Boris Mayor of London Comes up Trumps

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Jun 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News release this morning free travel for many veterans and veterans widows.

Vets Travel

"From 2 November all war veterans in receipt of a pension under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, including war widows and widowers and eligible dependents, will be able to travel for free on Transport for London bus, Tube, tram, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground services. The Train Operating Companies have also backed the Mayor in agreeing that war veterans will be able to travel free on their services within Greater London."

This includes visitors not just residents

Go Boris Go

Nutty

2. Won't a sizeable number of them be eligible anyway due to the free travel for the over 60's? I realise there will be many veterans who are not over 60, but this scheme is not going to see that many extra bums on seats though.

Well done though.

Happy Veteran's Day.

James

3. Why does it always have to come down to numbers, surely it's not remotely about boosting train travel? In the words of an earlier Tory icon, for heaven's sake "just rejoice."

4. ....every single UK war veteran...

Need to wait and see what the criteria are, but it looks from the wording as if it's all in receipt of a pension, which is potentially a lot of people.

5. Karma

You of all people, you are usually so precise in these things. The press release clearly states that any person who is entitled to claim under either Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or War Pensions Scheme which covers people with disablement can claim of. MOD records reveal that about 2600 people in London Greater Area alone will qualify and over 8000 in the UK can have a travel oyster (card) if they wish to travel for free in London.

Now of course we would like all veterans to have this privilige, but it is harder to justify giving it to a healthy 45 year old who is drawing a Military pension and perhaps earning another £25.000 pa. when there are other groups with a reasonable claim.

Nutty

6. Well done Boris, a good start to your "reign" it appears!!

7. Fair, I parsed that as part of the overarching compensation scheme, ie pension. My main reaction was wtf, that's completely unjustifiable in most cases, the figures you quote make it much more reasonable.

8. At least the tories care about our armed forces, I hope to god 2010 is a resounding tory victory. I certainly know which way Ill be voting.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Erm, care to quantify that? The Defence Review that resulted in our current shortages in personnel and equipment was commissioned when the Tories were in Government. And any soundbite or affirmative comment made when you are in Opposition is pure rhetoric...

8O

10. Really? F*ck me I didnt know that. I thought it was the work of new labour cronies.

11. Very true, i believe the Royal Marines were only saved from the slash because of the Falklands campaign.

Anyway i do think its time we gave somebody other than neu lieber a chance to fcuk things up, it couldnt get any worse!!

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Many thanks for the tip-off Nutty including the bit about the Forces Railcard of which I was unaware.

13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

In my opinion every serving member should be able to flash his/her ID card and receive free public transport. This country acts as a fighting nation, built on the actions of past accomplishments.

Hmmmmm, run by penpushers, acted on by heros.

14. If a veteran is on the higher rate of mobility allowance s/he will already be entitled to "free" public transport. However I must congratulate Mayor Boris for his excellent initiative.

BZ Boris.

15. The VCTS Oyster Card for free travel in the TFL area of London for veterans in recepit of regular payments from a War pension or Armed Forces Compensation scheme, widows of veterans and dependants, which was first issued by Boris Johnson and TFL in 2008 is due to expire in May 2012.

I have just had an email from Boris / TFL informing me that the scheme is to be extended and veterans who have cards will get a letter soon inviting them to renew them.

Presumably for those who may not have been aware of this and qualify, will now be able to apply for one some time soon.

Full Details Here --> War veterans | Transport for London

16. Why should American "veterans" be entitled ?

Strange how this American term has been adopted.