"Bring along a friend"

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
That old chestnut again eh! RNR recruiting on the cheap.

I very nearly jacked it in this year after 10 years, but one thing that stopped me was seeing the rats deserting a sinking ship. So i stayed and decided to start making a positive step towards helping recruit.

My employer has 4000 people and I'm trying to get them to help us out. Talk about pulling teeth. They don't want to be biased towards RNR and if they do a recruiting drive for us, want to include the other reserves in the dit. What do you think anyone whos interested is going to plump for. My money's on the TA.

Fact - Army invests HEAVILY in recruiting for the TA AND the Army Cadets. Yes guys, the ACF get better funding from the MoD than the RNR. Kinda makes you feel really wanted don't it :evil:

In fact, the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association, that is actively involved in publicity and recruiting is funded almost ENTIRELY by the Army. Guess who they concentrate on? Clue - they wear green and stamp their feet and don't like the sea!!

Sort of shows where the priorities, but beefing about it is like flogging a dead horse are. Recruit a friend is a nice, fluffy idea, but my mates and coleagues are too busy taking the p*** to want to join.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
I won't actively encourage my friends to join but I do enjoying looking at the envy in their faces when I tell them what I've been up to when I go away with our fleet.

Most of them are tree hugging, anti war, liberal war dodging b**ta*ds anyway.

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Why don't the high and mighty advertise within Government Departments, Civil Servants etc ........ they have the same employer !!!!
If staff knew they would be guaranteed a min of 8 days extra special leave, fully paid each year.....two pay slips for 2 weeks work!!, the odd jolly to warmer climes with the possibility of a bit of craic going ashore somewhere different with a few shipmates.....who could refuse !!!!
oh and the pride of being a member of an unique exclusive organisaton and a free uniform!!

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
FlagWagger said:
jesse650 said:
ooooooh that's nasty.......even i know the GSSR don't stamp thier feet :D

Oh yes they do..... usually accompanied by a teddy being thrown :)

Funny - I thought this was a serious discussion about the lack of recruitment support. Obviously I was wrong. Trust a Comms SR to turn a discussion on recruitment into a dig against GSSR. :lol:

Manny

Badgeman
There is more fundemental issue.

The RNR has a tiny footprint, the TA has a vast footprint.

I live in the Thames Valley, my nearest RNR unit is 54 miles away. I have 8 TA units within 10 miles.

So if someone is interested in the Reserve Forces, do we really think they are going to be willing to travel the longer distances (which is now capped and there is no longer a TE allowance to add insult)?

I know that CMR does not like the idea of opening satellite units, unless we increase our visibility in the areas of the country that have high levels of population, I think the RNR will continue to decline.

Prochnow

Midshipman
Manny said:
There is more fundemental issue.

I live in the Thames Valley, my nearest RNR unit is 54 miles away. I have 8 TA units within 10 miles.

So if someone is interested in the Reserve Forces, do we really think they are going to be willing to travel the longer distances (which is now capped and there is no longer a TE allowance to add insult)?

I know that CMR does not like the idea of opening satellite units, unless we increase our visibility in the areas of the country that have high levels of population, I think the RNR will continue to decline.

Does anyone know if the RAF reserves have similar recruiting issues? Their ‘footprint’ doesn’t cover the west side of England or Scotland and Wales isn’t represented at all.

WarMonger

War Hero
Can I bring my friend Youssuf...he says hes been working as a travel rep in an Afghanistan holiday camp for a couple of years..hes come back to Britain to settle down now...he's says the camp entertainer did lots of stuff with guns to keep the campers occupied so he is very interested in the GSSR branch..!!

Ive told him he'll have to tidy up his set but he seems to be okay with that and is very keen to get stuck in..... :twisted: :twisted:

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Size of the TA >40,000 ?
Size of the RNR < 3,000

Guess where the majority of the advertising budget goes ?
That's why the TA can afford to advertise on TV

Latest Threads