Boy Sailors

Crab

Newbie
Pardon my ignorance, but could anybody tell me when the Navy stopped recruiting 'boy sailors?' Also, when did they stop using the term?
 

dunkers

War Hero
In something like 1957 they changed the term "boy seaman" to "junior seaman". I believe they stopped recruiting them in 1976 when the school leaving age was risen to 16...?
 
The term was still being used in the 60s, as I enlisted as a Boy Seaman Second Class before training as a Junior Stores Assistant.

:)
 

alanbach

Lantern Swinger
Just looked at my comic cuts I had a VG Supr as an R.O.1 in Dec 1958 Rates changed from Tel/Sig to RO/TO in 1958...I imagine the same applied to Boy Tels/Sigs/Seamen making them JRO/JTO/JSEA.
 

onions

GCM
My S459, Certificate of Service, states I joined as a Junior Seaman 2 in June 1956.

Keep Striving.
 

Bergen

ADC
Crab said:
Pardon my ignorance, but could anybody tell me when the Navy stopped recruiting 'boy sailors?' Also, when did they stop using the term?
When I was a boy my grandad took me to visit the grave of Jack Cornwell VC - A boy sailor. His headstone reads:

[align=center]"It is not wealth or ancestry
but honourable conduct and a noble disposition
that maketh men great"[/align]

The citation for his VC is worth reading even now almost 91 years later:-

"The instance of devotion to duty by Boy(1st Class) John Travers Cornwell who was mortally wounded early in the action, but nevertheless remained standing alone at a most exposed post, quietly awaiting orders till the end of the action, with his gun's crew dead and wounded around him. He was under 16 1/2 years old. I regret that he has since died, but I recommend his case for special recognition by justice to his memory and as an acknowledgement of the high example set by him."


RM
 

danny

War Hero
Bergen said:
When I was a boy my grandad took me to visit the grave of Jack Cornwell VC - A boy sailor. His headstone reads:

[align=center]"It is not wealth or ancestry
but honourable conduct and a noble disposition
that maketh men great"[/align]

The citation for his VC is worth reading even now almost 91 years later:-

"The instance of devotion to duty by Boy(1st Class) John Travers Cornwell who was mortally wounded early in the action, but nevertheless remained standing alone at a most exposed post, quietly awaiting orders till the end of the action, with his gun's crew dead and wounded around him. He was under 16 1/2 years old. I regret that he has since died, but I recommend his case for special recognition by justice to his memory and as an acknowledgement of the high example set by him."


RM
I was in Cornwell divsion at raleigh last year they have a load of things on the wall about him . Made some ver interesting reading
 

exile1

Lantern Swinger
My S459 on signing on in Feb 1957 was the revised - august 1939 edition with KR's and "On entry as a Boy" but in fact first name of ship details was HMS Ganges as a Junior Seaman class 2.
Is the present S459 still made of linen? and does the RN still dish out "Hurt Certificates" [that they tried to buy back off you when you left]?
My third question is, why did they have a box " Man's signature on discharge to Pension" [which I had to sign although not going to pension]
 
onions said:
My S459, Certificate of Service, states I joined as a Junior Seaman 2 in June 1956.

Keep Striving.

Onions ---I joined in June 1956 at St Vincent -------H930
was you there --or a Ganges sprog .

And yes thats when it all changed -------- us Juniors mid 1956
with the new pay and conditions regs.
Like signing on for 9 years [CS 1]instead of the 7 and 5 or 12 years.

Pay as a junior------ between £1.11s.6d and £3.3s. 0d

That they kept back till we were 17and a half cos the hair cuts and slops for new items .


:nemo: :nemo:
 
dunkers said:
In something like 1957 they changed the term "boy seaman" to "junior seaman". I believe they stopped recruiting them in 1976 when the school leaving age was risen to 16...?
You're showing your age Dunkers ;) Bless! :biggrin:

The school leaving age was raised to 16 in 1973 and the Navy stopped recruiting 15 year olds from then. The Reserve and Auxiliary Forces retained the minimum joining age at 15 until the mid-late 1980s.

It formally changed over in 1956. Those who joined in January joined as Boys those who joined in December joined as Juniors. For more information see Richard Baker's Dry Ginger, a biography of Adm Sir Michael LeFanu. The rate of Junior was abolished around 1999-2000, along with the abolition of the Ordinary Rate.
 
Greenie said:
Pay as a junior------ between £1.11s.6d and £3.3s. 0d

That they kept back till we were 17and a half cos the hair cuts and slops for new items .


:nemo: :nemo:
Will not forget my first payday in 65. Marched up to the table saluted, shouted out my ships book number, and the Supply officer gave me the princely sum of £1. In was getting more than that from a part time bakers boy before I joined up. Then most of that £1 had to be spent on dhobi dust, whitening, shoe laces etc. Great days.
 

Topstop

War Hero
dunkers said:
In something like 1957 they changed the term "boy seaman" to "junior seaman". I believe they stopped recruiting them in 1976 when the school leaving age was risen to 16...?
School year starting Sept 1972 was the last year you could leave in the 4th. form.
 

brendan498

War Hero
f...k Alan my dad was still a Virgin in 1958

alanbach said:
Just looked at my comic cuts I had a VG Supr as an R.O.1 in Dec 1958 Rates changed from Tel/Sig to RO/TO in 1958...I imagine the same applied to Boy Tels/Sigs/Seamen making them JRO/JTO/JSEA.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Sunday Express: "Terrible Fate Of The Boy Sailors" History 4
MoD_RSS “Events, Dear Boy”: managing incidents before they become crises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bristol boy inspired by Captain Tom wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for London man who kidnapped and sexually abused eight-year-old boy MoD News 0
soleil RN On FB: "It's A Boy" The Fleet 1
Pontius Jungly SAR boy gets a Crab gong The Fleet Air Arm 14
M Swimming question (oh boy this thread again, I know.) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Chicogiz Boy dies after w*nking 42 times! The Gash Barge 9
(granny) Birthday Boy.? Current Affairs 22
FTOeire Boy George Blue Jokes 2
T Charlie Boy Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Boy or Girl Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Guy & Boy Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Welsh Boy Miscellaneous 0
S another naughty boy... The Corps 15
soleil Western/Mrnng News "Marine was killed by boy suicide bomber" The Corps 0
soleil "From Boy Sailor to Raleigh Commander" Bases / Shore Est 3
werqpr Boy Seaman John 'Jack' Cornwell VC History 4
witsend I've been a naughty boy! Diamond Lil's 8
The_Jimmy 13-year-old boy is father to newborn girl Current Affairs 150
ex_rubberdagger Burfday boy Diamond Lil's 12
ex_rubberdagger Burfday boy!! The Gash Barge 2
rod-gearing Birthday Boy Diamond Lil's 23
AfterSSE Portsmouth punts naval boy-on-boy to innocent kiddies Diamond Lil's 3
sadindiefreak HMS Edinburgh....Dirty boy The Quarterdeck 45
N Whinging Boy Racers Again Current Affairs 43
scouse Red faced/smooth boy pilot The Fleet Air Arm 0
sgtpepperband The curious case of the handcuffed boy Diamond Lil's 5
T PRETTY BOY Diamond Lil's 4
navyeo60 Button Boy Ganges....... The Movie History 4
P Fly Boy Anthem The Gash Barge 0
D Just a boy - Richard McCann Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
slim Blunkett's bobbies stood by as boy, 10, drowned Diamond Lil's 34
bigbaddog A Boy-Racers Wet Dream. Diamond Lil's 5
slim Boy racers? They've got small ones, says new anti-speed ad Diamond Lil's 3
slim Boy nets police dog bite payout Diamond Lil's 2
slim Payout for biker who killed boy Diamond Lil's 2
A Events dear boy... events! Blogs 1
slim DRUNKEN BOY COLLAPSED IN ATTEMPTED GETAWAY Diamond Lil's 3
slim Del Boy's Reliant sells for £40,000 Diamond Lil's 1
slim COUNCIL ASK £1,600 FOR CAR IN DEL BOY-STYLE DEAL Diamond Lil's 0
finknottle Not on old boy The Corps 57
barry New boy swinging the lamp Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Seadog Normandy 'Old Boy' Mugged. Current Affairs 13
soleil "Carrier Sailors Lead Naval Involvement In VJ Day Commemorations" History 4
soleil Droitwich Standard: "Sailors To Dock In Droitwich To Talk About 'The Role Of The Royal Navy'" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Forces Network: "Navy Veterans Join Future Sailors For Training On Dartmoor" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Telegraph: "Royal Navy To Halve Number Of Staff At Headquarters, As Sailors Are Redeployed To Front Line Roles" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil PlymouthLive: "Senior Service Remembers The 'Sailors of Auschwitz' On Holocaust Memorial Day" History 2
soleil RN Website: "‘Outstanding’ Sailors Ready For Royal Palace Duties" Bases / Shore Est 16
Similar threads


















































Top