Braces

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by np3, Dec 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. np3

np3 Midshipman

Hi,

I have fixed orthodontic braces at the moment and I'm not sure yet when I'll be getting them taken off.

I went into my local AFCO a couple of weeks ago and I was told I could start my application now and do the RT and interview, but I would be on hold after this, which is fine. But I was wondering if there's a specific reason why I can't then also do the PJFT? I understand why I couldn't pass the medical but I'm not really sure why having fixed braces would stop me from doing the run?

Thanks.

2. Simply because you do the run after your medical, until you pass the medical stage you can't move on to the PJFT regardless of how able bodied you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It does seem odd, particularly as there's a health check prior to the PJFT but a PJFT pass triggers the allocation of an entry date. Once you join the RN, we take over healthcare. We don't employ orthodontists and you cannot be spared from training to travel home for treatment.

For that reason, if you cannot be fully passed fit to enter, you cannot complete selection.

4. np3

np3 Midshipman

Thanks for the replies :)

For some reason I was thinking it was PJFT before medical, but I stand corrected!

I guess I'll just get the first RT/interview done and hope I won't have the braces on for too much longer.