branch Transfer from GS to Subs... whats the process?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by shane88, Mar 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently serving in the mine warfare hoping to transfer to subs, was wondering what the process is and what are the chances of being successful ?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you meet the medical standards & scored high enough for your chosen branch, I'd have thought the odds are very much in your favour.

The process is simply speak to your DO if currently serving. Your source branch manager will liaise through CNR to confirm your availability dates and identify a phase two SM course for you to join to complete the relevant branch training, Submarine Dry, Submarine Wet, bosh, kissing kippers & a glass of rum. Sorted.

If yet to join, speak to your careers adviser to change your branch of preference prior to joining. Sorted.
  3. I've only just passed phase 2 mine warfare course June last year and only just been given my first ship, so I'm not sure weather or not the process may differ because i haven't yet got my ab'1's up or if they'll just turn a blind eye to my request to transfer
  4. have you been on a submarine and will you like living in faslane?
  5. Been on one yes.. And I'm currently based in faslane now
  6. then chase the dollar!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It may well be your branch manager insists you complete your SITP & return of service prior to transfer, but certainly no harm in asking. We're gagging for submarine volunteers.
  8. Yeh that's why I want to get the ball rolling as soon as really,
    If you volunteer for submarine service does that mean eventually you'll be asked to go back to general service? Or can you stay as a submariner for the rest of your career?
  9. if you go submariner, you will stay submariner (should you wish)
    never ever let anyone tell you it is impossible. As stated above, there is a shortage of submariners and as long as you are medically fit enough, then keep pushing for it and all that.

at the end of the day, it is your career. If you want it, research it and dont let anyone tell you never (albeit , using the divisional system in the right way etc)
  10. I'll be meeting my new DO in the next upcoming months so hopefully after a chat the ball will be rolling and ill be in training as a submariner in the near future,

There's just some part of the command chain that can be quite stubborn when it comes to members of there ships company asking for a branch transfer, hopefully it will all run smoothly and they'll be no issues like you said it is my career at the end of the day
  11. Ninja_Stoker

As a matter of interest, there is a significant drive toward recruiting submariners, to the extent those in the recruiting pipeline will at one or several points, get a dedicated brief from the submarine recruiting team.

Applicants in the process of joining, even those choosing non-transferable/equivalent jobs such as those joining the Fleet Air Arm & the Royal Marines can expect a half hour or more brief on the submarine service after they sit the recruit test, whilst they await the outcome of the test. Those attending PRNC in Scotland are quite likely to visit a submarine rather than ship and also get a second brief about the 'silent service' & the financial incentives. Finally, those in initial Naval training in Raleigh will invariably get another visit/brief about the submarine service. At each carefully choreographed stage, individuals have the chance to transfer to the submarine service.

My question - Why did you decide on becoming a submariner & why now? What influenced your decision?
  12. You better have some decent answers as to why you want to be a submariner and not a muppet. I'll be honest, I wouldn't necessarily support a branch tx for someone who has yet to complete at least 1 draft in their original branch.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. The more time I've spent at faslane being around submariners on a daily basis the more its influenced me and made me more interested in the work they do, my current branch has no prospects for me as I only applied to become minewarfare because it had the shortest waiting list, I want to become a WE and earn my dolphins and set a foundation for my future and being a submariner would secure that, minewarfare wouldn't
  14. if he ticks all the boxes IAW BR3. surely your own feelings would be irrelevant?
    And as a 'hypothetical DO', surely you would support him if said request come by your desk?

BR3 actually states that transfers into the SM world are looked upon 'more favourably' with regards to ratings under their initial training.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. You must be a GREAT DO to have............
  16. Ninja_Stoker

I doubt it did have the shortest wait at the point you applied, if you've only just finished WS(MW) training. ET(WE), ET(WESM), ET(WE) CIS would've been at least comparable, if not quicker to join.

Possibly the choices available were limited due to the recruit test score achieved at the time? Choosing a branch based on the wait rather than the job is usually a bit of a disaster.

Either way, I'd strongly advise you talk to ET(WESM)s at AB/LH level serving on Bombers to get an overall balanced view - they are the branch with the biggest manning shortfall. Find out why. See if it still appeals, knowing the perceived disadvantages.

As a recruiter, my job is to recruit to retain. Those joining as fast as they can are usually those who leave as fast as they can...and blame everyone else for their duff decisions.

I fully agree with Alf on this.

Good luck - enjoy your career.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Get a GS trip in so you have some experience of GS. Won't do any harm to show interest in boats from the off but you don't want someone think your a tad impetuous. Good luck. :cool:
  18. I've already spent 4 years general service.. I'm a re entrant, only rejoined again January last year, wasnt allowed to transfer during phase 2 so that's why I'm showing an interest now, I've got a trip coming up soon.
  19. Ninja, toys, throw, pram.
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Having served four years previously, left, rejoined in a branch with a short wait, tried to transfer during phase two training begs the question why the flying f*** you didn't think to join the submarine service from the outset, second time around.

What branch were you first time & why did you leave?
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1