Bringing Money to Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Helios, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering; how much should I bring to Raleigh and should I bring my debit card? Are there cash points in Raleigh? And finally, when do you get your first wages? After a month?

I'm still waiting for my pre-joining brief; will it tell me everything I need to know?

2. As far as I can tell from the RN webbie, you need to take £50 in hand after travelling expenses. If you join towards the 20th of the month, you should be on JPA for that months pay.

And go on the website and find out for yourself, its not bleeding hard.
  3. Looking at the kit list for HMS Raleigh they suggest you take a minimum of £50 - £22 of which is for your laundry and £4 for a haircut if required, The rest is just to tide you other until your first pay.

And i believe the bank which is at HMS Raleigh is TSB - I could stand corrected
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Take no cash with you. HMS Raleigh has it's own currency (known as 'Spondoolees': SP1=£1). And if you do take Sterling, the chavs you join up with will only rob it anyway...

5. Argh! Can you never escape them! :threaten: Atleast wont catch them with cheap bottles of Cider wandering about :w00t:
  6. Just bring enough to keep your instructors in beer on your passing out run!

7. Theres a Lloyds TSB bank complete with cash machine and everything, how great eh? Theres also an Abbey National cashpoint.

<£21-Trav exp
    £23-Stuff you'll need until cash comes in.

Personally I'd advise taking more, but just on your debit card. And for anyone needing a to open a bank account whilst there, its easy to open one at Lloyds, but if you want to open one with another bank, remember you can!
  8. Don`t they do their own dhobeying anymore? £22 for laundry, jeeeeeeez what sort of Navy is it now?
  9. Well they cant be expected to put everything in the washing machines. There are a lot of them on the course.
  10. As long as you have a current account with spends in it and a card for drawing the spends out, you can draw it out of the cash-point at Raleigh mate.

11. Nice to see You've Returned Credders! :thumright:

P.S Week 5 I believe is when you might spend more than the first weeks as i think that's when your aloud to the Naffi bar just don't go O.T.T
  12. I'm just going into week six of my basic training and most of us found that £50 is not enough. you don't need to take much cash but it's wise to have about £100 pounds in your account. There are cash points and a lloyds bank on base. In your second week you will be able to buy goods at the shop and like most of us there will be extras you feel you need especially if you smoke. you will get an dvance of £200 after week three.
  13. Thanks mate.

I actually never left.

Within 1 hour of posting that message about my leaving, about 5 different members of this site PM'd me to stay, so how could I leave?

14. I would advise not bringing too much cash, but make sure you have a debit / cash card with at least £100 in the account. That way you will be able tgo draw it out / spend it as required, without having too much cash lying around
  15. Take plenty of change, there are a few vending machines dotted around. The time between meals is so long, you'll need to buy extra. You can use your debit card in the NAAFI.
  16. Love the new avatar Snappy!
  17. Hee! He has pink wings!
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Huh? Breakfast (approx. 0630-0800), lunch (1200-1300) and dinner (1730-1900). Hardly long periods of starvation!! 8O :?
  19. I didn't say starvation. Some people need to eat a lot more than that, me for one. I lost a lot of weight at Raleigh just because the food was crap and there weren't enough opportunities to eat. I didn't have any weight to lose.
  20. Surely if you are really hungry, you will eat anything, and mealtimes have`nt changed or have they?Are you pay as you dine?