Border Country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40819687
The Irish PM has been in Belfast today mithering about what will happen at the border between the Irish Republic and the UK after Brexit. He says it is a big problem with little time to sort it out. I may have missed something but I haven't heard any politician say that a hard border between the two countries should be reinstated. There is no hard border between Switzerland(non-EU) and all the EU countries which surround it. Is there a problem we've not been told about? There is no hard border between Norway(non-EU) and Sweden(EU). Is there a problem there we've not been told about?
Are the Irish seeing problems where few if any exist?
The only clue I have is what an old friend of mine told me. He has lived in the Irish Republic for the last fifteen years and says that the Irish are "bricking it" because they depend on the UK so much for supplies of all kinds of goods and of course selling us stuff like beef, butter etc. Should this bilateral trade cease the Irish would be in deep do-do.

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
I also think they've lost sight of the common travel area between the UK and the Irish Republic. IIRC, it's been around since 1922, so long before any EEC or EU nonsense.

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
I also think they've lost sight of the common travel area between the UK and the Irish Republic. IIRC, it's been around since 1922, so long before any EEC or EU nonsense.
Having checked further, it started in 1923, but the agreements for it are not legally enforceable; presumably it could be easy to make them enforceable and remove the (apparent) problem.

We have a sea border between us and Northern and Southern Ireland, let them travel freely within Ireland and we can control our borders at the ports and airports, two Lanes:

1. Northern Irish (Gerry Adams and co Stand Fast) .
2. The Southerners and anybody else trying to use the route to get in illegally.

Could be problems if Mexican boat people come ashore to pick Roosters and Kerrs Pink . UK exports are a trouble and wetbacks may chip Scottish tatties .

Scran_Bag

Lantern Swinger
Could be problems if Mexican boat people come ashore to pick Roosters and Kerrs Pink . UK exports are a trouble and wetbacks may chip Scottish tatties .
I could not agree more.....................................................not ! W.T.F. are you on about, or more importantly, W.T.F. are you drinking ?

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
I understood the bit about the potatoes, but . . . . . . . . Mexicans? The Irish already have plenty of Poles and other Eastern Europeans for that kind of work.

Trump's fire and fury in Korea ain't nothin compared to his electric fence:
" 2018 budget calls for $2.6 billion for “high-priority tactical infrastructure and border security technology.” . Trump said last week his wall would pay for itself if it were made of solar panels."

Where else is there to go but NE to Ireland?

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
I am finding it a tad difficult to link: a 1970's rock band, an American bit actor, a labour politician, a gorilla and a happy jock potato....
Chimera - please advise.