Bravery Medals to Submariners...........

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by themonkeyg0d, Jul 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Other than the various ones to the crew of the Conqueror, during the SA war.

In recent times have any other medals been awarded, such as Iraq, Afganistan, Kosovo or the like?

2. Cheers Bob, some interesting points & rants there lol.

It would appear that other than the likes of the MBE and such, there doesn`t appear to be anything along the lines of the MC or such.

I assume that if someone did something outstanding during a fire on board or something then, they`d get the QGM or the like? Other than that, unless I`m mistaken then there isn`t much scope to get the MC or that sort of award.

In modern day terms what would the guy who won the DSM (on Conqueror) in 1982 get these days, for the same act? I assume that the ever presents of the Argies, would have to be added to this, and given that we`re not fighting a naval war as such these days, the scopes not there any more?

3. I cannot give you much up to date info but certainly one of our young stokers was awarded the QGM by the Queen Mother following his actions throughout an incident on our SSBN patrol during the mid 1970's.

Cometh the hour - came the man, that day....

4. Another chap got the GM in the early 70's for an incident on an A boat, and I knew of an officer who got the QGM for tackling the fire on Warspite. The MBE (Military) has been awarded for bravery and leadership as well...

5. I believe that the award of the MBE for gallantry (with a slightly different ribbon) stopped some time ago.

There was an MiD awarded to a submariner (not on Conx) who did not qualify for the rosette on the SAM.

6. maybe someone did who was on HMS Tireless in 2007

7. Unless you're on land (and even then it's debatable), there is virtually no scope to get the MC, as it is not normally awarded to the RN. You could however win its naval equivalent, i.e. the DSC, but you would probably have to sink something as they tend not t draw attention to the sneaky stuff by awarding medals.

Plenty of scope for the VC, cf Tomkinson, Cameron, Wanklyn and Levant, but then you probably need to be the CO, and it helps if you die doing it.

8. although Max Horton managed the VC and he survived - so just set your sights on fighting someone in a hot submarine war (which, these days, you might have to also start just to be on the safe side) and you won't go far wrong.

Of course, there are some who would say that tin hunters ae a danger to themselves and everyone else....

9. My bold. No, he didn't... DSO and Bar though.
    As for MBE's not being given for bravery these days, I beg to differ... Not a submariner, but a schoolfriend of mine, and son of a CPO, WO2 (CSM) D Norman, PWRR got one for the siege at Cimic House, Al Amarah, 2004.

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just for the sake of accuracy he had two bars to his DSO

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

12. He may have been awarded the MBE following an act of gallantry, but this differs from the award of MBE for gallantry, which I believe has a slightly different ribbon, and is worn with silver oak leaves. This award dates from WWII to the mid 70s.

13. Fair enough, but that citation isn't one of those MBE's doled out for being a school dinner lady. Definitely a deserved medal. Ok, "gallantry" isn't mentioned, but "courage" is.

14. I don't think anyone is suggesting that your oppo's medal wasn't deserved, it's just that I am a pedantic twat, and that there was a specific award of 'MBE for gallantry' which is no longer made.

Jimbo, I thought the centre stripe on the MBE for gallantry was wider than that of the normal MBE. Your pic seems to disagree with my recollection.

15. Sorry if I seemed stormy about your comments, I'm a pedant as well, with the added wonder of sulking when wrong...

(Incidentally Joe, are you near "Hasler" or "Haslar"? Pedantry ROCKS!)

edited for truly crap spelling. It's ok though, mummy says I'm "speshul".

16. Thats VERY interesting, any details of the circs & boat?

17. I should coco. Its mad I`d never even heard of this, so I did a little surfing, and for those in the same boat (pardon the pun)...

March 2007 explosion
    On 21 March 2007, two Tireless crew members, Leading Operator Mechanic Paul McCann and Operator Maintainer (Weapons Submariner) 2 Anthony Huntrod, were killed in an explosion onboard, apparently caused by an oxygen generator candle in the forward section of the submarine. The submarine was in service near the North Pole under ICEX07 along with the USS Alexandria (SSN-757) and had to make an emergency surface through the ice cap. A third crewmember who suffered "non life-threatening" injuries was airlifted to a military hospital at Elmendorf Air Force Base near Anchorage, Alaska and was expected to make a full recovery. According to the Royal Navy, the accident did not affect the ship's nuclear reactor, and the ship sustained only superficial damage. Part of the exercise was being used to measure ice thickness by using sonar.[4][5] The film Stargate: Continuum—which was filming on the ice and in the Alexandria during the exercise—was dedicated to McCann and Huntrod.

18. Commander Thomas Maitland le Marchand, Royal Navy.

19. I believe he was CO of HMS/M Valiant in the South Atlantic so why would he not qualifiy for a rosette on his SAM?