Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bristol 24-7: "Bristol Royal Naval Reservist Receives Iraq Medal"

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
Anyone else from 10MCM days think that Squeaky obviously ate all the pies :)

Yes I do and a 4 ringer to boot! From what I saw when recenty visiting Flying Fox, the picture actually shows most of the current Ship's company in the background!

WatchOnStopOn

Midshipman
Yes I do and a 4 ringer to boot! From what I saw when recenty visiting Flying Fox, the picture actually shows most of the current Ship's company in the background!

You obviously don't visit Fox very often then do you...if thats the best comment you can muster after a good bit of publicity for the RNR locally in Bristol, bit of a BZ for someone trying to do something worthwhile rather than shooting up and mugging the nearest old dear, and a 4 ringer that has made a huge contribution to the RNR then from my part I'm glad your recent visit went unnoticed!!!

Last edited:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
You obviously don't visit Fox very often then do you...if thats the best comment you can muster after a good bit of publicity for the RNR locally in Bristol, bit of a BZ for someone trying to do something worthwhile rather than shooting up and mugging the nearest old dear, and a 4 ringer that has made a huge contribution to the RNR then from my part I'm glad your recent visit went unnoticed!!!

Calm down... I know your blast was aimed at penrecon rather than me, but I for one was pleased to see both the publicity (I was a S/R at Fox from 1997 until 2002) and also Capt Wyatt who as you say has done a huge amount for the RNR both in the old 10MCM days and in moving from a reserve force of cold-war warriors to the RNR of today.

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
Part he played in the Iraq War, my arse.

Just another FPGRM muppet who wandered around the upper deck and never set foot on Iraqi soil. Makes a mockery of those of us who actually spent our tours on the ground.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I Cant' - thats fairly harsh. Plenty of RN spent time in the TELIC JOA, and didnt set foot in Iraq. It doesnt make the regular or reserve contribution any less in my book. You can't chose where you are sent - you merely chose to serve.

(said as someone whos spent time on the ground in both TELIC and HERRICK!)

Well said PT.
ICantfly, your post is not only a tad harsh, but quite offensive. A guy has put his life on hold, done what his Country has asked of him, and because the ship he was on spent a certain amount of time further north of a certain lattitude, a certain country has deemed it appropriate to award him a medal. Well done to him.
There will always be some who "earn" medals more than others, but as niether you or I decide the qualifying conditions, how about we just zip lip when someone gets a reward and not post something offensive!
(I too got a gong for being on the ground in Iraq, and I did not deserve it as much as the squaddies that went out on patrol every day, but I was awarded it, and thus I wear it, and if anyone wants to deride me for doing so, I'd be delighted to show them how accurate I am with both a 9mm and an SA80!)

penrecon

Lantern Swinger

You really need to be a little less sensitive! I was responding to the comment about eating pies. My comment about numbers was tongue in cheek in reality, but as someone who was there when the total ship's company was about 400 in fact the numbers today are relatively small as I think you'd have to admit. I simply didn't know that Mark Wyatt was a 4 ringer and commented accordingly - as I said maybe you should adjust the sensitivity control?

PT. You love to live dangerously! 100 yds, 55 exposures, you had better hope you were oneof the2 I missed. How's things matey. Central London a tad lively tonight! :)

trehorn

War Hero
I had the pleasure of spending my full deployment with Bedlam right from pre-deployment training through to demob and I have say he's one of the most decent human beings i've ever met. Competent, conciencious and an all round good egg. Questionable dancing technique but other than that he's spot on.

As for being deserving of the medal????

I don't think anyone would argue that those who were at the thick end in 2003 are more deserving of recieving the medal than most others since. Tom is every bit as deserving as any full timer on a 22 or 23 who finds themselves above the 28th parallel for the required amount of time. I've seen RN bods transfered from a 23 to the Cardi just to get sufficient days in to qualify for their medal. I got mine a few months ago and haven't bothered mounting it yet.

broadside

War Hero
I had the pleasure of spending my full deployment with Bedlam right from pre-deployment training through to demob and I have say he's one of the most decent human beings i've ever met. Competent, conciencious and an all round good egg. Questionable dancing technique but other than that he's spot on.

As for being deserving of the medal????

I don't think anyone would argue that those who were at the thick end in 2003 are more deserving of recieving the medal than most others since. Tom is every bit as deserving as any full timer on a 22 or 23 who finds themselves above the 28th parallel for the required amount of time. I've seen RN bods transfered from a 23 to the Cardi just to get sufficient days in to qualify for their medal. I got mine a few months ago and haven't bothered mounting it yet.

Don't let the CO find out or you could find yourself being trooped for being out of rig!

trehorn

War Hero
Not even sure he knows i have it. My presentation consisted of said medal being launched across the admin office with a cry of "I think this is yours, sign this".

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
"if you'd satyed at Fox, that would never have happened! "

Absolutely - at Fox you'd have gripped it tightly in your 6 fingered palms while dreaming about how proud your sister would be of you, and whether this would increase your chances of getting lucky with her that night... :p

trehorn

War Hero
I've never actually been at Fox. I met the Bedlam for the first time on deployment and haven't seen the bearded waster since.

Apparently the beard works with the women???

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Bristol Poppy Day - £21,400 Thanks From The Royal Navy Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Bristol Evening Post: "Royal Navy Warship Sails Into Bristol City Centre" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Reverend Canon Doctor Amanda Ford appointed Dean of Bristol: 3 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bristol boy inspired by Captain Tom wins PM award MoD News 0
soleil FB: BBC West- "Who Knew Submarines Used To Visit Bristol?" Submariners 0
MoD_RSS Bristol baby rocker start-up launches global takeover MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bristol housing charity sanctioned for misconduct and mismanagement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Justice Secretary publishes plans to improve conditions at Bristol prison MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity Commission for England and Wales Annual Public Meeting in Bristol 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 100 cycle path schemes clocked up in the Bristol area MoD News 0
vauxhall CTP Employment Fair Bristol 13 June Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister visits Bristol business incubator to discuss immigration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Vehicle Checkpoint Screening Conference to take place at Aerospace Bristol MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Science Minister announces funding for cyber security and screen entertainment projects in Bristol MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Members of the public “routinely put in danger” by Bristol park and ride business MoD News 0
P Future of HMS Bristol The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS News story: Academy Bristol seminar: The road to rehabilitation from an ex-offender's perspective MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Bristol seminar: Responding to County Lines and ‘Cuckooing’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State speech at Exporting Week 2018 - Bristol MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bristol car thief’s sentence ‘unduly lenient’ MoD News 0
D Is HMS Bristol still in commission? The Fleet 4
soleil Bristol Live: "Why One Of The World's Biggest Aircraft Carriers - HMS Prince Of Wales - Is Linked To Bristol" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Planned roadworks in Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, BANES, Wiltshire,... MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Fleet Auditor - Bristol/Gloucester - Up to £25,000 DOE + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Senior Avionics Engineer - Bristol The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob ** PERSONAL ASSISTANT NEEDED - BRISTOL - £100 per day ** The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Electrical Power Engineer - Bristol, Burton, Glasgow, Gloucester The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch LGV (Cat C) Driver - Bristol - £8.75 per hour The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS DEPUTY HAVEN MASTER (Shipping Operations) - Bristol The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Section Manager - Bristol Cash Centre The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Project Manager - Bristol The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob HIAB Driver Class 2 - Bristol The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK’s first A400M aircraft named “City of Bristol” MoD News 0
DemobJob Chauffeur - Bristol - £21,000 to £24,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Hoist Installer - Bristol - £16,380 - £24,180 basic Salary. OTE £30,000. The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Warranty Controller - Bristol - £18,500 per annum The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Logistic Support Assistant - Abbey Wood, Bristol The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob SC Cleared Repair Manager - Bristol - £300 per day The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Store Manager - Bristol/Wiltshire - £60k to £70k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Bristol Post: "You're Shore To Sea Benefits Being A Navy Reservist" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
Blackrat The Bristol Stool Chart Diamond Lil's 39
DemobJob Fire Alarm/Emergency Lighting Testers - Bristol, London Birmingham & Manchester The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Bristol Post: "Marine Denied Payout Over 'Wrong Injury'" The Corps 4
REDMIST RMR Bristol recruiting... The Corps 0
soleil Bristol Evening Post: "Typical students?" SCC and URNU 1
soleil Bristol Evening Post: "Pirate Hunter Who Steers Our Ships To Safety" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
J HMS Flying Fox - Bristol Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
soleil Bristol Evening Post: "Marines Reservist Steps Down After 40 Years" RMR 1
T Maritme Reserve Forces Golf Champs - Friday 27 Apr 12 - The Bristol Golf Club Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
T Maritme Reserve Forces Golf Champs - Friday 27 Apr 12 - The Bristol Golf Club Social & Reunions 1