BR3 Online - New RN website

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Green_and_Blue, Jun 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following the re-structure of the RN website they seem to have removed BR3 from the public forum.

It was originally on the reference section of the website, then following the new layout only accessible through Google.

Dose any one know if it is going to be built back into the new site? Or if an up to date copy is accessible else where?
  2. A good move if you ask me. I have no idea why they put it there in the first place.
  3. Was a useful reference for those of us who don't have easy access to it.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It always puzzled me why it was put in the public domain to be honest.

I'm all for being open, honest and transparent but for those not in the service, wishing to join but ineligible, it offered every opportunity to fraudulently gain entry.

The irony is that now it's offline, the original pass/fail selection interview elements are no longer asked. In the new interview format, formal critical issues such as drugs, family circumstances, finance, education & employment are no longer relevant. Nowadays a potential divisional nightmare that's an habitual recreational drugs user, who never went to school, has never worked due to disabled & dependant parents, has financial responsibility for several kids, from which he has never been living apart from, is deemed entirely suitable. Raleigh, or a frontline unit deal with the potential consequences.

My guess is BR3 is due a significant re-write, even though bits'n'bobs are updated every two or three months. The funny thing about it is the decision to put it online originally was seriously flawed, the decision to take it offline, of no relevant consequence. Horses and stable doors spring to mind.
  5. I don't deny that perhaps it was an odd call to make public. But from an RNR point of view, especially in the early days of your career/ pre recruitment. It was the only authoritative document that provided information about what to expect. From promotion expectations to uniform issue. From training obligations to callout liability.

Although the RNR accounts for one person in eleven of the total naval strength, the recruitment pipeline still seam to have very little idea what is actually involved, and so struggle to answer questions.

A good solution for people at the start of their career would be to follow the Army Reserve example producing booklets for recruits which detail how you can expect your career to develop in the next 10 years. What are the likely roles you will play at each level. The current "RNR Your career guide" gives just 1 short paragraph to each trade, but 2 pages to sports"

There was also the advantages for a young DO who when (s)he receives an email from AB Blogs can quickly reference the relevant information rather than have to wait a week until (s)he can access a DII terminal or hard copy.

In summary it isn't the best answer but it was the best answer available. It was an easy reference and authoritative document that was more accurate than "I was told in the Wardroom..."

It isn't restricted and has advantages to being in the public domain.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be surprised if a DO in the RNR didn't have a Dii account and access to BR3 on the Intranet to be honest.
  7. The account's not the problem, it's the terminal to use it on that's trickier.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Obviously different units have different routines & equipment. My local RNR unit has about a dozen Dii terminals with a further half dozen in a dedicated Dii suite.

99.9% of the time they aren't in use but they are in high demand during the weekly two-hour drill night. It would be a bit pointless providing Dii terminals on an individual basis for the weekly two hours high useage, but would take ten to 15 minutes to print-off a hard copy of BR3.

Then again we can always adopt a "can't do attitude".
  9. It might take a little more than ten minutes to print off some ninety individual chapters (there's no "print all" function), and the document itself warns that there are no official hard copies. "This Naval Book of Reference (BR) exists in electronic form only. The complete hardcopy publication is very large. Any printed extracts may become invalid after they are printed." Okay, it doesn't update that often, and you could certainly prioritise some chapters over others, but we're still talking quite a lot of dead tree to print, sort and discard. (It's also set up for electronic navigation, which is fine if you're reading it on DII but less helpful when perusing printed pages). Local hard copy does seem to rather defeat the intention of electronic libraries...A sensible option would be to burn a copy to CD-ROM or a memory stick - except that a "can-do" attitude like that grinds head-on into security regulations and locked-down DII functions.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Fair one. Too difficult then.
  11. Or as it is not restricted you could put it back online ;-)
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Entirely agree.

There's no longer any logical reason for it not to be in the public domain. That's probably why it isn't.

Makes sense. Dunnit? Sniff *wipes nose with back of sleeve* ;-)
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Online RN Reference Library: link.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it went back online in November. Some browsers can't format it properly but it's best using IE and Adobe XI.
  15. And you have to use Acrobat or the reader to open it in your browser (I like pdf files to open in the application itself and that only opens the cover page).
    • Like Like x 1