Booties guard boaties

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Flagdeck, Mar 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would appear that we're agreeing again here - misuse of the armed forces without a doubt.

I'm all for protest against elitism but can't help thinking Oldfield is a bit of a twat. The boat race may be viewed as elitist, but so can Glastonbury Festival these days - seriously considering the Hay Lit Festival myself this year which is probably a bit posh. I don't consider Oxbridge an elitist institution(s), just the best (or two of the three best if I remember last year's tables). If it had been a public school boatrace I'd have donned a wetsuit myself. Metaphorically.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Elitist, arrogant, ignorant, waste of taxpayers money. No way.

The RN already invests well over £5M each year with the URNU organisation, which produces under 30 Officers a year, goes to sea at weekends and between 3-4 weeks over Easter/summer and provides "future leaders" with a "first drive". It also educates those with no intention of joining the armed forces. Bargain.

An interesting comment on the RM Recruiting Facebook page (screenshot below) and an alleged video clip of the Cambridge crew on the Isis earlier today, establishing goodwill and their appreciation of the protection afforded by Royal. Video Clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BKkf3HUj8Ks

Elitist, arrogant, ignorant, waste of taxpayers money. Surely not?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good post Ninja-Stoker, "yah they have no idea of what is going on" snobby jumped up little tits.

4. Well what else is there to spend money on in the UK.
    We all have plenty if we work.
    Suppose we are squandering overseas aid, so yes waste of money.

5. A few Hooray Henerettas given the good news later today then? :salut::laughing5:

6. Ok I'm hungover and possibly thick. Can someone explain what is going on in that vid??????

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think Royal put his boat in the way

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Basically, it looks like the 'light blue cox'ed eight' are doing some light exercise (nowhere near race tempo) rowing leisurely downstream. The motor launch is sounding a warning siren & shouting at Royal to "Get out of the way". Royal responds - "Try saying PLEASE"

The cock, sorry cox (or trainer) in the accompanying Cambridge motor launch then appears to announce to the eight over a megaphone: "They...They've got no idea or concept wh...what's going on".

Problem is of course, the people actually rowing the boat are facing backwards to the direction of travel & their cox, the smallest in the boat, charged with steering, cannot see directly in front of them as he is sat at the stern. The motor launch is the "safety boat" but the trainer appears a little 'power-pissed' and unnecessarily abrupt given the circumstances and the fact that RM LC's tend to be fairly savvy and were comfortably clear without the need for the display of arrogance from the safety boat. If they were racing, fair call, but otherwise it's worthy of a Daily Mail screaming headline about "toffs" shouting at "our boys".

• Like Like x 1
  9. I knew the crabs would have to get their 10p worth in. :)

10. In my eagerness to display my proletariat credentials I may have been a tad 'hypocritical' with my use of the word 'elite'....Indeed, my youngest son went to Oxford via the comprehensive education system.I warned him about 'toffs kids'...but he remarked....'I'll drink with anybody'. A few years ago he was made a Freeman of the City of London so now he gets to drive his sheep over London bridge....now thats elitism !

11. That'll explain why you never wanted to join The Corps then Guzz............:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Some inverted snobbery going on here I think. The Boat Race, for all sorts of inexplicable British reasons, attracts large crowds and a lot of telly viewers, so has become a public function even though it is legally a private event arranged by the two boat clubs, and even though its result sometimes seem to depend on which can recruit the biggest Americans. So it does make sense to make sure it isn't f'd up as it was last year. Why the Met have to ask RM to do it I don't know but perhaps RM are happy for a photo op.

Chap who was an NS mid in my gunroom a million years ago was in the Cam boat later - then much later in THAT Chinook.

A shadow here of the idea that Oxbridge doesn't take enough State-educated students. For my money, that's down to the schools, not the Universities.

13. I would agree with that - I don't see anybody protesting about the widespread use of British forces at the annual "All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Association" bash (AKA Wimbledon). I always thought it was a damn good jolly and the additional London weighting allowance came in handy. Besides, a lot of protesters know where they stand with the police and therefore take liberties. I am sure the would-be Boat Race protesters perspective was slightly altered when faced with a hairy-arsed Royal Marine Commando with a "Go ahead civvy, make my day" expression on his face :)

Up The Andrew!!

Hosk.

14. Bloody hell! We rowed at school so I must be one of the elite.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don't worry the stench of peasant coming off you cancels out the elite ^~

• Like Like x 1
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Crikey - I must be posh as well; I rowed almost daily with my ex-wife... :shock:

17. back in your day was it not called pulling to stop you thinking you were elite, and keep you in your place?=D

18. Sumo, I have never known my place.

19. Front page of Daily Whale...

Royals riddle Cambridge boat after mistaking it for a splash target