BOST helpful hints.........

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Guns, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Edited as I am supposed to have my CO's permission to post on blogs etc. Not got and don't need the heat at the moment.

Post was helpful hints for BOST. PM me if you are about to go and I can pass on what ever useful knowledge I have. Aimed at PWO level.

2. And keep a sense of humour for gods sake .

3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

As above

4. I know this is not a breach of OPSEC perse, but maybe it should be toned down a tadge??

Just a personal thought?

5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

As above

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No OPSEC breach and nothing close to the mark that I can see BH. One call sign may ask if what Guns surely means by x is y. Perhaps a couple of other posters will fret because they don't understand the TLAs and feel left out (not always a bad thing).

And learn how to use the buddy connection bayonet fastening. It foxes 9/10 users, showing who doesn't pay attention.

Thanks Guns.

7. Listen to yor Senior Rates, they are not habitual liars, theyve done it before and it will make your time a lot easier. Remember FOST are there to train you not trip you up. If you make a mistake, learn from it and move on. dont let it nigle away at you.

8. BOST helpful hints - ....................................

Become a WAFU - havent done one for what must be at least 7 or 8 years.

awaiting incoming from sea lurrrrrvers

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hope that isn't the case, I was an NBCD Searider for FOST mobile for over two years & we went to great lengths to try & ditch the poor reputation. By staying on the ships overnight we were able to achieve a much better training schedule tailored to the level at which the ship was at. Every evolution we undertook was requested by the ship, each scenario would be "Table-Topped" the night before to ensure everyone knew their specific job. It's pointless just going in like a bull in a china shop & decimating a demoralised crew.

It would be a very great shame if someone decided to turn it into an "Us & Them" mentality again because they are affected by Napoleon syndrome & reason that: "It used to be harder, in my day". Fools like that, we can do without.

10. During tactical flying trust your AC, they normally have some good ideas

11. In my time in FOST....as the s/m PO I hasten to add, I saw nothing but absolute determination from the Green lime to give the BOST ships company the best they could provide at all times. When working late in Portland trying to sort out the FOST submarine requests and demands the lights very often burned later into the night in the ajoining offices! There was always a "are we doing enough and can we do any more for the BOST ship".

The FOST lads ALWAYS put the training first, second and third! It may not have seemed that way to the ship undergoing the "fire, flood and famine" evolutions.

Often the FOSTIES would arrive back from sea via SOOTAX at sunset, debrief, eat, rack out and fly back to the ship at sunrise.

Some of them were a bit full of themselves but ALL of them were commited to giving 100% to the training. This isn't rose tinted specs viewing but as I saw it live!

12. Well, as an ex FOST Comms searider and having left both FOST and the RN last June, I can only add to what SELJUK has posted. Both my colleagues and I often went out of our way to ensure the ship benefited as much as possible from their time in area. The 'T' was most definately for 'training' when I was there.

True, there were a few old dinosaurs who thought it best to beast or belittle people when they had the chance, but they were in short supply IMHO.

I would always try to give a balanced debrief and of course, report, but at times you had to be cruel to be kind.

Long hours for the ships also meant long hours for the staff as well and as has been quoted in other post; Searide, debrief, report, scran, dhoby, sleep and then back out early next day was often the norm for some of us.

The overnight stops were good for both the ship and staff and allowed a bit of interaction other than 'assessing' and I can honestly say I enjoyed the Phase 2 (now phase 3) time aboard some of the 23's I rode. I was made to feel very welcome aboard them all.

Saying all that, I feel during my time as a searider, some of the gold braid seemed to be intent on making it too pink and fluffy. (My opinion) with some ships being told they were better than they actually were, with some reports being amended to suite. ;-)

13. Biggest tips, read the OST guide and the look at the previous reports (there will always be old reports). Make sure the areas for improvement are actioned if material, if procedural then Table top and ask questions during work up/shakedown, even contact the FOSTie direct before their arrival and ask. Listen to the FOST staff, dont fight the white...Oh and read the OST, it contains a substantial amount of helpful information.
    I agree with SEJUK, FOSTi'es do work hard and this is seldom recognised elsewhere. As for the T in FOST being for [email protected], you always going to upset someone, no-one in their right mind enjoys OST/BOST etc. But if FOST staff are enforcing naval core standards and becoming a little harder, I for one welcome it. Havent there been enough threads on rum ration about the drop in standards and problems with discpline? But I dont want a return to the green death, just somewhere inbetween.

14. Holy sh*t! A night at sea whilst in a 'rider' billet on work up!! You boys really are burning the candle at both ends! Try a 3 to 4 week stint onboard and then burning your 8's on completion! Oh hold on thats why we get 3 weeks LSA, roger yir job! Love, your friends in the North!!!!!!!!!!!! (tongue firmly in cheek!)(we're all green death!)

Dolphin Code 27/28!!!!!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah yes "CSST" are essentially borne as additional members of the boat's crew of course.

At FOST Mobile, the longest we stayed on any one ship was 10 days on Invisible enroute to the Gulf War thingy.

What is interesting was that post Falklands, amongst the many "Lessons Learned" (or more correctly: 're-iterated from WWII') was (quote) "..the gentlemanly conduct in which the Marine Engineering department conducts it's peacetime day to day business cannot be tolerated during Damage Control in combat theatres"

What that translated to was that rather than the Dad's Army's Sergeant Wilson: "Would you mind awfully...?" approach didn't work when you were under fire, scared witless & fighting for your life- Positive, Assertive & Clear leadership would win the day.

I went on to be an instructor at Rosyth Fireschool in the late 80's & boy, did we have to toughen-up the training! It became almost cruel in it's harshness to try and instill "artificial fear" to make it as realistic as possible. Gentlemany conduct was most certainly not employed.

16. Rgr Ninja, Have been subject to (and f**king suffered!) from the whole lot, FOST in Portland, SSOTS in Rosyth and CSST (FOST(SM) nowadays) and would concur with all the posts, ref hardwork and the boys training being the main focus despite the perception that riders are the spawn of the devil!!!

17. Wow what a lot of ex FOSTies we have here. I must admit me too, though a very long time ago, and not a sea rider, was in the old ASTT at Portland when it was still driven by ARL tables. I occasionally sat in on the Friday how did they do this week meeting chaired by FOST himself and the ethos was then very certainly how do we get HMS xyz up to pass standard, not how can we fail them or how can we make their life a misery. Most sea riders were puttin in 50 to 70 hour 5 day weeks which is great for a 'shore job'

18. The scene: end of a 10 day work-up, CSST on board, heaves at all hours (mostly my off-watch, seemingly). 30 minutes into the last heave, multiple disasters, when into DCHQ comes one of the stewards, totally drenched from head to toe (having been appropriately shoved into a shower "for effect") shouting that there is flood in the WSC....DCHQ, which had been a controlled riot of sound goes silent as every man looks the steward from head to toe, then bursts out laughing. Capt CSST (who normally did a good impression of the lead martian in "Mars Attacks!" - ack ack) not too happy. Still, we fought the fires, isolated the bursts, and plugged the holes.

Invaluable training for the extended deployment we had. CSST/FOST have a job to do and did (do?) it well, preparing the ship's company for any possibility. Personally, I slept better at night knowing my oppos knew what to do when the sh*t hit the fan and I was in my rack.

19. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thats just taken me right back..... I feel giddy.... ARL tables..

20. Probably not quite as far back as that lot went, they had originally been installed in the Tactical School at Woolwich in 1936.