Britain leads in "Inventions" can we build the goods?

Andy_Cap said:
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
NotmeChief said:
For a bespoke car I'd still buy German.

Weismann all the way.

Try googling BMW turbo problems, you might just change your mind.

There is nothing special about German cars, they are made on the same machinery and built down to a price and not up to a quality the same as all cars.

Been perfectly happy with my BMW, as is my brother and my neighbour, no problems here. This being my 11th car, I can assure you it is streets ahead of anything else. Like it or not, German cars shit on the opposition, including the Japanese.

For my next purchase I shall be buying an E-class.

I had a 320 clk.Heap of shite.Uncomfortable, didnt corner and juicy.Had a great interior light though.
E class.Different class.Trouble is with mercs(as other German cars)is all the toys are extra's but then I'm a Volvo man so what do I know. 8O

Great choice MLP. runs like a dream :D

2_deck_dash

War Hero
v8topcat said:
2_deck_dash said:
There are a couple of mental track car companies still knocking about like Ariel and Westfield, but these are cars that should never be driven on the road, unless of course you are a mental.

Westfield/caterham.If you ever get the chance for a track day with one go for it.The smile will last for years.

My cousin has a Fisher Fury with a Honda Fireblade engine. Did a day in that and thought my internals were going to come out of my arse from the acceleration.

2_deck_dash said:
v8topcat said:
2_deck_dash said:
There are a couple of mental track car companies still knocking about like Ariel and Westfield, but these are cars that should never be driven on the road, unless of course you are a mental.

Westfield/caterham.If you ever get the chance for a track day with one go for it.The smile will last for years.

My cousin has a Fisher Fury with a Honda Fireblade engine. Did a day in that and thought my internals were going to come out of my arse from the acceleration.
I did a track day in a caterham and it wasn't one of the later ones but I was pissing past Ferrari's and Porches like they had their handbrakes on.It gave me a tiny insight into what a F1 drivers neck has to endure!!!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Morgan Motor Company, based at Malvern, Worcestershire:

16 Aug 10: "Morgan Eva GT unveiled"

car_photo_388894_25.jpg

car_photo_388888_25.jpg

car_photo_388867_25.jpg

:cool:

G

guestm

NotmeChief said:
Oh dear - Mercedes are famous for rust problems, they took over from Alfa in that realm.
Do a google on Mercedes rust.

Not entirely famous for it.

They made a paint process **** up a decade ago which affected the old E-class and vans, it was addressed and is not an issue

Google any car manufacturer and you will find issues, no matter who they are. The point is, with the exception of the newer Jags, Lexus and potentially Infiniti, the Germans lead the way in quality, service and dynamics.

Rumrat said:
The thread also asks why? the British do not seem (usually) to capitalise on inventions they make.
Take the computer for instance. The jet engine, television, vertical take off, we never seem to pursue the invention.

I can't answer that mate, because I don't know. It is an interesting and valid point though.

Perhaps we're just a nation of lazy fuckers with a limited attention span.

Rumrat

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
Oh dear - Mercedes are famous for rust problems, they took over from Alfa in that realm.
Do a google on Mercedes rust.

Not entirely famous for it.

They made a paint process * up a decade ago which affected the old E-class and vans, it was addressed and is not an issue

Google any car manufacturer and you will find issues, no matter who they are. The point is, with the exception of the newer Jags, Lexus and potentially Infiniti, the Germans lead the way in quality, service and dynamics.

Rumrat said:
The thread also asks why? the British do not seem (usually) to capitalise on inventions they make.
Take the computer for instance. The jet engine, television, vertical take off, we never seem to pursue the invention.

I can't answer that mate, because I don't know. It is an interesting and valid point though.

Perhaps we're just a nation of lazy fuckers with a limited attention span.

What the fuck was we talking about something to do with piping the side going to shite since they stopped the tot was it? 8O

No I got it now we was discussing painting Germans who were rusty at vertical television, or mercenaries driving .......oh look nurse is here 8O :wink:

seafarer1939

War Hero
Fiat got to be the worst car I ever bought,my best mate was a dealer and sold it to me,I went around later in an effort to clean his clock it was so bad.
It broke down every week,it rusted away every day,I ended up one dark drizzly night with a windscreen wiper in my hand stopping every mile or so to clean the rain off as the wipers always broke down,
Shite of the first order.