Britain leads in "Inventions" can we build the goods?

G

guestm

TVR. The most unreliable cars ever.

Have to agree with 2DD, British cars have always been shite, Land Rovers have an abysmal history. As for the French using cheap parts, that is why their cars are cheap, shocker. With the exception of the Citroen DS3 which my missus has just bought, which is essentially a mini with a nicer frock.

You get what you pay for, that said I have owned a Fiat and had no issues with it at all.

Rumrat

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
Rumrat said:
As for British cars well we only build two now the Morgan, and the Aston Martin.

Bristol are still going. It's what God drives.

You are of course totally right, I forgot the fuck about them, my dad owned one of the buggers not long before he died.
Nice one you old bugger. :D

2_deck_dash

War Hero
There are a couple of mental track car companies still knocking about like Ariel and Westfield, but these are cars that should never be driven on the road, unless of course you are a mental.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
If you're going mega bespoke you could always go down the Italian route and buy a nice car and have it completely rebuilt by a coach builder.

This started life as an Enzo, the owner took it to Pininfarina and they turned it into this:
Ferrari10.jpg

Likewise this was a Spyker C12, a bit of tweaking by Zagato and this was born:
2007_Spyker_C12_Zagato_r3q.JPG

Rumrat

War Hero
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
TVR. The most unreliable cars ever.

Have to agree with 2DD, British cars have always been shite, Land Rovers have an abysmal history. As for the French using cheap parts, that is why their cars are cheap, shocker. With the exception of the Citroen DS3 which my missus has just bought, which is essentially a mini with a nicer frock.

You get what you pay for, that said I have owned a Fiat and had no issues with it at all.

Ok so when I hate you enough I'll sell you mine.
I'm glad you earn enough to pay for the CHEAP parts. A fuckin thermostat costs £84 squid as you have to buy the housing its in as well.
Friggin rip off. :twisted:
Ok the Weismann is nice but hardly mass produced, and when you say British cars have always been crap no they haven't, how far you going back with that statement.
In the 60's nothing could touch British cars for quality or design. It was the strikes that killed the industry by pushing the price for quality through the roof. Japanese cars were rot boxes in the early years, but the people who bought new cars didn't care as they would not own them by the time the "Rot Set In" to coin a phrase.
The plus for them was a free fitted radio, electric aerials, and no bags of dosh to pay for what we called "Extras".
We built shite cars after that to keep the price down and thus became crap at it. You cannot compete price wise with a country that can build a car(then) for a third as much as you ( peasants working for peanuts) and sell it half the price.
When our industry was destroyed their prices rose.

Edited to say, if you look on google you will see hundreds of people requesting help with problems that have beset their Fiats, especially the Stilo. Yes all cars have inherent faults but at £45 + vat a throw and needing to replaced in pairs often I hardly call the coil pack problem cheap or reliable.

NotmeChief

Banned
For a bespoke car I'd still buy German.

Weismann all the way.

Try googling BMW turbo problems, you might just change your mind.

There is nothing special about German cars, they are made on the same machinery and built down to a price and not up to a quality the same as all cars.

G

guestm

NotmeChief said:

Weismann all the way.

There is nothing special about German cars, they are made on the same machinery and built down to a price and not up to a quality the same as all cars.

Been perfectly happy with my BMW, as is my brother and my neighbour, no problems here. This being my 11th car, I can assure you it is streets ahead of anything else. Like it or not, German cars shit on the opposition, including the Japanese.

For my next purchase I shall be buying an E-class.

Andy_Cap

War Hero
NotmeChief said:

Weismann all the way.

Been perfectly happy with my BMW, as is my brother and my neighbour, no problems here. This being my 11th car, I can assure you it is streets ahead of anything else. Like it or not, German cars shit on the opposition, including the Japanese.

Great choice MLP. runs like a dream :D

Rumrat

War Hero
NotmeChief said:

Weismann all the way.

2 to 3 years old at £20,000 a throw? Not exactly family saloon type is it?
And my idea of quality plus reliability is for a car that gives at least 5 years trouble free service.
The thread also asks why? the British do not seem (usually) to capitalise on inventions they make.
Take the computer for instance. The jet engine, television, vertical take off, we never seem to pursue the invention.

NotmeChief

Banned
NotmeChief said:

Weismann all the way.

Oh dear - Mercedes are famous for rust problems, they took over from Alfa in that realm.
Do a google on Mercedes rust.

2_deck_dash said:
There are a couple of mental track car companies still knocking about like Ariel and Westfield, but these are cars that should never be driven on the road, unless of course you are a mental.

Westfield/caterham.If you ever get the chance for a track day with one go for it.The smile will last for years.