British forces failed in Basra, says US official

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rum_rat, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British forces failed in Basra, says US official

A senior US intelligence official in Baghdad has said British forces lost control of Basra by pulling out troops too quickly.

British forces have failed in Basra
    British commanders are preparing to hand over Basra Palace to the Iraqi army later this month

The result has been a security vacuum which has allowed the city's religious, tribal and criminal factions battle it out for control of the streets.

"The British have basically been defeated in the south," the intelligence official told the Washington Post.
  2. I suppose the Americans know what they're talking about--- plenty of experience in that direction! :thumright:
  3. DITTO
  4. You would have to agree with the Yank on that one. There is no political will in the UK to keep troops in Basra, and from the Army guys I have spoken to who have been there recently, it is difficult enough doing a patrol in a heavily armoured vehicle. The Militia's have almost total control, the Airfield is under constant rocket and mortar attack, the troops are living with blast walls between their pits.

In all honesty we mostprobably lost control when we declared our intention to get out as quickly as we could. The Americans may not be doing a brilliant job, but this guy is probably right. And at this point we cannot castigate the Yanks for pulling out too quickly - their surge is exactly the opposite. And even that is having a debatable level of success. However as soon as congress turn off the cash, the US will have to start drawing down troop numbers, and I anticipate we will see an even greater level of bloodshed, ethnic cleansing and Iranian involvement before Iraq splits into 3 separate entities; Kurdish, Shiite and Sunni.
  5. The Nu Liebour pollies will is there and they were quick enough to commit, but unfortunately the will to give them the backing and support to do the job isn't.
  6. Unfortunately the US appear to be right on this one. We have drawn down our numbers and therefore concentrated into fewer and then only one main location. We have all our people in the one basket - or target - which makes it just that much easier for those who wish to attack them.
  7. Well that makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that my time here has achieved absolutely sweet FA. I'm sure the families of the fallen will be equally as pleased.
    Bloody Septics spouting crap as usual
  8. With other sub-divisions for Kurdish Shia and Kurdish Sunni.

Apparently nothiing moves faster than a Kurdish Shia....
  9. Looking ahead the real worry is the plan to concentrate all British troops within the confines of Basra Airport. The article explains that the airport is presently receiving 600 rocket/mortar hits per month and that troops confined there will be like cowboys surrounded by hostile indians. This is not a good plan......

10. This is most definitely not a good plan, I know first hand and have said this from the beginning of my tour way back in Feb. I have been part responsible for the closure of all of our outstations and have seen the frequency and ferocity of attacks on the airstation increase. Can't help but feel like a sitting duck.
  11. I generally agree with the tone of the article, by declaring an intent to withdraw and then consolidating into a single site UK plc have demonstrated a lack of political commitment to finish the job we started and have left the door wide open for informal control to seek to establish itself.
  12. I would like to ask this question, did any of us think this catastrophe was winnable from the start and that we would pull out leaving Iraq in sweetness and light?
  13. what do you mean by winnable?

Personally I don't believe we had any mandate to invade in the first place, the desperation evident in President Tonys efforts to find a justification that would be accepted indicating that. Having gone in I do think we had an obligation to support a transition to a stable government, lthough I'm unconvinced that democracy was the best solution.

I also believe that to have achieved that would have required a consistent strategy throughout Iraq and a co-operative or supportive Iran. at the time Iran could have gone that direction, but the US sabre rattling and threats have only served to exacebate their hostility.

I also think that it was potentially a twenty year job.
  14. In a nutshell :thumright: Everyone is so damned impatient, Democracy now, dammit...well it's not likely to happen overnight, but as all of us have 20-20 hindsight looking back aint going to make it better.

It was a cockup from the the minute the Iraqi army was disbanded and the looting was allowed to take place....lack of leadership and discipline from the start.

Can anyone else see where this is leading? can you say UN Peacekeeping, this will be handed over to the security council and they will insist on a UN Force to be the buffer between the 3 in essence we will be there for awhile yet... :threaten:

Recommend the UN force be made up of Russian and Chinese troops, let them get a taste of what it's like to try and stabilize this area...
  15. Karma, answer to your question. To leave Iraq in sweetness and light. This is never going to happen, the country is in a state of civil war and nothing we do will resolve the current situation, it's a bloody shambles and the blame lies squarely on the shoulders, if they have any of Bush and Blair.

AfterSSE, why should it be Russian and Chinese troops? They did not start it we did.
  16. I'd agree with your assessment of the current situation, but I also think it could have been stabilised. I'd agree with your judgement of who is responsible as well.

I'm just unclear on sweetness and light, this is the real world and that never happens.
  17. It's all sweetness and light at Finknottle Towers. ^~
  18. It looks like we are set to pull out in the not too distant future. The tradgedy being all those who have lost their lives in that shit hole will have done so for nothing, nice 1 Blair. :angryfire:
  19. Karma
    It is fairly obvious that you have little or no knowledge of Arab mentality. They are still tribal, though the tribes are in fact different hues of the Islamic religion.
    Saddam was able to control the Iraqis through brutality. Which it would seem is the only language that they understand.
    We will eventually pull out and the civil war which is happening already will escalate to full blown civil war. The victor will then rule Iraq with brutality and the wheel will have turned its full circle.
  20. Not talking about replacements, I'm talking about when and if the UN mandated troops arrive to clean up the mess, it's always our troops (UK/Canadian/US/Australian and others) who have to pull the weight of the UN while the Russians and Chinese conveniently "veto" any and all sanctions that the rest of the world agrees to.

So I feel the Russians and the Chinese should shut up or put up when it comes time to sorting this mess out, and if you think they didn't have a hand in starting this, then go back in time a little to see who were ignoring the sanctions and selling and buying in Iraq, after GW1.