boxing in the navy

ohaire

Badgeman
got my AIB in march, hopefulyl going as a warfare officer, i was wondering, as i box, how it works in the navy, my mate frm my gym who joined the army does it regular and says he spends most of his time in a tracksuit, how does it work in the navy, ie if your on a ship or a boat i dont see much opportunity for training

also looking at form q101, it asks why do i want to become an officer in the rn/rm

im looking at putting, "different line of work with a positive future, good pay, what i imagine to be a great lifestyle"

"lots of oppertunites to take part in sports"

"see new places, meet new people"

all that sort of stuff, what did other guys put

Shakey

War Hero
Most ships have a Physical Training Instructor embarked and circuit training is usually a daily occurence (weather permitting).

Ships usually have some sort of multi-gym and free weights too.

I can't comment on a boxing-specific training regime but if you speak to your PTI about your training needs I'm sure they'll help you achieve your potential.

There's a dit about the Navy's boxing squad in the Dockyard Dandy here:

Navy News

I'd be up for boxing too, it the abscence of the Thai kind.

As for what to put in your reasons, i believe steering clear of the 'for queen and country' line would be good. It's a common pitfall i think. Although to be fair, it is Her Majesty's Service and we want to do her proud!

ohaire

Badgeman
heres what i put

"im looking for a different line of work with a positive future, good pay and benefits as well as an opportunity to travel and take part in sport. Also a career in the armed forces appeals to me as i think i would be making a difference."

ohaire said:
heres what i put

"im looking for a different line of work with a positive future, good pay and benefits as well as an opportunity to travel and take part in sport. Also a career in the armed forces appeals to me as i think i would be making a difference."
Sounds about right - search the careers section of the RN website and you'll get an idea of what to say.

D

Deleted 7

In the old gym at HMS Drake, Raj would hold boxing circuits etc at around 16:10 until 17:20, Mon- Thurs. I am not sure if they are being held any more but worth a skeg, just visit the SARC at HMS Drake or any naval base you are at and the club swingers should be able to help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Forces Network: "Navy On Hunt For Huge #InterServices Boxing Upset" Sports and Adventure Training 10
R Navy Boxing Program Sports and Adventure Training 4
soleil Navy News: RN Boxing: "Close - but Prize goes to Pompey!" Sports and Adventure Training 0
moshe7158 royal navy boxing Sports and Adventure Training 10
N Sports in the navy...Boxing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
tbfyb Boxing/martial arts Health & Fitness 5
Ageing_Gracefully Christmas Draw 2017 - CLOSES on Boxing Day Competitions 45
MoD_RSS News story: Boxing Day deal on mortgages for Armed Forces MoD News 1
JockJack Kick Boxing in the RN Health & Fitness 18
K Boxing/Sports Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Dealwithit Amateur boxing groups? RFA 28
Stirling Boxing films. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
jesse The Boxing Bluejacket! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil Pompey News: "Fareham And Gosport Sailors’ Boxing Show Raises Cash For Clubs" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Pompey News: "Boxing Squad Punches Its Weight To Raise Cash" Sports and Adventure Training 0
Bad CO US v UK Boxing at Royal Albert Hall - Free Entrance Charity 1
soleil Tickets For Troops - Boxing - Royal Albert Hall - October 7th 2011 Sports and Adventure Training 5
O Muay Thai / Boxing at Collingwood and Faslane Hobbies & The Great Indoors 7
T Fitness and boxing - unrelated questions! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Boxing Technique - Top Tips Sports and Adventure Training 29
S Boxing Books The Book Club 2
S Boxing Books Sports and Adventure Training 12
soleil L'pool Echo: "RN offers boxing coaching to novices" Sports and Adventure Training 0
moshe7158 spider kelly rn and england boxing captain Sports and Adventure Training 0
richardgriffiths martial arts / boxing etc Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Royal selected for RN Boxing Squad The Corps 5
P Boxing Hobbies & The Great Indoors 12
soleil Medals for RN Boxing Team at Women's ABA Nationals Sports and Adventure Training 0
tiddlyoggy combined services boxing championships Sports and Adventure Training 38
The_Jimmy What is Boxing Day? Diamond Lil's 6
R Boxing at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Boxing Sports and Adventure Training 3
Chicogiz Boxing Sports and Adventure Training 31
U boxing Sports and Adventure Training 13
slim Boxing champ on benefit charges Diamond Lil's 2
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
higthepig Navy news June 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
D Navy as a last resort option Joining the Royal Navy 61
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 26
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
H I want to join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
J Can I join the Navy if I was previously on Anti-Depressants? Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news May 2020 The Quarterdeck 1
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1