Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass Bands

Brass Bands are serious stuff round Saddleworth. I used to go out with a girl who's Dad was in the Mossley Prize Band. What a lucky escape that was!

My Dad's Grandad was in Cheadle Brass Band (as was). He used to get dragged off to Band competitions; usually at Bell Vue. I think listening to the same test pice played 20 odd times had a profound influence on him!

They do sound good, though; I think.

alanbach

Lantern Swinger
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Brass Bands are serious stuff round Saddleworth. I used to go out with a girl who's Dad was in the Mossley Prize Band. What a lucky escape that was!

My Dad's Grandad was in Cheadle Brass Band (as was). He used to get dragged off to Band competitions; usually at Bell Vue. I think listening to the same test pice played 20 odd times had a profound influence on him!

They do sound good, though; I think.
You've got another fan here too...been playing in brass bands before (1954) and after I left the mob (1963) ....here are a couple of websites that may be of interest to you http://www.4barsrest.com/default.asp http://www.themouthpiece.com/ :lol:

dondon

MIA
Loved the film"Brassed Off" , Pete Posselthwaite played the Band leader leading a Miners band during the mining troubles in the early 80s , brilliant film , good laugh & very sad at the same time , ended up winning in the Albert Hall , well worth a watch , :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Top brass with hands in the till? Current Affairs 5
S One hundred top brass get marching orders in new defence cuts to save £4million a yea Current Affairs 116
soleil Pompey News: "Navy’s Top Brass Bid A Fond Farewell To Dedicated Secretary" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
trelawney126 Proposed Reduction Top Brass Current Affairs 8
soleil Mail: "Shop At Ikea And Cut Back On Your Cleaners, MoD Orders Top Brass" Current Affairs 2
soleil Mail: "Top Military Brass 'Use Helicopters Like Taxis'" Current Affairs 20
NotmeChief Royal Navy morale is 'brittle', admits service top brass. Current Affairs 3
Drakey Royal Navy morale is 'brittle', admits service top brass Current Affairs 14
Guns Brass Hat promotion The Quarterdeck 13
Blackrat Picking Up the Brass/Map of Africa by Eddy Nugent The Book Club 1
Leatherland_NJ Brass Eye Gay Navy Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Mail: 7% Deal On Defence Cuts As Top Brass Threaten To Quit Current Affairs 5
soleil News Of The World: "Chop Brass" Current Affairs 21
finknottle The brass neck of it all. Current Affairs 55
lukep Brass Eyes ''Gay Navy'' Diamond Lil's 6
Chaz Brass Eye, Gay Navy! Diamond Lil's 0
S BRASS EYE! Diamond Lil's 8
D Picking Up The Brass - on sale now! The Book Club 6
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
soleil The Massed Bands of HM's Royal Marines Beating Retreat - 30/31 May 2018 The Corps 0
soleil Pompey News: "We’re On A Roll! Bands Of Royal Marines Hope To Clinch New Record" The Corps 1
S What's the crack with the pay bands? The Corps 9
ToonPatriot Pay bands Finance & Pensions 17
soleil Telegraph: "Defence Chiefs Cut Bonus Payments To Military Bands" The Corps 6
soleil T'graph/Letters: Don't Sacrifice RN For Army's Horses/Bands Current Affairs 14
C Pay Bands Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
S RM Massed Bands circa 1950 History 4
G Why do good bands turn shite? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 13
soleil Navy News: "Marines Bands gear up for Summer Spectacular" The Corps 0
trelawney126 Shag Bands the Latest Fad Diamond Lil's 6
brazenhussy Top 5 Bands ................... Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
BusterQuin RN Volunteer Bands History 13