Bridge Tolls

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by geoffg, Feb 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was sat in the Landrover yesterday and realised that I still have 2 or 3 pound coins for if I have to cross the Forth Bridge. Now they've scrapped the tolls I wonder how many others still carry toll money (just in case).
    Could put it towards dismantling the multi-million pound toll plaza that they've just built!!
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  2. OK I'll bite!

GR He said Bridge Tolls not Trolls :threaten: :dwarf:
  3. Wouldn't it be nice to have OUR own parliament in England?
    We might get to go over the Humber bridge without paying.
    Everyone else has got one, except us poor oppressed English people, can we have one please? Or would that be unfair?
    Demolish the Union and let the seperate countries stand on their own financial feet?
    Waiting for the bite, all ready to reel in....................
  4. You have your very own Prime Minister havn't you?? Oh, no, sorry!!
    Why would anyone want to cross the Humber Bridge for free. It doesn't go from anywhere to anywhere.
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  5. Whilst I don't agree with tolls, the bridges are built and run by private companies (probably under some government f*** up like Private Finance Initiative) so they need to re-coup their build and running costs.

If the private companies didn't build and run them, then the government would have to put up EVERYONES taxes to pay for them - I agree with the concept of charging the user for what they use, not everyone for what they might use.
  6. I'm with you there, let these scroungers who use the NHS all the time pay for their medical care themselves, and leave the likes of me, who rarely calls on the services of the NHS, to enjoy more of my pay.

While we're at it, how about charging me less council tax, as even though I pay twice as much as some, their rubbish bins are emptied as often.
  7. Only one bridge in Scotland was a PFI job the rest were government built and run by the local authorities on either side of the crossing, as a result much of the money raised from tolls was actually spent on guess what, collecting tolls. As far as my local bridge goes, not only was all the money paid back, it had also been a great job creation scheme for years.

If you think we should pay tolls to use bridges then you should pay tolls for the roads you drive on as well.