Boys sentenced over Goth murder

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Karma, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this yesterday and was surprised nobody had picked up on it.

Two teenage boys have been jailed for life for the murder of a woman who was killed for dressing as a Goth.

Sophie Lancaster was kicked and stamped to death by Brendan Harris, 15, and Ryan Herbert, 16, in Stubbylee Park in Bacup, Lancashire, last summer.

2. I think it's absolutely terrible - looking at the pictures of her she looked like a nice girl. Why do people think that they have the right to hurt someone because of the way they dress??

Apart from that though, no one should ever have to be beaten/kicked to death, it must have been horrific for her.

3. I have some very goth friends, and they all went mental when they heard about this a good few weeks ago.

Scum, the pair.

4. Apparently, instead of running away, she stayed trying to defend her boyfriend.

RIP little Goth Angel.

Jerry

5. Such a shame that we no longer have the death penalty. These scum need removing from the gene pool

6. she was brave to stay and defend her B/F
    Its sad yet true that those who do not conform to the so called "norm" will always be made to feel less than worthy.

7. I have been really upset by this murder and the GBH to the boyfriend.I will not even mention the scum bags who did this.
    There are a lot of "Goths" in the North East and even a "Goth" pub in Newcastle next to where Gunner House used to be (RN recruitment Office)
    What is the connection to "Goths" and the way they dress. I am an old, just curious old fart.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Any death - regardless of gender, age, religion, personal persuasion - is tragic. The fact that this young girl was singled out by narrow-minded philistines because of her appearance makes the incident even more sad. :cry:

But Josie: I appreciate the Gothic lifestyle emcompasses all to those who live their lives in this way, including their music, their clothing, their emotions, etc... but that's it. So what the feck does "the Goth inside me weeps"? What about the human inside you? And what about "passing on her Goth" mean? It's a lifestyle. A trend. It's not Buddhism. It is not an ordained higher path - it is something teenagers do to rebel against the norm, non-conforming in the one of the most conforming ways possible. Nothing wrong with that - show me a 17-year old Goth and I will accept their choice of lifestyle. But show me two 17-year old Goths, and I say "Baaa!"

:?

9. For costume parties I usually do the Goth thing, I still have my full-length leather coat and stuff from when I was 15 and it's nice to dress like that for a change sometimes. For all these kids knew, Sophie could have been doing the same thing.

Makes me scared to walk home at night.

10. The death penalty is too good for them.

11. [edit] Origins of the term
    The original Goths were an Eastern Germanic tribe who played an important role in the fall of the western Roman Empire. In some circles, the name "goth" later became pejorative: synonymous with "barbarian" and the uncultured due to the then-contemporary view of the fall of Rome and depictions of the pagan Gothic tribes during and after the process of Christianization of Europe. During the Renaissance period in Europe, medieval architecture was retroactively labeled gothic architecture, and was considered unfashionable in contrast to the then-modern lines of classical architecture.

In the United Kingdom, by the late 1700s, however, nostalgia for the medieval period led people to become fascinated with medieval gothic ruins. This fascination was often combined with an interest in medieval romances, Roman Catholic religion and the supernatural. Enthusiasts for gothic revival architecture in the United Kingdom were led by Horace Walpole, and were sometimes nicknamed "goths", the first positive use of the term in the modern period.[citation needed]

The gothic novel of the late eighteenth century, a genre founded by Horace Walpole with the 1764 publication of The Castle of Otranto, was accountable for the more modern connotations of the term gothic. He originally claimed that the book was a real medieval romance he had discovered and republished. Thus was born the gothic novel's association with fake documentation to increase its effect. Henceforth, the term was associated with a mood of horror, morbidity, darkness and the supernatural as well as camp and self-parody. The gothic novel established much of the iconography of later horror literature and cinema, such as graveyards, ruined castles or churches, ghosts, vampires, nightmares, cursed families, being buried alive and melodramatic plots. An additional notable element was the brooding figure of the gothic villain, which developed into the Byronic hero. The most famous gothic villain is the vampire, Dracula, originally depicted in a novel by Bram Stoker, then made more famous through the medium of horror movies.

The powerful imagery of horror movies began in German expressionist cinema in the twenties then passed onto the Universal Studios films of the thirties, then to camp horror B films such as Plan 9 From Outer Space and then to Hammer Horror films. By the 1960s, TV series, such as The Addams Family and The Munsters, used these stereotypes for camp comedy.

Certain elements in the dark, atmospheric music and dress of the post punk scene were clearly gothic in this sense. The use of gothic as an adjective in describing this music and its followers led to the term goth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture

12. By all accounts, a genuinely brave girl. Irrespective of her beliefs and fashion and anyone else out of the ordinary, for that matter, when did factions the the young of this Country lose the respect for human life? Why have they lost it? Teachers stabbed, home owners with backbone kicked to death and small boys randomly slotted. I don't remember this sort of thing 30 years ago and I'm sure it would have been reported. OK, people, usually young ones, would beat 7 shades of s**t out of each other but not with the intention of maiming and killing.

13. [​IMG]

I LOL'd slightly....being accused of being a goth for several years. Though the wee chav piglets never seemed to want to lay a finger on me.

Scary, but thoughs going against the norm seem to be all teenagers except for chavs these days.

14. Listening to a debate on the radio at lunchtime about this, and a local was quoted as saying the community is "divided" about this. How can any decent community be "divided" by such a terrible act? This, plus the fact that the convicted pair and their parents smiled and giggled their way through the court case makes me think that these people are total pond-life. Not only jail the teenagers but jail the parents too.

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Josie: Nice cut 'n' paste, but nothing to do with the story, or my point about teenage trends. Thanks for the history lesson, but I was well aware of the 'scene', having dabbled myself many years ago. Realised they were a bunch of losers and moved on in my life... :roll:

16. *Snort*

I am not a Goth being a good indicator that one probably is ;)

17. IM NOT A GOTH(any more) :rage:

...honest. (I'm going to shut up now.)

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Frenzied feral untermenschen kicking innocents to death seems to be a daily event in 'crime is falling' UK. There is no solution available to Governments seeking votes from chav nation or seeking to comply with every last letter of human rights legislation. More law abiding souls minding their own business will get hurt, self defence is so problematic as to be more or less outlawed.

Anyone want to join me in a Munich boozer, start a party?

19. Goths, Vandals, Huns, Teddy Boys, Mods, Rockers, Punks, whatever - what a needless waste of a life. Hopefully. when these little scrotes find themselves locked up with some bigger, meaner people than them, the error of their ways will be pointed our to them, hopefully, in the same manner they treated this poor girl.

20. As per my Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:11 pm, I must stop posting in Swahili! Mods, Rockers, Punks didn't, as far as I remember, aim to kill people. Whether that was out of due regard for common morality or fear of retribution, I don't know; but I do suspect the former.

There is something basically wrong with the society we've voted for. Any f**kwit can notice it or decry it but how do we solve it?