Brew or Wet

#1
In another thread a fellow Matelot mentioned having a Brew, I only know this as having a Wet.
Is there a subtle difference between having a Brew (presumably tea, coffee or hot chocolate)
and having a Wet (presumably Alcoholic)

I am also used to the following terms;
Going for a wet
Having a wet
Get the wets in
ect ect, you know where I’m coming from.

So purpose of this pointless debate….. Brew Or Wet? Is it split Booties, Matelots or Geographically North South?
 
#3
I understood that "Brew" was an Army and RM term for making tea (usually in all sorts of situations - under fire, on the march, hitting the beaches etc), and that "Wet" was a RN term for any liquid that can be legally and safely drunk. :drunken:
 
#4
Back in the glorious days of D/E (proper) boats, we always "wet" the tea, went ashore for a few "wets" where you were expected to "get the wets in". Never did hear the term "brew" unless it was the Irn variety, drunk by the lads from north of the border!
 

mixyblob

Lantern Swinger
#5
"Brew" is definitely a pongo term, currently working with the Royal Engineers and its all "brew". Myself and the resident booty are all about the "wet"
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#6
I was the person who made the 'brew' reference in the aforementioned thread (in the RM forum), and I specifically stated 'brew' as I was referring to a two-man team in the field, with one man keeping stag while his oppo made a 'brew', i.e. a hot cuppa tea/coffee/cocoa.

If I was referring to someone buying you a drink I would have said 'wet' (alcoholic) or 'goffa' (non-alcoholic).

As far as I know these are generic terms and not service-specific.

'Nuff said.
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#7
Isn't Goffa RN? I can remember this as the trade name of the stuff in a NAAFI soft drink dispenser aboard ship. A useful word also for a bucket of sea water down the neck of your oilskin - ahh but that was on an open bridge ..
 
#8
Oh dear. I think I'm going to struggle with all this RN/RM jargon as a new recruit (adult). I just cant see myself suddenly starting to use all the different types of words etc :|
(shall I just throw my hand in now)
 
#9
Goffa is just a soft fizzy wet or a freak wave.
A wet is any type of drink really, be it Tea or a Pint :)

A Brew is not a Naval term unless Royal uses it.
 
#10
I agree with the above. Over the years "a wet" was always a cold drink and "a hot wet" was always a tea or coffee. Now the standard term is " a wet".
Here's one for the newbies when asked how you like your wet:
NATO Standard = milk two sugars
Julie Andrew = White no sugar (white nun, get it? Sound of Music)
Whoopy Goldberg = Black no sugar (black nun)
 
#12
Heres a heads up incase anyone comes round to my house in the future...

Tea-

Rosie, or
Rosie Lee, or
Char, or
Charl, or
Charly, or
Cup of snot, or
Cuppa
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#14
Lamri said:
Goffa is just a soft fizzy wet or a freak wave.
A wet is any type of drink really, be it Tea or a Pint :)

A Brew is not a Naval term unless Royal uses it.
And he certainly does not, definitely a perc expression.

IMD
 
#15
Seaweed said:
Isn't Goffa RN? I can remember this as the trade name of the stuff in a NAAFI soft drink dispenser aboard ship. A useful word also for a bucket of sea water down the neck of your oilskin - ahh but that was on an open bridge ..

Goffa:- A soft drink
To 'have a Goffa' is to have a cold non alcoholic drink
Goffer:- A large wave that comes inboard
To 'be Gofferd' is to be caught and soaked by the large wave that comes inboard
 
#16
Lamri said:
Cup 'o' splosh, treacle? :)
(I hate that btw, makes me think of Mockneys :D )
FECKIN MOCKNEYS!!

Hey lamri mate, fancy going a few rounds with that twat Jamie "luva duck i'm a mockney" Oliver with me??
 
#18
nutty_bag said:
Lamri said:
Cup 'o' splosh, treacle? :)
(I hate that btw, makes me think of Mockneys :D )
FECKIN MOCKNEYS!!

Hey lamri mate, fancy going a few rounds with that twat Jamie "luva duck i'm a mockney" Oliver with me??

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

His parents were (are) proper posh "We're coknayes darnt yah nah" types!!
 
#19
Lamri said:
nutty_bag said:
Lamri said:
Cup 'o' splosh, treacle? :)
(I hate that btw, makes me think of Mockneys :D )
FECKIN MOCKNEYS!!

Hey lamri mate, fancy going a few rounds with that twat Jamie "luva duck i'm a mockney" Oliver with me??

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

His parents were (are) proper posh "We're coknayes darnt yah nah" types!!
Sarf london boy me mate so not technically one either but family as far back as we could go were from what is now known as "London village"

And whats this bollocks about battersea being known as south chelsea?? FFS
 
#20
I'm half and half mate, dad from Deptford mum from Clerkenwell born in Barts!

And Battersea will always be Battersea mate, used to go Canoeing on the Thames opposite Battersea Power Station, lovely warm (minging) river water :D
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brazenhussy Diamond Lil's 66
slim Diamond Lil's 8
fishmiester The Quarterdeck 14

Similar threads

Latest Threads