Boxing at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rule_Britannia, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am due to get my date for Raleigh soon and was wondering whether there´s a boxing club there that I can train at? Also are there any other martial arts or combat sports I can train in whilst there?

Thanks!

2. You won't have time.

3. Yeah, that. ^^

You are, after all being trained as someone that is going to fight for their country, there's hardly time or the need to draw on the PTIs time to train you in a martial art.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Isn't it time you were in school.

What vast experience of the RN are you basing your advice on?

5. Unless times have changed, I think you'll find that there will be plenty opportunity (albeit perhaps in your own time) for Boxing - if you are any good that is. As I remember it, getting into the Boxing team was a sure fire way of being able to skive off from a lot of other less appealing duties. But, that was a while ago and things may be different in the modern navy.

6. Back behind the bikesheds and impart your pearls of wisdom on the first years. Once again spouting off about a subject you have no knowledge about. :pukel:

7. The answer is Yes.......................There are both Boxing and other martial arts clubs available to you once you are in the RN.

Regards

Neil

:nemo:

8. The website for the Royal Navy Boxing Association is currently under maintenance but the front page gives the e-mail details of someone who may be able to advise you further:

http://www.rnboxing.org.uk/index.php

9. Is that you Credders? Chico then? Norman????? Oh that's right, the 15 year old applying for a 6th Form grant. :threaten:

10. The answer to this one would normally be no for the Raleigh side of things. Unless you're going for one of the logs branches or the submarine service you'll only be at Raleigh for phase one training and you certainly won't have time to box then (you also won't be allowed afaik, some guys asked about it when I was at Raleigh and were told to come back after they'd passed out).

Once you've completed phase one though, have a chat with the guys in your next establishment's gym, I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help.

11. Shut the feck up with that bollix :toilet:

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

R_B,
    I am a member of the RNBA. As already stated on this site you won't have time during basic training to box. After that however, all large establishments have boxing squads and some ships have a coach onboard, so there is nothing to stop you training then (albeit in your own time). If you're good enough to make the navy squad you will be given the opportunity to train full time, with all sorts of opportunities (Olympics if you're good enough etc) if there is anything specific about RN boxing you want to know feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you. Hope this helps and good luck with the noble art.

13. Think it was week 3 of part 1 training @ Raleigh we were introduced to the art of milling, paired off and then given one minute to beat the crap out of your oppo wearing sparring gloves, any good and you had to turn up at the gym next day at 0630 to start boxing training.

14. I thought that was just the paras that did that?!

15. ....well you thought wrong then.

16. Oh poor you, would you like me to care?

I don't seem to give a damn what you think, whatever should I do next.

17. WTF are you trying to say whippersnapper?
    Now what you should do next if that's what the second sentence is asking is:

1. Read your replies before pressing the submit button. If you do not know WTF you are talking about don't press the button! :pukel:

2. Don't give any more advice on service matters to those who may take some notice of it. You have never served and so don't know WTF you are talking about :toilet:

3. Keep attending school and listen to your teachers, perhaps some day you may make a passable Steward for some unlucky occifer!

Now drink your Horlicks before mama reads you a bedtime story about sailors and tucks you in for the night :w00t:

18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Slim,
    I'm with you here shippers. At first I was quite impressed by Sentenashi's confidence and small amount of naval knowledge, now I realise that he's just another gobby sprog who should get back in his box.

19. I think rating him up to Sprog is too kind. Presently he is still a troglodyte :pukel:

20. Thank you.