Boozing

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by creddly, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey lads! Creddly here!!!

I went out last night for my brother's birthday and I came in at about 9 because I didn't feel the best. I only had 3 or 4 pints and I've decided that drinking isn't for me. I'm just not in-love with booze and I don't think it much likes me. As I said I had 3 or 4 pints and even though I didn't feel sick and I sobered up by half 10, I still felt uneasy and not so good. So I've decided no more drinking now!!

What does this have to do with the Navy?

Well I've heard that when going into any Armed Force, you'd better learn to drink - So I'm asking those who know best, is it a good idea not to drink if you're going in the Navy. Will your Navy buddies take the mickey out of you for not drinking? Also, are there any substitutes to drink when I go out, because I don't wanna stop going out, I just don't wanna drink anymore!

I know it's shameful that I don't want to drink and I can't even handle 3 - 5 pints but it's a decision I've made and I'm sticking to it!

Any help would be great thanks! :D

2. hey creddly i have not seen you on msn u comin on today... have a good old chatter

stickin to the subject aswell if you dont drink no one minds you will buy the same round though but yours will be a soft drink and if you can drive you will ALWAYS be the designated driver good things to know that your getting your oppos back safe.

3. I doubt if these days peaple would be bothered if you drank or not , when I joined up in 71 it was part of the culture so to speak , I still drink like a fish but no where near as much as I used to & very rarely spirits , I have a 19 year old daughter in the RAF & she does'nt drink , still goes out with her mates & it does'nt bother them at all , do what you feel is right mate & dont be pressurised into drinking , makes a change to see someone with a bit of common dog , & not a typical teenage binge drinker that the papers seem to be full of , go for it matey , 8)

4. Go to the CPOSA and draw a backbone. If you do not want to drink, say so, and tell anyone who calls you a titchy-kegging lightweight poof to foxtrot oscar.
    If you are just looking for alternatives to pints, try a nice gin and tonic. When the room starts to go on spin cycle then you can take the G out of the equation.

5. Ditto ,

Union Rooms , 1900ish , 14 / 12/ 06/, the south west contingent RR run ashore , be there peaple , 8)

6. They do a nice G&T in the ,spoons. Lime instead of lemon, and the right sort of glass.

7. hope your gonna do another run of shore in pompy in the around time of say anytime after 21/01/07

8. Why don't you arrange one yourself?

9. Run of shore !!!!!!!, [Run a shore] , I still say it now & I've been outside 11 years , certain sayings that you will always say no matter how long you been out , "going for a dhoby" being one that comes straight to mind ,

10. Creddly

Don't know how old you are son, but try a drop of rum instead of the beer!! "G" "T" or "UA" are a thing of the past i know, and you'll know not what i am taking about with those issues.Rum is good for you, my Doc told me so!! 8O

11. If you don't want to drink, then IMHO, you should not be ridiculed for it. I love a drink as it goes, but can fully understand those who do not. Fair play to you and stick with it mate.

Young ET Pooley. How are you managing to send posts on here during the day when you are supposed to be in training at Collingwood? I expect you are on yet more UPT eh?

12. Hi people!

Lol, wow I only posted about an hour ago and expected at most a single reply and I've got 10!

Thanks for your words of support!

Someone asked my age, well I'm 20.

Pooley mate! Will defo be on msn tonight with another loads of ?s for you! lol

It's not that I'm trying to cut out drink for health reasons, although it would help in the old health department, especially since I don't smoke or eat unhealthy - It's just the last 3 times I've been out drinking, I've come home ill and depressed! I wasted good money yesterday, to come home and feel ill and I'm not doing it no more!

Thanks for the words of support again lads!

13. Your more than welcome matey, :lol:

14. i used to think the exact same way, but then i realised the more drunk i got the uglyer girl i got and the less guilty i felt when i swerved her every call and text.

so it helpped me.

money is just another possesion comes and goes.