Branch transfer for medical reasons?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gerrysurfs, Jan 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

To cut a long story short, I've had a very long standing leg injury, had operations etc but everything's failed to work. I've been on a cocktail of meds for ages and have finally found some that work and control my pain. I'm due to go to board later this year and have been recommended P8. As part of the process I'm seeing Occupational health in a week or so to see what they recommend. As I can now keep my pain under control, I'm trying to explore different avenues that may help me keep my job. I'm currently an LETWE(SM) and for medication reasons, it's impractical for me to constantly work 6 on 6 off and I don't want to go bombers! I may not be able to go surface either, as the pitch and role onboard could potentially exacerbate my injuries. To that end, I'm trying to explore any avenues/branches that I may be able to transfer to that will mean minimum sea time. I know that may sound like a bit of a cop out, but I'm just trying to do anything that will help me keep a career. If I am retained it'll be P3 with caveats so unless I'm wrong, branches like MA and naval airman would be out of reach. Any advice on trades/honest experiences would be really really appreciated. I'm hoping I can come up with a workable solution, although I may be deluding myself!!

Thanks for reading

2. I know an AE who can't go to sea (cue obvious jokes) but is still in the hunt for promotion - that might worth exploring. Perhaps certain bits of CT as well?

It'll depend so much on what limits they assign you.

3. Cheers Alfred, I did think about CT but don't know a great deal about it. Doesnt hurt to look into it further though. AET appeals too as it means I can stay in engineering.

Thanks for your help

4. To be honest would the AET career managers want to take on somebody they can't deploy? It seems a bit like passing the buck?

Good luck whatever you decide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cheers guys. I think you're right Joint force, I'm probably being too optimistic and trying to convince myself they'll keep me in, but it's worth a shot I guess if it keeps me in the mob

6. CTs have to be fully deployable for all environments. Obviously there are a few downgraded, temporarily, but I know of a few who've been discharged as they were unfit to go to sea. Doubt you'd be accepted by the branch with those restrictions. We spend a lot of time deployed above and below the waves. And ashore with the Bootnecks and Army.

7. Thanks for the info bud. Knew it'd be a long shot anyway

8. AET is a good bet mate, I'me poaet and been on a ship for 6 months after 14 years! still accrued 1400 sea days due to land deployments tho (mainly (not the nice) hot and sandy areas but a few decent deployments too). would you be fit to climb/work on aircraft? quite a few AE branches are retained with caveats to the ying yang. if you want you can PM me your email address; i'll touch base with one of the career managers and you can discus possible options with him?

9. Thanks for the advice Geordie. Saw Occupational health last week and they are recommending to the board that I be made P8 :/

Having said that, I'm waiting for an appointment for the pain clinic at the local hospital, so if they can get my pain under control, there may be a slim chance they change their recommendation. As it stands, I've got no chance of a branch transfer.

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice so far

10. Mate how long have you been waiting for Mws board from referal? I have been recommended p8 from headley court and unit pmo but haven't as yet have not been given a formal referal to Mbos. I've got chronic nerve damage to both legs that started in 2007 and has deteriorated (although it was late diagnosed- 2014, told it was shin splints before that until got so bad I was refered to headley court last year). I want to stay in but don't think they will keep me as its age degenerative. I also don't want to wait another 18 months to hear my fate!!

11. The bad news Geordie is its a horrendous wait for board at the minute! I was referred again in December last year and I've got a board date of October this year.

Sounds like you've got something similar to me. Was told I had shin splints for years. They eventually diagnosed compartment syndrome and operated twice but the damage was already done. I believe that if you've been downgraded for a 12 month period within the last 3 years that you can request to go to board. If your PMO has recommend board and subsequent discharge, then you should hear soon.

Good luck

12. I got through MBOS a few weeks ago and was due to find out yesterday the employability board outcome, it has been delayed until 27th May for welfare reasons - my son has recently been diagnosed with learning difficulties and I have been on half days since Nov through no fault of my own, the welfare issue is nothing to do with why I went to MBOS - can they still discharge me based on what is going on with my son??

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not qualified to advise in this area but I cannot imagine the service would retain a medically non-employable individual indefinitely on compassionate grounds.

It sounds like the compassionate issue has been taken into consideration to enable stability & normality to be established for your son, but I would be surprised if employment would realistically continue to be extended beyond a reasonable timescale.

14. Do you think they are going to discharge me? I am medically employable, the board recommended I am retained and reviewed again in 12 months

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd hate to second guess the employability board to be honest - they are about as predictable as an AIB result.

If you can be employed, then the Navy tend to try where possible to retain as, to put it bluntly, it otherwise costs them more to train a replacement and pay you a medical pension if the condition is service-attributed.

Either way, fingers-crossed, let's hope the outcome is as you would wish.

16. Thank you