British citizen lived in U.S. for 10 years. Officer?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by UKUSUK, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am a 22 year old British citizen currently finishing my degree at a university in the US. I would like to return to the UK and apply to be an officer in the Royal Marines. I have lived her for the last 10 years however, and noticed on the recruiting webpage that a candidate has to have lived in the UK for the 5 years preceding application. Are any exceptions made? If not, then I have no chance of becoming an officer in the Royal Marines, as by the time the 5 years passes I'll be 28, and the maximum age is 26.

2. If you're a British citizen there should be no qualifying period, according to this page of the RM website.'m-a-british-citizen-but-live-overseas,-can-i-still-apply-to-join-the-royal-marines/*/changeNav/7137

You may have been looking at the entry requirements for Foreign nationals.
    However the site does occaisionally have out of date information so best to check with an Armed Forces Career Office (Or wait for the definative answer from Ninja Stoker or Super Mario.)
    As the recruiting process is rather long winded, interviews, tests, medicals and Admiralty Interview Boards (For Potential Officers.) etc, it may be wise to get the ball rolling ASAP.
  3. For what it's worth, I joined the RN as an officer immediately after living in the States for five years as a British subject because my parents were British emigrants. I had to provide the usual referees to pass the security vetting process and have no reason to believe the citizenship/domicile requirements for entry have changed since then.
  4. Hi,

Having had a look at our regulations this morning, I think you should be OK to apply. Our overseas recruiting No. is 0044 1604 640015, give them a ring and they should be able to pass you on the the relevent person who will then start to process you for application.

One of the things we will need to do is confirm that the AIB will accept you educational paperwork for the basic academic checks for officer entry.

Try giving them a ring and get things started as soon as possible. Entry for RM officer is quiet competitive, so make sure that you have had a look at the RM webiste and are doing everything to give yourself the best chance of getting chosen -

5. Thank you so much for all of your help.
  6. Don't forget to lose the accent before you return to God's country...the RM will teach you a new vocabulary and how to use it...GOOD LUCK...
  7. UKUSUK, did you ever think of changing your nickname as well as to me it reads
    UK U SUK which is not the best term of endearment I can think of on an ex service site.
  8. Jeez, :roll:
  9. "HOORAHhhhhhhh!!!!!" will not be required. :D
  10. The wording was "lived here for 5 years" not lived here for the last 5 years so by that you should be ok'm-a-british-citizen-but-live-overseas,-can-i-still-apply-to-join-the-royal-marines/*/changeNav/7137
  11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

KNowing he's a Brit in the US who wantss to joing the RM I read it as UK-US-UK.
  12. Each to his own, either ither.
    I did not say he meant it that way,....... if I did, do you think that I would not say so,
    you think twenty odd years on the lower deck and I'm shy or bashful?