Bounty - are we worth it...?

noemis

Lantern Swinger
veryparttimer said:
I know this will get a few people's backs up but follows a conversation at our last drill night...

Given the current JPA debacle and rush to get bounty, this got me wondering about the merits of bounty. I certainly was not aware of this payment when I decided to join but it is a nice little fillip to the finances! However, given the current budget strictures just think how much more training/travel/equipment could be funded if we waived our entitlement?

If we take a ball park 2000 RNR with an average bounty entitlement of £500 (as a rough guesstimate), that's £1m back in the pot...better still, use this to fund equipment for front line troops where its really needed.

I have heard the argument that it is vital to retention, but surely better traing and equipment would also help? We get paid (in theory) for the time we put in and for expenses incurred (again in theory!). This seems to be a drain on resource in a time of financial hardship.

I will don my flak jacket now and run for cover.....
Are you Tony or Gordon?

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
noemis said:
veryparttimer said:
I know this will get a few people's backs up but follows a conversation at our last drill night...

Given the current JPA debacle and rush to get bounty, this got me wondering about the merits of bounty. I certainly was not aware of this payment when I decided to join but it is a nice little fillip to the finances! However, given the current budget strictures just think how much more training/travel/equipment could be funded if we waived our entitlement?

If we take a ball park 2000 RNR with an average bounty entitlement of £500 (as a rough guesstimate), that's £1m back in the pot...better still, use this to fund equipment for front line troops where its really needed.

I have heard the argument that it is vital to retention, but surely better traing and equipment would also help? We get paid (in theory) for the time we put in and for expenses incurred (again in theory!). This seems to be a drain on resource in a time of financial hardship.

I will don my flak jacket now and run for cover.....
Are you Tony or Gordon?
Or Dick?

Manny

Interesting suggestions about increasing bounty. Obviously would get a lot of votes from within the RNR e.g. you could give a £500 increase after 10 years, again at 15 years etc.

As you rightly say, retention is a big issue as money is spent on training people once they come through the door. In order to get value for money, those recruits have to spend a good number of years contributing to the organisation once they reach TPS. It's not rocket science, is it??!!

Why can't the Big Cheeses see it though? No point in getting 100s in at the front door if they don't stay long enough to be of any use.

Personally, I think once people reach 20 years service, they should get £5000 one-off payment, company car, BUPA, index linked pension!

noemis

Lantern Swinger
It is total madness to suggest that if we were to surrender our bounty, in lieu of training and travel, that it would be ring fenced off for that purpose.

This must come from the same simple mind that thinks that if we don't let the Para's jump out of planes for 4 years, we will happily reinstall that capability when the money has been saved. Give us a break, if this happens, the Para's will never jump out of planes again and everyone in the RNR might as well join the specials!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
photface Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
P Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
P Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0