Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

"Bring along a friend"

FlagWagger said:
jesse650 said:
ooooooh that's nasty.......even i know the GSSR don't stamp thier feet :D

Oh yes they do..... usually accompanied by a teddy being thrown :)

Funny - I thought this was a serious discussion about the lack of recruitment support. Obviously I was wrong. Trust a Comms SR to turn a discussion on recruitment into a dig against GSSR. :lol:
 
There is more fundemental issue.

The RNR has a tiny footprint, the TA has a vast footprint.

I live in the Thames Valley, my nearest RNR unit is 54 miles away. I have 8 TA units within 10 miles.

So if someone is interested in the Reserve Forces, do we really think they are going to be willing to travel the longer distances (which is now capped and there is no longer a TE allowance to add insult)?

I know that CMR does not like the idea of opening satellite units, unless we increase our visibility in the areas of the country that have high levels of population, I think the RNR will continue to decline.
 
Manny said:
There is more fundemental issue.

I live in the Thames Valley, my nearest RNR unit is 54 miles away. I have 8 TA units within 10 miles.

So if someone is interested in the Reserve Forces, do we really think they are going to be willing to travel the longer distances (which is now capped and there is no longer a TE allowance to add insult)?

I know that CMR does not like the idea of opening satellite units, unless we increase our visibility in the areas of the country that have high levels of population, I think the RNR will continue to decline.

Does anyone know if the RAF reserves have similar recruiting issues? Their ‘footprint’ doesn’t cover the west side of England or Scotland and Wales isn’t represented at all.
 
Can I bring my friend Youssuf...he says hes been working as a travel rep in an Afghanistan holiday camp for a couple of years..hes come back to Britain to settle down now...he's says the camp entertainer did lots of stuff with guns to keep the campers occupied so he is very interested in the GSSR branch..!!

Ive told him he'll have to tidy up his set but he seems to be okay with that and is very keen to get stuck in..... :twisted: :twisted:
 
Size of the TA >40,000 ?
Size of the RNR < 3,000

Guess where the majority of the advertising budget goes ?
That's why the TA can afford to advertise on TV
 
Just to be boring, I watched a very interesting documentary about Central Office of Information who actually make the adverts for the Army, Navy, TA, RNR etc

It showed how they are not allowed to show combat in any of the adverts or in anyway show someone with a gun and looking like they are enjoying handling it!

They are also behind some of the very memorable stranger danger adverts from the 70's like charlie and his cat!


http://www.coi.gov.uk/aboutcoi.php?cat=2#8
 
wompingwillow said:
Just to be boring, I watched a very interesting documentary about Central Office of Information who actually make the adverts for the Army, Navy, TA, RNR etc

It showed how they are not allowed to show combat in any of the adverts or in anyway show someone with a gun and looking like they are enjoying handling it!

They are also behind some of the very memorable stranger danger adverts from the 70's like charlie and his cat!


http://www.coi.gov.uk/aboutcoi.php?cat=2#8

We recently filmed a commercial for the NHS for Physiotherapy...basically it was a positive descrimination piece for more Afro Caribean Physios.....NHS is oversubscribed with WASP middle class well educated Physio's

But not enough of their Afro Caribean quota....so well qualified WASP Physios are passed over to acheive NHS targets on diversity!...Don't you just love the civil service!!!
 
wompingwillow said:
It showed how they are not allowed to show combat in any of the adverts or in anyway show someone with a gun and looking like they are enjoying handling it!

The Army one at the moment shows a squaddie cocking his SA80, but there's no forward assist. Poor drills.

I'm off to start another thread on adverts.
 
McHammock said:
Size of the TA >40,000 ?
Size of the RNR < 3,000

Guess where the majority of the advertising budget goes ?
That's why the TA can afford to advertise on TV

Agreed the TA have far more in numbers. However, even the Army adverts have a badge in the bottom corner of the screen advertising the TA so you can associate the TA with the Army. Even with the limited advertising the Navy do, surely it would be possible to put an RNR badge on the Navys adverts? Could this be a possibility for the future?
 
Prochnow said:
Does anyone know if the RAF reserves have similar recruiting issues? Their ‘footprint’ doesn’t cover the west side of England or Scotland and Wales isn’t represented at all.

I understand all 4 of the reserves are in exactly the same position. The only reason the TA looks in better shape is because they have always been the largest - but they're still undermanned.

I'm not so sure about the RAF reserves though because they're comparitively small so perhaps can be a bit more choosey as to who they recruit.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top