-trial British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 3
B British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 16
S British Nuclear Test Veterans Current Affairs 9
soleil i News: "BBC And ITV In Battle Over Rival British Nuclear Submarine Murder Dramas" Submariners 10
D British Nuclear Tests Diamond Lil's 2
D British Nuclear Tests'MP's lied to by the MoD' A House of Commons library document which is used by MP's when discussing the Nuclear testing program Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS News story: British jobs secured through upgrade to nuclear deterrent MoD News 0
soleil Telegraph: "Nuclear Submarine 'Within Metres Of Disaster' Off British Coast: Report" Submariners 2
daffy1 Aliens have deactivated British and US nuclear missiles, say Current Affairs 12
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary opens £70-million British Army facility in Kenya MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy strengthens health response efforts to tackle COVID-19 in Sololá MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces plan to scrap EU law, ensuring British drivers avoid £50 a year insurance hike MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New campaign to support vaccine roll-out backed by social media companies and British institutions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tim Richards announced as new chair of the British Film Institute MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alex Ellis presents credentials as British High Commissioner to India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British manufacturer SureScreen Diagnostics to supply 20 million rapid lateral flow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Ambassador visits Chiquimula MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spacewalk to fit ground-breaking British kit to International Space Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kiwi women given the chance to be British High Commissioner for a day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to Canada: Susannah Goshko MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £102-million investment in detect and destroy system for British Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Ambassador travels to Quetzaltenango MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British public urged to play their part in historic vaccine roll out MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army trains 500th Somali soldier in infantry skills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes plan for the largest vaccination programme in British history MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to deploy first British-manufactured rapid lateral flow antigen tests for COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to Rwanda: Omar Daair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to India: Alex Ellis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Algiers climate fund: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British exporters recognised in New Year’s Honours List 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British troops train Zambian rangers to catch poachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £23 million boost for British businesses through referral scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British–Croatian Fellowship Programme Climate Change and COP26 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army family gets new home for Christmas as they move into the first refurbished houses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Situation of British Nationals abroad due to COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wales to play part in delivering new British Army vehicle MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Bangkok hosted the screening of Sir David Attenborough’s latest documentary ‘A Life on Our Planet’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Sir Mark Walport as the Royal Society’s Trustee for the British Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary visits British troops defending NATO’s eastern flank in Estonia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy in Santiago receives Civil Service Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Overseas Territories commit to publishing further information on company ownership in major anti-corruption move MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Dublin hosts citizen's outreach event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy San Jose: Call for bids - Climate Change seminar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 300 British troops deploy to Mali on UN Peacekeeping Mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Dakar: calls for bids on climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Chisinau call for proposals: State Forestry Agency Reform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alumni event and celebration of St Andrew’s Day at the British Ambassador’s residence MoD News 0