"Bring along a friend"

Just to be boring, I watched a very interesting documentary about Central Office of Information who actually make the adverts for the Army, Navy, TA, RNR etc

It showed how they are not allowed to show combat in any of the adverts or in anyway show someone with a gun and looking like they are enjoying handling it!

They are also behind some of the very memorable stranger danger adverts from the 70's like charlie and his cat!

http://www.coi.gov.uk/aboutcoi.php?cat=2#8

imom1406

War Hero
wompingwillow said:
Just to be boring, I watched a very interesting documentary about Central Office of Information who actually make the adverts for the Army, Navy, TA, RNR etc

It showed how they are not allowed to show combat in any of the adverts or in anyway show someone with a gun and looking like they are enjoying handling it!

They are also behind some of the very memorable stranger danger adverts from the 70's like charlie and his cat!

http://www.coi.gov.uk/aboutcoi.php?cat=2#8

We recently filmed a commercial for the NHS for Physiotherapy...basically it was a positive descrimination piece for more Afro Caribean Physios.....NHS is oversubscribed with WASP middle class well educated Physio's

But not enough of their Afro Caribean quota....so well qualified WASP Physios are passed over to acheive NHS targets on diversity!...Don't you just love the civil service!!!

Shakey

War Hero
wompingwillow said:

The Army one at the moment shows a squaddie cocking his SA80, but there's no forward assist. Poor drills.

I'm off to start another thread on adverts.

Prochnow

Midshipman
McHammock said:
Size of the TA >40,000 ?
Size of the RNR < 3,000

Guess where the majority of the advertising budget goes ?
That's why the TA can afford to advertise on TV

Agreed the TA have far more in numbers. However, even the Army adverts have a badge in the bottom corner of the screen advertising the TA so you can associate the TA with the Army. Even with the limited advertising the Navy do, surely it would be possible to put an RNR badge on the Navys adverts? Could this be a possibility for the future?

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
Prochnow said:
Does anyone know if the RAF reserves have similar recruiting issues? Their ‘footprint’ doesn’t cover the west side of England or Scotland and Wales isn’t represented at all.

I understand all 4 of the reserves are in exactly the same position. The only reason the TA looks in better shape is because they have always been the largest - but they're still undermanned.

I'm not so sure about the RAF reserves though because they're comparitively small so perhaps can be a bit more choosey as to who they recruit.

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
Well i'm not in the least surprised that we are struggling to recruit, if our locval AFCO is anything to go by. I was talking to someone in work today that applied to the local AFCO to join the rnr in january when she was 39, s she was informed that as she was 40 in june, she couldn't join because she would be too old at 40 by the time her paperwork was sorted!.

Now as far as i am aware, the ages for joining the RNR are 16-40 (45 for ex RN), and i assume that age 40 is inclusive. Now, while it may not be ideal to recruit someone of this age, while we are struggling for numbers we shouldn't be turning people away that could potentially give 15 years service. The lady in question isn't some lardy old bag that smokes 60 fags a day, she is a lot fitter than some people half her age.

I just wonder how many other people have been turned away for reasons such as this, or perhaps she called in during a stand easy/make and mend and they were too 'busy' deal with her properly. :roll: :wink:

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
Manny said:
So if someone is interested in the Reserve Forces, do we really think they are going to be willing to travel the longer distances (which is now capped and there is no longer a TE allowance to add insult)?

Ever heard the saying 'why have cotton when you can have silk?'
Thats why i joined the rnr, to be part of the senior service. Nothing else would do.

RNMA

MIA
This is going to sound sad on my part, but shows the probel that the RNR have. I myself didn't know there was such a thing till about a year ago when i starting to read more into the RN before i started the joining process. The truth being there really is never anything mentioned about the RNR in the general public. I've never seen a recruiting advert or heard in mention on the TV or read anything about it in Naional newspapers, from my point of few anyway.

dunkers

War Hero
mazza_magoo said:
Well i'm not in the least surprised that we are struggling to recruit, if our locval AFCO is anything to go by. I was talking to someone in work today that applied to the local AFCO to join the rnr in january when she was 39, s she was informed that as she was 40 in june, she couldn't join because she would be too old at 40 by the time her paperwork was sorted!.

Now as far as i am aware, the ages for joining the RNR are 16-40 (45 for ex RN), and i assume that age 40 is inclusive. Now, while it may not be ideal to recruit someone of this age, while we are struggling for numbers we shouldn't be turning people away that could potentially give 15 years service. The lady in question isn't some lardy old bag that smokes 60 fags a day, she is a lot fitter than some people half her age.

I just wonder how many other people have been turned away for reasons such as this, or perhaps she called in during a stand easy/make and mend and they were too 'busy' deal with her properly. :roll: :wink:

My unit recently recruited a 40 year old female. I agree with you that AFCOs are dreadful, generally speaking (they don't even open on Saturdays and they wonder why they get no recruits?). RNMA highlighted a very pertinent point about him not knowing about the RNR until in the process of joining the regular RN, which reflects very badly on the RNR's footprint among the general public. Even as a sea cadet I thought the RNR was just for ex-RN people until I discovered it was open to all, ages 16+.

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
The problems with AFCO, I've personnally highlighted this with COM'R' at a brain storming meeting at our unit. We both agreed AFCO does do a fairly good job for the RN but do absolutely nothing for the RNR, but why would they , they are RN and employed by the RN and do not have a vested interest in the RNR.
COM'R' agreed this and stated he would look into it , including looking at the possibility of a RNR person completing the AFCO training and fighting for our corner.
Each unit has been given more input/ responsibility into their recruiting and have a set budget for recruiting.
How many units actually publicise how much of this budget is spent, and what on exactly ! Our unit did ask for everyone in the ships company to come up with ideas, then the best ones where put to COMR face to face.. I'm personally still waiting to see what was taken onboard !

Latest Threads