Break after 10 week at Raleigh

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Good morning total newbie my son is doing his selection next week in Sunny Scotland providing he does ok he will start basic training on the 27th April!
he has selected to become a weapons engineer on the submarines specifically Astute class, I’m looking around to see if there is a programme available even past ones to view or a pointer to where I can go ?
i know it would all depend on him meeting the criteria many thanks:)
Welcome.

Have a go in one of the parents threads:

But, in short:
Ten weeks at HMS Raleigh followed by a longer period of time at HMS Collingwood

Edited for idiot selection of wrong establishment. Note to self: RTFQ

Last edited:

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Good morning total newbie my son is doing his selection next week in Sunny Scotland providing he does ok he will start basic training on the 27th April!
he has selected to become a weapons engineer on the submarines specifically Astute class, I’m looking around to see if there is a programme available even past ones to view or a pointer to where I can go ?
i know it would all depend on him meeting the criteria many thanks:)

There's information about the training/career pipeline for WESM Ratings here - http://web.apps.royalnavy.r.mil.uk/fpgo/BRd_0001_4999/BRd_0003/BRd_3_1/Chapter-75.pdf - on page 75-56

After Phase 1 at Raleigh it's 26 weeks at HMS Collingwood before starting Submarine Training.

If you're looking for TV programmes, there hasn't (as far as I know) been anything filmed on an Astute Class Boat, but there's a few knocking around on YouTube, probably the most recent being 'How to Command a Nuclear Submarine' that was filmed on HMS Triumph in 2011.