Bretonside to Pompey 10 bob.

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by trelawney126, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. image.jpg
    With a stop over at Bridport thrown in at no extra cost
  2. Ah, the Bridport cafe at stupid o'clock! No Kindles or boogie boxes in them thar days!
  3. There were more swap drafts organised in that café than anything Navy News could offer. Always remember Collingrad parade ground turning into a massive coach park on friday afternoons.
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that Drafty had shares in that café. What memories!
  5. Boogie...boxes... ?
  6. My trip was always Collingrad to Derby via notts did not do the bridport run until driving still silly of,clock
  7. Remember it well, used to pick it up outside the Home Club if my memory serves me well.
  8. Bite shield up.....

For our younger readers and Guzzler. Boogie boxes were the 80s RN terminology for a Walkman tape device for listening to music and while away the long hours.... of a coach journey or submarine patrol. I used to get lots of tins for supplying the batteries!

Bite shield to stow.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There used to be anything up to 30 coaches pulling into Bridport around 0300, that cafe must have been a gold mine at the time. You didn't need a ticket to get back, slip the driver five bob and you could sit on the floor. The memories of doing 80 along the then single carriageway A27 back in the 1960's still haunts me.
  10. Never did that run did pompey to portland a few times .Portland to leeds once(vowed i would never do again) and portsmouth to leeds a couple of times (that was crap also )prefered the train