Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by angrydoc, Oct 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good for her I wish more people would say it how it is.
  2. Hmmm, disciplinary action "unlikley"? Still means that it "may" (my quotes) still happen.
    It makes me wonder what the reaction would have been if a rating had gobbed off.
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Devil's advocate 1, her question; she asked if she could make a statement.

Devils advocate 2, she's referring to a period in time, not how Broon spread his wisdom around when he visited the IISS.

That there is surprise/outrage that in a forum such as the IISS, officers critique the Grand and Military Strategic level of warfare (that's what is being suggested) demonstrates a bone-headedness at a hitherto unreached level.

She didn't say, unless there is more, that Broon is ill equipped to lead a country whether at war or not. She was talking to the general, not the media. Its wider currency is no different from the a newshound recording the rants against Broon and co that go on in the Ship Anson. AB Bloggs tells 3D mess that since talking to the CO, he's more confident in the chain of command than he was when SoS visited last week. That the media scurried away rat like to sensationalise the exchange is worthy of the outrage bus being warmed up, not what she said.
  4. about time someone spoke up she has more b*lls than most officers i served with
  5. Seadog

seenoffteefcuk wrote
    Further to my last, given the forum (IISC) and the ambiguity in her 'question', she isn't speaking out as you suggest, at all. The officer is neither saint nor sinner.
  6. Yes she did speak up.
    she gave her opinion.
    this is more than most officers do.
    just because she didnt say it directly to the press does not mean she didnt speak up.
  7. Seadog

seenofteefccuk, did you watch the Q&A and make up your mind or did you just latch on to the spin the press put on the officer's comments. The media removed context and a line of questioning before the general's reply.

My italics. Thank you for revealing your position. You were quite happy to have moral cowards dive a boat and run a reactor with you on board.
  8. It's the military’s job to do as our government dictates regardless of their personal views.
  9. Doesn't mean they can't voice their views.
  10. Of course they can if they wish to resign first. IMO the problem with serving officers gobbing off in public is that their actions could well undermine moral within the ranks.
  11. There are a number of fora where serving personnel can voice their opinions, publicaly and privately. IISS is one with a fairly healthy track record of allowing it.

One can quite reasonably disagree with the actions that our political masters wish us to carry out, to the extent of refusing to carry out an order that is clearly illegal. Of course there are going to be issues around interpretation there, what is illegal and what is not.

If one objects strongly enough to a legal order then one may subsequently resign, although the order should be carried out.

The questions asked is perfectly reasonable, and in terms of IISS debate fairly mild.

Or even perhaps morale!

Personally I have more respect for those that I work with than to assume that they can't recognise that officers participating in debate about our strategic direction are not seeking to undermine morale. Perhaps that's a reflection of the type of people we have in the service. Thinking for oneself is positively encouraged.
  12. Karma, It is comforting to know that the spelling monitors are ever vigilant, let us hope that you never fall foul of him/her. :)
  13. Seadog

Spelling has degrees of importance. When an error changes the word and meaning alarm bells ring. Do you want your medicine to effect a cure, or affect a cure?

Or maybe you did mean moral(s).
  14. Haven’t you two got something more constructive to be getting on with? :)
  15. Sir, what could be a worthier and fuller use of time than to raise the median of human consiciousness by educating your own finking nottle on the importance of clear and accurate communication? :)
  16. Or do you both just mean more ale ?? :roll:
  17. Are you related to the other two or is it just that a bandwagon was passing and you thought you would hop onboard? :)

I will also remind those who like to drop in cautions about posts going off topic to get their own house in order first.
  18. Seadog

A timely reminder finknottle, thank you. Back on topic. Someone asked what would happen if a rating gobbed off.

Staff Sergeant Kim Hughes

S/Sgt Hughes is putting the boot into the Government by supporting CGS.

Stand by.