Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Britannia failed the waves

chinamatelot

Lantern Swinger
http://www.uk250.co.uk/frame/3220/times-the.html

We need a new cod war to protect our Fish & Chips and use the excuse to get some more ships in the water.

Quote from the comment:

And so the steady despoliation of our seas – overfished, hopelessly underdefended, beloved in theory but abused in practice, a shared resource that is gradually being wrecked for all – continues. Only by protecting our marine habitats can we hope to preserve the livelihoods that depend on them – and our endangered taste for fish and chips.

End quote.

Any old Rothesays hanging about?

Some bright spark might think that the idea of Syclla is a good thing and send the whole damn fleet to the seabed to preserve the fish and save on the budget!

China.

I thought
This, warns Richard Girling in his terrifying new book, Sea Change, is a way to earn a living that is approximately equivalent to “harvesting rabbits by bombing the Chilternsâ€.
quite apt.

He makes little mention of European Common Fisheries Policy. As I understand it, that policy rather ties our hands even in our own Waters: http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-1531 .

Ah, SCYLLA!

When I was Ships Co., I thought she was the DBs, however the last time I saw her in service in Guzz dockyard, I thought she looked tired and really small.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ted Heath gave away our fishing grounds to Europe when he was so keen to give anything to bribe our way to the EEC, for his own personal glory. He being disinclined to produce progeny of course had no stake in our future, only his own present. Anyway there won't be any fish at all soon if the EU doesn't abandon its idiotic rules on 'days at sea' etc and go another way (which works elsewhere) which is to ban all fishing from selected large swathes of sea. This would be much easier to police, any boat caught in such an area impounded whether nets were out or not.

beltfedwombat

Midshipman
Seaweed said:
Ted Heath gave away our fishing grounds to Europe when he was so keen to give anything to bribe our way to the EEC, for his own personal glory. He being disinclined to produce progeny of course had no stake in our future, only his own present. Anyway there won't be any fish at all soon if the EU doesn't abandon its idiotic rules on 'days at sea' etc and go another way (which works elsewhere) which is to ban all fishing from selected large swathes of sea. This would be much easier to police, any boat caught in such an area impounded whether nets were out or not.

I'll second that Seaweed. Many, many moons ago, I did a dollop (albeit a small one) of seatime in a couple of fishery protection vessels and couldn't understand why the closure area policy wasn't adopted. It seemed ridiculous to have a fleet of FPV's chasing around the oggin, with jack jumping on and off trawlers (often at great risk to life and limb!) to count and measure dead fish, when designated closure areas could be policed by the occasional MPA with a half decent camera on board.
I even had the opportunity to ask several representatives of MAFF whether I was missing some obvious reason why it wasn't done that way, but they couldn't give me anything more constructive than a shrug of the shoulders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: "Whittall Division Are Making History At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil RN Website: "Britannia Royal Naval College Lights Up For VE Day" Bases / Shore Est 3
MoD_RSS Britannia Protects the Waves: £7m extra funding to protect UK marine life MoD News 0
FreedomTea From picking up the phone to Britannia - A guide to Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
soleil Herald Express: "Final Parade Of The Year At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Britannia Royal Naval College Open Day - Saturday, July 27th 2013 Bases / Shore Est 4
D Britannia, Table Bay 1995 History 1
soleil Scotsman: "Rule Britannia: Life On Board The Royal Yacht" The Quarterdeck 0
T Jutland warship may berth with Britannia Current Affairs 5
U Raleigh the new Britannia? The Quarterdeck 14
soleil BBC: A Century Of Training At Britannia Royal Naval College Bases / Shore Est 9
P Wartime role of HMY Britannia - query History 46
B Britannia Cranwell Sandhurst amalgamation? The Gash Barge 3
T social life at britannia Social & Reunions 5
MoD_RSS Commission finds trustees failed to protect charity from founder who misused funds MoD News 0
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26