Bristol 24-7: "Bristol Royal Naval Reservist Receives Iraq Medal"

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by soleil, Mar 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

2. Yes I do and a 4 ringer to boot! From what I saw when recenty visiting Flying Fox, the picture actually shows most of the current Ship's company in the background!

3. You obviously don't visit Fox very often then do you...if thats the best comment you can muster after a good bit of publicity for the RNR locally in Bristol, bit of a BZ for someone trying to do something worthwhile rather than shooting up and mugging the nearest old dear, and a 4 ringer that has made a huge contribution to the RNR then from my part I'm glad your recent visit went unnoticed!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Calm down... I know your blast was aimed at penrecon rather than me, but I for one was pleased to see both the publicity (I was a S/R at Fox from 1997 until 2002) and also Capt Wyatt who as you say has done a huge amount for the RNR both in the old 10MCM days and in moving from a reserve force of cold-war warriors to the RNR of today.

5. Part he played in the Iraq War, my arse.

Just another FPGRM muppet who wandered around the upper deck and never set foot on Iraqi soil. Makes a mockery of those of us who actually spent our tours on the ground.

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I Cant' - thats fairly harsh. Plenty of RN spent time in the TELIC JOA, and didnt set foot in Iraq. It doesnt make the regular or reserve contribution any less in my book. You can't chose where you are sent - you merely chose to serve.

(said as someone whos spent time on the ground in both TELIC and HERRICK!)

7. Well said PT.
    ICantfly, your post is not only a tad harsh, but quite offensive. A guy has put his life on hold, done what his Country has asked of him, and because the ship he was on spent a certain amount of time further north of a certain lattitude, a certain country has deemed it appropriate to award him a medal. Well done to him.
    There will always be some who "earn" medals more than others, but as niether you or I decide the qualifying conditions, how about we just zip lip when someone gets a reward and not post something offensive!
    (I too got a gong for being on the ground in Iraq, and I did not deserve it as much as the squaddies that went out on patrol every day, but I was awarded it, and thus I wear it, and if anyone wants to deride me for doing so, I'd be delighted to show them how accurate I am with both a 9mm and an SA80!)

8. Purple_twiglet

SR - knowing how accurate your shooting is, I'll be happy to deride you any day :p

9. You really need to be a little less sensitive! I was responding to the comment about eating pies. My comment about numbers was tongue in cheek in reality, but as someone who was there when the total ship's company was about 400 in fact the numbers today are relatively small as I think you'd have to admit. I simply didn't know that Mark Wyatt was a 4 ringer and commented accordingly - as I said maybe you should adjust the sensitivity control?

10. PT. You love to live dangerously! 100 yds, 55 exposures, you had better hope you were oneof the2 I missed. How's things matey. Central London a tad lively tonight! :)

11. I had the pleasure of spending my full deployment with Bedlam right from pre-deployment training through to demob and I have say he's one of the most decent human beings i've ever met. Competent, conciencious and an all round good egg. Questionable dancing technique but other than that he's spot on.

As for being deserving of the medal????

I don't think anyone would argue that those who were at the thick end in 2003 are more deserving of recieving the medal than most others since. Tom is every bit as deserving as any full timer on a 22 or 23 who finds themselves above the 28th parallel for the required amount of time. I've seen RN bods transfered from a 23 to the Cardi just to get sufficient days in to qualify for their medal. I got mine a few months ago and haven't bothered mounting it yet.

12. Don't let the CO find out or you could find yourself being trooped for being out of rig!

13. Not even sure he knows i have it. My presentation consisted of said medal being launched across the admin office with a cry of "I think this is yours, sign this".

14. TH
    if you'd satyed at Fox, that would never have happened!

15. Purple_twiglet

"if you'd satyed at Fox, that would never have happened! "

Absolutely - at Fox you'd have gripped it tightly in your 6 fingered palms while dreaming about how proud your sister would be of you, and whether this would increase your chances of getting lucky with her that night... :p

16. I've never actually been at Fox. I met the Bedlam for the first time on deployment and haven't seen the bearded waster since.

Apparently the beard works with the women???