Boxing Technique - Top Tips

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by soleil, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that we have a good thread going in Diamond Lil's, encouraging Zoidberg in his endeavours in the boxing ring, but I'd like to have a thread in Sports, too, in which serious advice on boxing can be given, so that Zoidberg and any other potential boxers can read tips from those who have already boxed, even if only once or twice.

If you have any advice for the novice boxer, please do share it.
  2. Good one, StixJim.

Is there an optimum moment for hitting him?
  3. Before he hits you?
  4. Yup, bout half hour before the fight
  5. Alot of hugging is a must.
  6. but no kissing
  7. Should you try to hit him back straightaway, when he hits you, based on the idea that a) he won't be expecting it b) you might be able to convert some of the energy in his punch into energy in your own blow (I don't know what kind of energy this is - kinetic?) c) he might be off balance as he punched and you can catch him without both of his feet square on the ground?

Or should you take a moment to recover, bide your time, lull him into a false sense of security, watch him from behind your guard and then get him?
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Zoids/any others who are thinking of having a crack at it:
    1. The key to success at novice level is about 75% fitness, 25% technique. That is probably the best advice I can give you.
    2. Fact-not all coaches actually understand the rules of boxing, hence why so many of them argue with judges/referees. If you can get hold of a rule book it certainly wouldn't do any harm to have a quick gander through.
    3. Work rate alone will not win your bouts, SCORING blows will (see point 2).
    4. It is harder for judges to score body shots as they are harder to see clearly. If you go to the body make sure it is a good solid dig and is a scoring blow as defined by the rules: "A scoring blow is a blow landed with the knuckle part of the glove that connects to the opponents target area, that is thrown with reasonable force and DOES NOT infringe any other rules" eg- holding whilst hitting.
  9. tiddlyoggy

Entirely dependant on the style/technique/ability of the individual. No two boxers are identical.
  10. Well the old saying goes, "the one that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming".

You should always try to land the last punch in an exchange as it looks like you've won the exchange and tends to look good to the judges.

The most important point that lots of new fighters tend to ignore is to not hold your breath when you throw a punch, because if you get a counter shot to the body and it winds you, you'll gas really quickly.

(And don't underestimate the effectiveness of a low blow in the clunch :wink: )

11. Brilliant advice, Tiddly.

Is this a suitable book on the rules?
  12. tiddlyoggy

Sorry fella, quite simply not true. It will only look good to the punters. The judges will be keeping an accurate tally of how many punches are thrown, not just the last one. Particularly true if computer or hand held scoring calulators are used instead of "hand scoring". Which is the case for 99.9% of all CSBA bouts these days.
  13. Be careful.......they seem to be using feet as well these days

Watch your opponents eyes, and keep out of the way of his/her fists

If you can see the ceiling, it may be all over
  14. Fair point, my experience is with Thai Boxing, and now you've made me think about it the scoring is entirely different. My bad.
  15. tiddlyoggy

I can't say without a proper look, but it would give a good idea. There are subtle changes to the rules most years, but they tend to relate to what type of shorts are prohibited etc. rather than technical infringements.
    If you go to the gym on any big establishment there should be at least one PTI qualified as a boxing official who would be in possession of a current ABA rulebook. Don't expect them to give you it for keepies though they are in short supply!
  16. Yes Maam, when he comes home!! you in training Sol ???? [​IMG] Ps Hope Tim is fighting the HorizontalKid :lol:
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Hit him back first..." :wink:
  18. In the Blue corner,

Tim's RM opponents await impatiently:

19. I've copied Seafarer1939's post from the Zoid/Boxing thread.

I knew Seafarer would have some tips on this. This is what he says:

Just a couple of tips that you may already know from an old and unmarked boxer[although not too good in the later stages]

Don't throw a jab your full extent as the opponent will know how far to stay out of reach,don't stay out of range of his jabs, a good boxer will slip inside of punchers and counter,always circle the ring anti clockwise for a right handed puncher,circle CW and you walk into it.

The chap who taught me this was the up and coming British Bantamweight contender,the only British boxer at that time the Yanks,who came over scouting,wanted to take back to the States.

He was captured at Dunkirk and knackered 5 years later.

You know this but good luck,I loved boxing just wished I'd have been better.

You will be.