Branch/Career Advice

Hello all.

I have been spending the last 6 months getting myself fit. I am now at a good standard with my running times looking all good etc. I am thinking of applying soon but I am unsure what to go for. It has always been my goal to join the navy and I am excited at the prospect of doing so.

A little background: for my GCSEs I got 3As 4Bs 2Cs and a D. After completing my GCSEs I decided I would seek an appreciatiship. I have always had a passion and enjoyment for cooking, so I decided I would become a Chef. I have been working as a Chef for two and a half years now, working at a fine dining fish restaurant, and have completed two NVQ Level 2 qualifications (Food Production and Professional Cookery). I have worked on starter (hot and cold), meat, fish and pastry sections. The restaurant has a bakery attached also, so I have experience in that aswell. (I am used to 4am starts ).

I have two ideas in mind for my future in the Navy. I would either go for chefing or engineering (also another subject I enjoy).

I was wondering what the most enjoyable and fulfilling choice would be and what you guys would recommend.

Thanks, I would really appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
@Shartigan both would give you transferrable skill for end of service life, how much do you enjoy your cooking, Naval cooking may be a bit different @dapperdunn may know. Engineering is a very fulfilling role if that's your thing, I did 24 yes as a weapons engineer, now heading for 60yrs I am still doing similar work.
You have to try and choose what you will want to do the most, that way you will get the most out of the RN, besides what we advise, go and speak to your local AFCO ( recruiter) don't hang about the wait to get in can be long, unless you want Submarine Chef. Good luck.

I will take the moral high ground and ignore your baseless accusations in order to keep my morale intact.
Be a Chef. That way you also get to fly helicopters :) The chicks love it. :cool:

I will take the moral high ground and ignore your baseless accusations in order to keep my morale intact.
Be a Chef. That way you also get to fly helicopters :) The chicks love it. :cool:
what @dapperdunn is saying as a skimmer chef, you will get time to play with your remote control toys, as a Submarine Chef you will get the chance to drive a Submarine. This would also apply to a submarine weapons engineer, in your earlier years.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Chef is a shortage category branch with a very short selection process to entry.

Chefs get no less time off than anybody else. It is a hardworking, but rewarding occupation as you are already aware. As stated above, there's a taxable £5k bounty after training and another £5k available if you complete submariner training.