Bridges of Toko Ri

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Aug 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Truly ace film (and book). Filmed on board the Essex class USS Oriskany.
  2. MMmmmm sounds good and Grace Kelly is better looking than the real Nancy.

"Nancy, who broke every rule in the book to bring this fierce release to the man she loved............."

Oooo er.
  3. Seaweed

Heads up, 1700 Thursday 28th in Film 4, 'The Bridges of Toko-Ri'. The plotline being American has its cheesy moments but the flying and carrier ops 1950s style are good-oh.
  4. Agreed, was/is a very good film, remember watching it when it was released and seen it a couple of times since.
  5. Bloody hell no green flag from the FDO!!!!! Just two fingers :angel8::grin::usa2:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seaweed

Axial decks, real batting, hydraulic cats, barrier prang, what's not to like?

The last axial deck landing in the RN was carried out by a Sea Balliol landing on HMS Triumph in December 1955, when she was on her way home to pay off after her last cruise as Cadet Training Carrier. Cadets got a turn at Talker and Teller during Flying Stations and one 15 minute flip in one of her three Sea Balliols during their senior cruise.
  7. Indeed Seaweed, which now rests on the bottom of the sea off the Florida coast as a recreational dive ship.
  8. Seaweed

Oh dear. One of her battle honours was 'Korea' - she and her Seafires were sent up there from HK immediately the war broke out.

Meanwhile a survivor from that era - USS Iowa visiting Portsmouth in 1986.

USS Iowa0001.jpg

Real guns. Enough to make a Gunnery Jack come in his pants. Actually I did know a G so carried away by the joy of a shoot that he dropped his lighted cigarette into the pocket of his greatcoat and forgot about it, until it rather advertised its presence.
  9. I met a Gunners Mate 2nd class or something off the Missouri and **** me could he 'bore' for NATO. The only thing that kept me awake is I kept banging my head off the bar when I nodded off!!!!
  10. Seaweed

On again on Film4, 1640 Thursday 5th June.